Anthony Gullley's Family Burned by Willis

WaDE'05

On the Rivals Open Forum a guy who is apparently Anthony Gulley's cousin (I know, but just read... it's legit) offers a lot of insight into CJW douchebaggery in his last week at Auburn.

***I know, the horse is dead. My apologies for posting another CJW thread, but if you check it out, I'm sure you'll find it pretty insightful***

Link

Comments from Gulley's Cousin...

As a family member, we are happy we have complete offer from AU. This week, has been the worse week for Anthony and his family. Coach Chizik and Coach Malzhan arrived at Brantley High School around 3PM yesterday, and spent a hour meeting with the family and reaffirming there committment to Anthony.

Anthony takes his final recuiting trip today and tomorrow, at Troy, and plans to make his final committment and sign next Wednesday at Brantley High School.

With that being said, as for our situation with Coach Willis, he was considered a friend of the family, it wasnt until this past Tuesday, that he almost ruined any chance of AU signing Anthony.

Coach Willis, mislead, Anthony, his parents, and Coach Lowery (Brantley HS Coach) and did not give them the proper information about the university's stance on his offer.

I recieved a phone call of Anthonys parents on Wednesday night, and both me and my father, decided to make a effort to contact AU directly, before they decided to write Auburn off.

Within, hours of Thursday morning, Coach Perry, Coach Chizik, Coach Trooper, and Coach Malzhan reasurred us of their committment to sign Anthony, and planned to visit him Friday afternoon.

AU Coaches kept their word, and did more than we had expected. Everyone, at AU, was helpful, and polite. But, the final decision will come down to Anthony.

The family has no ill feeling toward Coach Willis, but do not want Coach Willis to contact them, nor do they need to hear Coach Willis's explaination.

When we told the AU Coaches on Thursday morning, of what Coach Willis told our family, and had done to several other recuits. The AU Staff, was shocked and in disbelief, on what Coach Willis was doing. We actually felt bad for AU, as we believe that they are great coaches, but greater individuals.

BTW, Anthony will more likely be playing on offense, with Trooper Taylor as his WR's Coach and under Gus Malzhan's offense. Gus seems very excited to have Anthony, if he commits, as Anthony is likely hided gem in the South.

Anthony is a very good boy, with a diffcult childhood. He embodies the character that we want people to know in our family. If you ever see us with Anthony, you will understand what I mean. Anthony has had big dreams, but many setbacks in life, everyone in our family will do anything possible to see those dreams come true.

If anyone has any questions, I will be happy to answer them, but I will not engage in verbel warfare over schools, I can only answer what applies to us and how we were treated.

Anthony has narrowed his list down to 2 or 3 schools, and will make his final decision at Brantley High School on Wednesday. It will be a great day for Anthony, our family, Brantley High School, the coaches at Brantley, the students, and the whole town of Brantley, to see one of their own commit.

His reply when the next poster pre-apologized for all of the posters that would question his validity...

I figured I probaly would get flamed, but my post is real, and I keep in contact with my family and Anthony a pretty good bet. I live in Montgomery, and my father owns Auto Trim Design, and both and me him, made the calls to the AU Recuiting Dept. to settle the information we were being fed by Coach Willis to our family.

BTW, I am Anthony's cousin, and my Aunt and Uncle actually asked me to post, so some things can get cleared up. The are getting tired of the recuiting circus and the phone calls and pressure.

I actually sent emails out to the radio and press to explain issues. Honestly, how I described the matter about Coach Willis, is timid compared to what my Aunt and Uncle wanted to say.

But, we are adults and want to act civil, and move on in the apporiate direction, and do what is best for Anthony. My Aunt and Uncle, refuse to take any phone calls over the weekend, til after the Troy visit, and on Monday night, will discuss as a family, Anthonys future.

