If we beat LSU I say we are in

RunInRed

It's clear the NCAA doesn't put the best 64 teams in the tourney. They put the teams in that will give them the best tourney. They don't have a choice about the small conference champions, but it's been the matter that teams who win going into the tourney are more likely to get selected. Many teams that were not great got in because they had won 8 or 9 of their last 10. Early losses to bad teams are acceptable if you are hot and show worthy at the end of the year.

And I know for a fact that Auburn doesn't have to beat LSU to get in. ;)

We see it alot the same, but sorry to say, we don't really see the same outcome. I feel for sure that Auburn has an NIT bid. BUT, in my estimation, the only chance we have of going to the NCAA tournament is if we win the SEC tournament outright. Not because we aren't good enough to go to the NCAA, we are, but I don't think there is any way in hades that they are going to issue an invite to Auburn, since we aren't one of the usual faces there. And there are too many of those that aren't in yet. For example, Kentucky is still a question mark, from many articles I've read, and you know that somehow, they are going.From what I read from one commentator, and I don't remember who, so I can't leave a link, he said Kentucky will go because of the amount of fans they will bring, much like the bowls and certain teams. Make no mistake, I think Auburn should be in the NCAA. I love Auburn.

Well, I don't think I ever said Auburn is going... just that there's a case for it. I'd like to go and be one of those feel good stories about a team that struggled and is on fire, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Wait a minute, LSU, UK, and UF all lost tonight. Things are changing. UK and UF play this weekend, the loser is out and the winner ain't lookin' too good. Wow, UK losing to Georgia the last week of the season? I think it might be time to put their NCAA tourney dreams to rest. What a crazy Wednesday in the SEC. It's not unbelievable to see UT, USC, LSU, and Auburn representing the league now.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's clear the NCAA doesn't put the best 64 teams in the tourney. They put the teams in that will give them the best tourney. They don't have a choice about the small conference champions, but it's been the matter that teams who win going into the tourney are more likely to get selected. Many teams that were not great got in because they had won 8 or 9 of their last 10. Early losses to bad teams are acceptable if you are hot and show worthy at the end of the year.

And I know for a fact that Auburn doesn't have to beat LSU to get in. ;)

We see it alot the same, but sorry to say, we don't really see the same outcome. I feel for sure that Auburn has an NIT bid. BUT, in my estimation, the only chance we have of going to the NCAA tournament is if we win the SEC tournament outright. Not because we aren't good enough to go to the NCAA, we are, but I don't think there is any way in hades that they are going to issue an invite to Auburn, since we aren't one of the usual faces there. And there are too many of those that aren't in yet. For example, Kentucky is still a question mark, from many articles I've read, and you know that somehow, they are going.From what I read from one commentator, and I don't remember who, so I can't leave a link, he said Kentucky will go because of the amount of fans they will bring, much like the bowls and certain teams. Make no mistake, I think Auburn should be in the NCAA. I love Auburn.

Well, I don't think I ever said Auburn is going... just that there's a case for it. I'd like to go and be one of those feel good stories about a team that struggled and is on fire, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Wait a minute, LSU, UK, and UF all lost tonight. Things are changing. UK and UF play this weekend, the loser is out and the winner ain't lookin' too good. Wow, UK losing to Georgia the last week of the season? I think it might be time to put their NCAA tourney dreams to rest. What a crazy Wednesday in the SEC. It's not unbelievable to see UT, USC, LSU, and Auburn representing the league now.

UK may have just sealed their doom. The announcers last night even said as much. AU sits with the 4th best overal record in the SEC, and will be at least the 3rd best SEC conference record with a win over LSU.

The UK loss helps us the most. UF had been amazingly off the bubble for the past week. Our showing in the SEC tourney is crucial. We gotta win that 2nd round game for sure!! I wish I could be in Auburn for that game on Saturday, but I will be working (security) here at Lipscomb University, suffering :rolleyes: thru watching the Atlantic Sun Men's and Women's conference tourney. If Jacksonville wins the tourney keep an eye on them in the NCAA tourney, they played a tough non-conference schedule and are tall, slim, and very athletic. They lost by single digits to FSU, Georgetown, GT, Baylor, and by 13 to Ohio St. I don't know that they could knock off a #1 seed, but they will give them a run for their money like Belmont has the past couple of years. The LU Bisons are HOT having won 8 straight, 10 of last 12, including wins over the to 3 in the conference. We are looking forward to the tourney since we host it here in Nashville.

The latest RPI is out and Auburn is still #72. That early season loss to Mercer and their #180 RPI and 16-14 record was brutal. I don't know how RPI is measured, but that loss probably is costing Auburn a few spots.

The latest RPI is out and Auburn is still #72. That early season loss to Mercer and their #180 RPI and 16-14 record was brutal. I don't know how RPI is measured, but that loss probably is costing Auburn a few spots.

I recall going nuts when we lost to Mercer and people on this board trying to tell me it wasn't a bad loss because they were near undefeated at the time. Idiots... like it took the rest of the season to figure out Mercer was a bad loss. MERCER!! Why doesn't our football team just go out and lose to Arkansas State while we are at it. If they 3-0 at the time, maybe someone will state that it's ok because they are 3-0 and might win their conference.

Mercer... them and Northern Iowa - horrible losses. I don't care if NI is going to win their conference or not. If some people are using that as an argument, I don't know if we deserve an NIT bid then. And had we beaten Dayton or Xavier, we could have their at-large birth as well.

So many ifs this year. I've said 18 times - we chose the wrong year to lose some crappy games.

I recall going nuts when we lost to Mercer and people on this board trying to tell me it wasn't a bad loss because they were near undefeated at the time. Idiots... like it took the rest of the season to figure out Mercer was a bad loss. MERCER!! Why doesn't our football team just go out and lose to Arkansas State while we are at it. If they 3-0 at the time, maybe someone will state that it's ok because they are 3-0 and might win their conference.

Mercer... them and Northern Iowa - horrible losses. I don't care if NI is going to win their conference or not. If some people are using that as an argument, I don't know if we deserve an NIT bid then. And had we beaten Dayton or Xavier, we could have their at-large birth as well.

So many ifs this year. I've said 18 times - we chose the wrong year to lose some crappy games.

I agree with you PChamp... Give Lebo credit for rallying the troops...but those losses are going to

bite a hot AU team. AU will have to win the tourney to get in. period.

OK, so I believe we have to win the tournament to get in. But the way we're playing right now, winning it may not be that hard...

Just saying...

I will say that the SEC Tournament appears to be as wide open as it's ever been this year...there are 8-10 teams that could win it and I wouldn't consider it a surprise and we're certainly in that group. If we can beat LSU on Saturday, we might be a popular "darkhorse" pick to do some damage in Tampa.

I think the Florida-Kentucky loser is certainly NIT-bound unless that loser happens to win the SECT...it is hard to believe that UK was once 5-0 in league play...they have completely crapped the bed in the last month.

PChamp's delivery isn't exactly smooth, but his point is valid...those non-conference losses in November are a huge anchor on our RPI. If we could flip Mercer and even one of UNI/Dayton/Xavier into the win column, we'd be sitting in a LOT better position...but, no sense bitching about it now because it's water under the bridge. I just want our guys to keep playing good ball...they're peaking at the right time.

Beat LSU and win a game in the SECT we are in or it's a total SCREW JOB!!!! I am dead serious. If we beat LSU we do NOT have to win the SECT to get in. You can quote me on that.

Hot teams from major conferences do not get left out. These morons like Jerry Palm and Joe Lunardi were wrong about us in 2003 and they can be wrong again. They don't make the selections.

Archived