Mark Gottfried out

autigeremt

Mark Gottfried out as Alabama's basketball coach

Posted by Gentry Estes, Mobile Press-Register January 26, 2009 2:11 PM

Categories: Basketball

Mark Gottfried is out as Alabama's basketball coach.

Word comes from sources today after Gottfried met with UA athletics director Mal Moore this afternoon. Gottfried is not expected to coach the Crimson Tide's games for the remainder of the season.

Assistant coach Philip Pearson is likely to take over as interim coach, though that has yet to be confirmed.

I've been waiting for years for this announcement. I'm pretty indifferent to basketball...and he kept me from even watching. Maybe now I can get into it.

That's a damn shame. He was such a good fit at UAT, being a grad and one of their finest. I was hoping he'd hang around over there for another 10 or 15 years.

Funny...I failed to see the articles in the Birmingham News this morning crucifying the Alabama administration for firing a coach of 10 years at mid-season. I must have overlooked them.

Alabama will likely go hire a black head coach (Tubby Smith, Mike Anderson, etc), which will put a dagger into the administration of the Auburn Athletic Department.

We will counter by hiring a black coach if Lebo can't keep the train on the tracks this season. But it will be after the season is over.

Archived