Are those averages right on rivals?! It has him with a 20 yard per rush, 31.9 per reception, 40.7 per kickoff return, and 40.6 per punt return averages. I don't care what size of a school you play at, that is impressive!

http://auburn.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?...064&sport=1

Well OK, then. I was going to present you with the Honarable Jar of Glue (traditional dead horse award) but after reading that, I just want to say ... thanks. Only goes to prove that willis has no character/class and is in the exact place he needs to be. uat & he deserve each other.

Gulley's cousin & family sound like upstanding citizens. I'm only disappointed in not getting to hear what Gulley's momma had to say 'bout willis. That would have been entertaining, to say the least. B)

his highlight reel is 2 mins long and doesn't have a single play that is less than 30yds. He outruns a lot of good angles. Makes them whiteboys look 'terrbull', as Chuck would say.

From this account (if true, and I'm not saying it's not)), it sounds like JW had his own agenda, an agenda not in Auburn or Anthony Gulley's best interest. My question is how long has Willis been up to no good?

I am thankful that coaches Chizik, Taylor and Malzahn responded quickly in word and deed when notified of the situation.

My question is how long has Willis been up to no good?

I don't know how long he's been up to no good. I do know that he's BEEN no good for three years, with only one (count 'em, ONE) competed for player signed that has contributed to the AU team. Mike McNeil is it for us since Joe Whitt retired and Willis took over the Mobile area. Particularly spectacular was his OH-fer Mobile performance last year, when there were more than 10 big-time prospects in the area. In spite of the fact that CTT visited frequently to help Willis out, we still got zilch.

If $aban hadn't hired Willis away, something would have had to be done anyway.

I'm a little slow. What exactly did Willis do to AG and his family?

I give you the "Question of the Thread Award."

It's not obvious to me either.

told him his' offer status wasn't certain when it was.

I'm a little slow. What exactly did Willis do to AG and his family?

From an article of Jan. 21:

Gulley wants to commit to Tigers:

Brantley High School's Anthony Gulley says he's ready to commit to Auburn when the opportunity arises.

Auburn is reviewing its recruiting board and the prospect of adding Gulley. Gulley, listed as an all-purpose athlete on most recruiting boards but was a running back at Brantley, visited Auburn last weekend and came away favorably impressed. He has canceled a planned visit to Troy for this weekend.

link: http://www.al.com/hsfootball/birminghamnew....xml&coll=2

From cousin's statement:

With that being said, as for our situation with Coach Willis, he was considered a friend of the family, it wasnt until this past Tuesday, that he almost ruined any chance of AU signing Anthony.

Coach Willis, mislead, Anthony, his parents, and Coach Lowery (Brantley HS Coach) and did not give them the proper information about the university's stance on his offer.

Exactly how Willis was misleading is not specified, but this statement sounds like Willis may have been stringing Gulley along:

As a family member, we are happy we have complete offer from AU. This week, has been the worse week for Anthony and his family. Coach Chizik and Coach Malzhan arrived at Brantley High School around 3PM yesterday, and spent a hour meeting with the family and reaffirming there committment to Anthony.

Supposedly, Gulley was not the only recruit being mislead.

Wasn't it in the news for days that AU had not offered AG a scholarship?

If so, couldn't someone pick up the phone and tell him without him having to wait for a personal visit on Friday?

I recieved a phone call of Anthonys parents on Wednesday night, and both me and my father, decided to make a effort to contact AU directly, before they decided to write Auburn off.

Within, hours of Thursday morning, Coach Perry, Coach Chizik, Coach Trooper, and Coach Malzhan reasurred us (my addition: via phone I suspect) of their committment to sign Anthony, and planned to visit him Friday afternoon.

AU Coaches kept their word, and did more than we had expected.

... If so, couldn't someone pick up the phone and tell him without him having to wait for a personal visit on Friday?

