women's bball lands state's all time leading scorer

kickinwang

State's all-time scorer picks Auburn women hoops

Posted by Charles Goldberg -- Birmingham News February 10, 2009 2:30 PM

Categories: Basketball

The streaking Auburn women's basketball team has received more good news.

Birmingham News

Woodland High School's Courtney Strain, the all-time leading scorer in Alabama girls' prep basketball history, has committed to play for the Tigers. Thing is, she's just a high school junior, so she has plenty of time to pad her stats before joining Auburn for the 2010-11 season.

Strain is averaging 35 points per game this season, and established the state's scoring mark when she rang up her 4,176th point on Jan. 27. The 5-foot-9 player has started the last five years.

Strain said she was happy to choose Auburn with a year to go.

"I don't have to worry about the recruiting anymore,'' Strain said. ``Now, I don't have to worry about going out and trying to impress anyone, or worry about messing up, or anything like that. I can just go out there and play.''

It was another in-state recruiting win for Auburn coach Nell Fortner. All five of her starters on this year's 23-1 team are from Alabama.

Strain's father, and coach, Larry Strain said his daughter committed early because the recruiting process ``has already been real crazy for us.''

Strain has started since the seventh grade. She didn't waste time catching the eyes of colleges, her father said. ``The recruiting process started early, so it's not really new for us.''

She's made the AAU circuit and has participated at elite camps at the top SEC school. Woodland plays in the area finals against Vincent on Thursday.

link

from her sophmore year;

she also led the nation with 40.6 ppg

1261 points as a sophmore

attempted 869 fg's as a sophmore

made 447 of them

made 25 fgs in a game

shot 407 ft's in a a season.

all alabama records.

she also scored 50+ four times with a high of 57. and averaged 13.3 rebounds, 3.3 assists, and 2.3 steals per game

oh, and she's a cheerleader for the football and boys bball teams.

damn

woodland put out in the region semifinal by section, 72-69. strain missed two three's in the final 15 seconds, but she did lead the team with 30 points and 9 rebounds, and her younger sister had 24 points.

I have seen C. Strain play several times and she is the real deal. The only problem is that she does not have the players around her to win a state title. I wish her all the luck in her senior season. It will be awesome when I have my season tickets to see her running out into the new arena an Auburn Tiger!!! She has alot of class and is even a cheerleading in HS!!!

My dad and Courtney's dad used to be pretty good friends before my dad joined the marines. Apparently, her parents liked my name so much (Courtney Rebecca), they decided to name her the same thing! I know this sounds like a joke...but I'm serious!

My dad and Courtney's dad used to be pretty good friends before my dad joined the marines. Apparently, her parents liked my name so much (Courtney Rebecca), they decided to name her the same thing! I know this sounds like a joke...but I'm serious!

Thanks Courtney Rebecca, that is a neat little bit of personal info we don't get from the newspapers. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Archived