Student Suspended Over SI Swimsuit Issue

Tigermike

Student Suspended After Refusing Punishment Over SI Swimsuit Issue

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

BELPRE, Ohio — A sixth-grader started serving a three-day suspension Tuesday because he refused a lesser punishment for bringing the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue (search) to school, the schools superintendent said.

Justin Reyes had the magazine in the gymnasium at Belpre Middle School (search) before classes Feb. 18, and Principal Kathy Garrison cited him for violating school's policy on nonverbal harassment and possession of lewd or suggestive material, Superintendent Tim Swarr said.

Garrison ordered the 12-year-old boy to spend two days at an alternative school where students from several area districts are sent when they get into trouble.

But Swarr said Justin and his mother, Nicole Reyes, refused to accept the alternative school punishment, so the penalty was increased to three days of out-of-school suspension.

"Last time I checked, we were in charge of running the schools," Swarr said.

Nicole Reyes said the alternative school was too harsh a punishment.

"It's not like it was Hustler, Playboy or Penthouse," she said. "The punishment doesn't fit the crime."

Swarr said he had never seen SI's swimsuit edition before.

"I was shocked," he said. "It doesn't belong in public schools."

Belpre Middle School, about 90 miles southeast of Columbus, serves some 550 students in grades four through eight.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,112350,00.html

Agree. Its slightly inappropriate, but come on-- a 3 day suspension!!! It seems in some schools they don't give you that for bringing in crack, but god forbid they see a woman in a bathing suit!! :roll:

Guest AuNuma1

My wife's a 6th grade math teacher and I've heard way worse crap than that with kids not getting any ISS...3 days OSS is rediculous for an SI swimsuit issue.

One of my students (11th grader) brought a Maxim with him to class...for those of you who may not be familiar with Maxim, it's kind of a "Playboy Lite"...no actual nudity, but right on the edge of the envelope. Anyway, I confiscated the magazine and that was it.

I'm sure there's more to the situation than we're aware of, but the punishment does seem excessive given the, ahem, crime. If the kid was causing a disruption of class by having it, then give him detention or something.

If carrying a SI swimsuit issue is a suspendable crime, I would've been a "trouble child." A buddy of mine would bring his every year. Its part of growing up. Geez. I agree it shouldn't be at school, but COME ON!!! You take it from him. Say, "You'll get this back at the end of the day." When he comes to get it, say, "Dont bring it again." If he does, THEN punish the child. What is WRONG with people!!!!

Yeah, Rainman, I think that's what I told the kid who brought the Maxim...alas, he forgot about it.

This isn't your father's swimsuit issue, though!!! I haven't seen it, but from what I've heard, this is a very tame shot. It's said to get even more revealing inside tha magazine!

2004.jpg

Guest AuNuma1

Nah, the SI issue is overrated...any Victoria Secret catalog is better than the SI issue. I would know, my wife gets a VS catalog every other day. :rolleyes:

Archived