That's what happened eventually. The family became suspicious and placed a call to the AU staff. Again, we don't know exactly but it's clear from this post (if true) that willis wasn't being completely truthful & honest about AG's offer/status with AU. Read between the lines and you get the implication that he was led to believe AU did not have an offer for him -- which the current coachig staff has corrected with a confirmed offer. Like I said earlier ... I'm just sorry we couldn't hear AG's momma talk about it(!) Also, they imply that Willis was sabotaging other recruits that were interested in AU. How many & who exactly? Don't know & don't think the full story will ever get out unless someone talks & starts naming names. Regardless, I am really glad the douchenozzle is now working for $abun. They deserve one another. Karma is a byotch and willis will just have to find this out for himself.

Within, hours of Thursday morning, Coach Perry, Coach Chizik, Coach Trooper, and Coach Malzhan reasurred us of their committment to sign Anthony, and planned to visit him Friday afternoon.

AU Coaches kept their word, and did more than we had expected. Everyone, at AU, was helpful, and polite. But, the final decision will come down to Anthony.

The family has no ill feeling toward Coach Willis, but do not want Coach Willis to contact them, nor do they need to hear Coach Willis's explaination.

When we told the AU Coaches on Thursday morning, of what Coach Willis told our family, and had done to several other recuits. The AU Staff, was shocked and in disbelief, on what Coach Willis was doing. We actually felt bad for AU, as we believe that they are great coaches, but greater individuals.

So if anyone was holding out any hope for Cotton to sign this pretty much settles it. Welcome to Ole Miss.

So if anyone was holding out any hope for Cotton to sign this pretty much settles it. Welcome to Ole Miss.

It looks like Kansas State may have moved up on Cotton's list.

Crazy. I thought he was a silent commit last week. Now he's looking at other schools?

Well, it says for certain that he has no interest in Auburn but I guess we knew that when we offered Moseley.

Crazy. I thought he was a silent commit last week. Now he's looking at other schools?

Well, it says for certain that he has no interest in Auburn but I guess we knew that when we offered Moseley.

maybe something to do with rollison?

We should assume, correctly, that if he did this to one, he was doing it to every kid he was supposed to be recruiting. What an ass.

... If so, couldn't someone pick up the phone and tell him without him having to wait for a personal visit on Friday?

That's what happened eventually. The family became suspicious and placed a call to the AU staff. Again, we don't know exactly but it's clear from this post (if true) that willis wasn't being completely truthful & honest about AG's offer/status with AU. Read between the lines and you get the implication that he was led to believe AU did not have an offer for him -- which the current coachig staff has corrected with a confirmed offer. Like I said earlier ... I'm just sorry we couldn't hear AG's momma talk about it(!) Also, they imply that Willis was sabotaging other recruits that were interested in AU. How many & who exactly? Don't know & don't think the full story will ever get out unless someone talks & starts naming names. Regardless, I am really glad the douchenozzle is now working for $abun. They deserve one another. Karma is a byotch and willis will just have to find this out for himself.

More from Gulley's cousin today:

I talked to my Aunt and Uncle, about letting this information out, and they want it out. As a matter of fact, what I posted here, I sent emails too the talk radio stations, newspaper, and TV Media.

I am timid, in explaining exactly how my family explained it, and how they feel about the whole situation, and how they feel about Coach Willis.

I do not know exactly what he told other recuits, but Anthony said he said something simliar to another recuit who is a LB somewhere that Anthony knew and was probaly going to AU. Maybe the kid is, I honestly dont know, and Anthony wasnt for sure either.

What I do know is, Coach Willis, COMPLETELY MISINFORMED, ANTHONY AND HIS PARENTS, of Auburn's offer. Anthony does have to take his ACT again, he is only two points shy of passing, and will graduate with a 3.0 GPA. This WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM.

My family feels without a doubt, that Coach Willis, wanted to cause a division between them, and the coaching staff at Auburn, and what Coach Willis relayed, caused hard feeling between them and AU.

Coach Willis relayed this information to the Brantley Head Coach, and he immediately got in contact with Anthony and his parents. All this happened on Tuesday, and then Wednesday, Coach Willis is gone to UA.

And understand this, my Aunt and Uncle, dont check the latest websites and message boards, and neither does Anthony. My uncle owns a logging company and my aunt works at Brantley High School. But, dont think your gonna play them for fools, cause they are not.

And thats how my Uncle feels they were being played on Wednesday. Thats where me and my Dad come in. I was walking to class on Wednesday at AUM when my Uncle called and said they needed some help in finding out what is really going on.

BTW, I am not a 18 yr old kid, I am 37 married with 2 kids, I know, I waited along time to go back to college. (LOL)

My uncle wanted to know two things. One, if what Coach Willis said was true, and 2nd, if it was, why would they (AU Staff) waste their time with a official visit. That was all.

IF my Aunt and Uncle didnt contact us, they would have assumed that what Coach Willis said was true, and they wouldnt have anything else to do with AU.

I do know this, from the time we called Coach Perry at Auburn, and Coach Chizik, everyone was just as polite and nice to us, and was trying to get down to the bottom of what was going on.

Even when my Dad told the AU Staff, that someone is lying to my nephew, and I am going to find out who, the AU Staff returned every phone on time, and went out of there way to "get things straight."

We have no idea what got into Coach Willis those last few days before he left AU, nor exactly what he was trying to do to Anthony or any other recuits.

Anthony and his parents are very pleased with the Auburn Coaching Staff and everyone in that department. Coach Perry, Coach Chizik, Coach Malzhan, are ALL class acts.

After we hung up the phone with the AU Staff and settled everything, my Dad said, they didnt say a single negative word about Coach Willis and him leaving AU the way he did. They just wanted to handle issues with integrity.

Look, my Dad is a Florida State Alum, and I was raised a Seminole. After this, helping Anthony with his recuitment process, no matter where he goes, OUR FAMILY, Thats ALL of US, have the upmost respect for AU and the Coach Chizik Staff.

Like me and my Dad discussed at work, there is more to life than football, even though some disagree. You have to teach kids a sense of MORALS, to have CHARACTER, and RESPONSIABITY. Your Word, is Your Word, and if you make a promise, make good on it.

And here's something else you guys dont know. My Aunt and Uncle are white, and Anthony is Afican-American. He's adopted, and you know what, I treat him just like any of my blood cousin's. He's family. To All of Us.

Anthony has been though alot of disappointments in his life and setbacks, and to be lied too, and have his dreams ripped apart by someone he looked up too, just cause that coach is in in-state recuiting wars, is NOT RIGHT.

I wish someone in the media, would go to Brantley and take a look at my Aunt and Uncle, and Anthony. I want them to see what he had to endure to get where he is at now, and I want people too see how my Aunt and Uncle, the most loving god-fearing people you ever met, they do not care, where your from, or what color your skin is.

And add to the fact, that we live in the south, but, in a very small southern community where some PPL, will not change, and make judgements about you without even knowing you.

I cant wait for Wednesday. Cause we will all be proud of Anthony, no matter where he goes.

Posted on 1/25 1:48 PM | IP: Logged

link: http://auburn.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1...884&style=2

I talked to my Aunt and Uncle, about letting this information out, and they want it out. As a matter of fact, what I posted here, I sent emails too the talk radio stations, newspaper, and TV Media.

I am timid, in explaining exactly how my family explained it, and how they feel about the whole situation, and how they feel about Coach Willis.

I do not know exactly what he told other recuits, but Anthony said he said something simliar to another recuit who is a LB somewhere that Anthony knew and was probaly going to AU. Maybe the kid is, I honestly dont know, and Anthony wasnt for sure either.

What I do know is, Coach Willis, COMPLETELY MISINFORMED, ANTHONY AND HIS PARENTS, of Auburn's offer. Anthony does have to take his ACT again, he is only two points shy of passing, and will graduate with a 3.0 GPA. This WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM.

My family feels without a doubt, that Coach Willis, wanted to cause a division between them, and the coaching staff at Auburn, and what Coach Willis relayed, caused hard feeling between them and AU.

Coach Willis relayed this information to the Brantley Head Coach, and he immediately got in contact with Anthony and his parents. All this happened on Tuesday, and then Wednesday, Coach Willis is gone to UA.

And understand this, my Aunt and Uncle, dont check the latest websites and message boards, and neither does Anthony. My uncle owns a logging company and my aunt works at Brantley High School. But, dont think your gonna play them for fools, cause they are not.

And thats how my Uncle feels they were being played on Wednesday. Thats where me and my Dad come in. I was walking to class on Wednesday at AUM when my Uncle called and said they needed some help in finding out what is really going on.

BTW, I am not a 18 yr old kid, I am 37 married with 2 kids, I know, I waited along time to go back to college. (LOL)

My uncle wanted to know two things. One, if what Coach Willis said was true, and 2nd, if it was, why would they (AU Staff) waste their time with a official visit. That was all.

IF my Aunt and Uncle didnt contact us, they would have assumed that what Coach Willis said was true, and they wouldnt have anything else to do with AU.

I do know this, from the time we called Coach Perry at Auburn, and Coach Chizik, everyone was just as polite and nice to us, and was trying to get down to the bottom of what was going on.

Even when my Dad told the AU Staff, that someone is lying to my nephew, and I am going to find out who, the AU Staff returned every phone on time, and went out of there way to "get things straight."

We have no idea what got into Coach Willis those last few days before he left AU, nor exactly what he was trying to do to Anthony or any other recuits.

Anthony and his parents are very pleased with the Auburn Coaching Staff and everyone in that department. Coach Perry, Coach Chizik, Coach Malzhan, are ALL class acts.

After we hung up the phone with the AU Staff and settled everything, my Dad said, they didnt say a single negative word about Coach Willis and him leaving AU the way he did. They just wanted to handle issues with integrity.

Look, my Dad is a Florida State Alum, and I was raised a Seminole. After this, helping Anthony with his recuitment process, no matter where he goes, OUR FAMILY, Thats ALL of US, have the upmost respect for AU and the Coach Chizik Staff.

Like me and my Dad discussed at work, there is more to life than football, even though some disagree. You have to teach kids a sense of MORALS, to have CHARACTER, and RESPONSIABITY. Your Word, is Your Word, and if you make a promise, make good on it.

And here's something else you guys dont know. My Aunt and Uncle are white, and Anthony is Afican-American. He's adopted, and you know what, I treat him just like any of my blood cousin's. He's family. To All of Us.

Anthony has been though alot of disappointments in his life and setbacks, and to be lied too, and have his dreams ripped apart by someone he looked up too, just cause that coach is in in-state recuiting wars, is NOT RIGHT.

I wish someone in the media, would go to Brantley and take a look at my Aunt and Uncle, and Anthony. I want them to see what he had to endure to get where he is at now, and I want people too see how my Aunt and Uncle, the most loving god-fearing people you ever met, they do not care, where your from, or what color your skin is.

And add to the fact, that we live in the south, but, in a very small southern community where some PPL, will not change, and make judgements about you without even knowing you.

I cant wait for Wednesday. Cause we will all be proud of Anthony, no matter where he goes.

If you don't see anything else, please notice he talks about the importance of morals, character and responsibility. Some on this very board have poo-poohed those when I mentioned them and said they weren't big deals in today's business world of football. I truly hope this young man comes to Auburn.

I also hope Willis and the bammers get what they deserve out of all this.

Pretty moving stuff there. I'd really love to hear all of AG's story sometime. Sounds like a heck of a young man.

This could all even be true. Or not.

I really would like to know the truth. Something about this doesn't feel quite right, but it might be based on facts.

I'm sure the Bammerham News will get to the bottom of this and publish their findings, even if it makes uat and/or willis look like scheming douche bags with no morals... NOT. :homer:

noticed none of the bammies have commented on this which leads me to a question. will they ever accept him?

I'm sure the Bammerham News will get to the bottom of this and publish their findings, even if it makes uat and/or willis look like scheming douche bags with no morals... NOT. :homer:

We will only hear this in the Bammerham News if it can be slanted to make Auburn look bad.

Archived