If we beat LSU I say we are in

RunInRed

I doubt Auburn will reach the NCAA, but a win at home against LSU on Saturday and reaching the Tourney Final in Tampa will put them in the conversation. RPI will still be low, but they would be one of the hottest teams in the country over their last 12 which is one of the factors the committee discusses. With Mike Slive as the committee chair you can count on at least 4 (and probably only 4) SEC teams. LSU, Tennessee, and South Carolina will be 3 of those. Florida and Kentucky results will be important for Auburn.

An RPI of 78 (http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html) hurts badly. Of course, a win against LSU Saturday would move it up some. So, to state the obvious, the LSU game is what Auburn needs to concern themselves with right now.

By the way, it was nice to see Toomer's rolled last night when I got back from Tuscaloosa.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt Auburn will reach the NCAA, but a win at home against LSU on Saturday and reaching the Tourney Final in Tampa will put them in the conversation. RPI will still be low, but they would be one of the hottest teams in the country over their last 12 which is one of the factors the committee discusses. With Mike Slive as the committee chair you can count on at least 4 (and probably only 4) SEC teams. LSU, Tennessee, and South Carolina will be 3 of those. Florida and Kentucky results will be important for Auburn.

An RPI of 78 (http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html) hurts badly. Of course, a win against LSU Saturday would move it up some. So, to state the obvious, the LSU game is what Auburn needs to concern themselves with right now.

By the way, it was nice to see Toomer's rolled last night when I got back from Tuscaloosa.

That RPI isnt updated from the bama win. It wont help a bunch, but it will help some. Also, many teams above us lost. We could be in the top 65 by tip-off vs. LSU.

That RPI isnt updated from the bama win. It wont help a bunch, but it will help some. Also, many teams above us lost. We could be in the top 65 by tip-off vs. LSU.

Maybe. And if that is the case a win over LSU should put Auburn universally on the Bubble Watch.

Regardless, they have to beat LSU. So, everybody that can get here come to Beard Eaves Saturday at 3:00.

PC, you're WAY (W-A-Y) off on some stuff.

Number 1. Our RPI number. We are currently 63rd. If we beat LSU (this game is a must-win for any tourney talk unless we win the SEC tournament), we'll jump into the 50s. That is good enough to be considered a legit bubble team. If we won a game or two in the SEC touney, we'd probably crack the top 50 (depending on opponents). So our RPI number is not working against us.

Number 2. SOS. It's not a strength on our resume, but it's also not a be-all, end-all killer. Our schedule (not including the LSU game) comes in at 114. Compare that to Florida (a team we're competing with): 125th. So if our SOS bars us, I guess the Gators have no chance either.

And the idea that a tourney run does no good. That's just wrong. If we were to beat LSU and make the Finals (and lose), we'd be 10-2 in our last 12 with wins over Tennessee, MSU (x2), LSU, and (assuming higher seeds won) UF and USC. At that point, we'd be 4-4 against the RPI top 50, 2-2 in neutral site games, and we'd be one of the hottest teams in America. I'm not saying that makes us a lock. I'm just saying that it's crazy to say we have no chance short of a Title run. Do that stuff and our resume is better than UF's and probably better than UK's. So they'd have to take only 3 SEC teams to avoid us.

Also, tgr4lfe, is that right? I thought the tourney break down matched up the West 2 (Auburn) against the winner of the East 3/West 6 (Florida/Arkansas as it stands now). If we won we'd get the East 1 (South Carolina) who plays the winner of West 4/East 5 (Ole Miss/Vandy at present).

Basically, I thought the tourney was structured (assuming higher seeds win) to match (in the second round) West1/East4, East2/West3, East1/West4, West2/East3.

From http://secsports.com/index.php?s=&change_well_id=99771:

First Round - Thursday, March 12

Game Teams Time (ET)/TV Audio Stats

G1 Eastern #4 vs. Western #5 1:00 p.m. / Raycom SEC Audio TBA

G2 Western #3 vs. Eastern #6 3:15 p.m. / Raycom SEC Audio TBA

G3 Western #4 vs. Eastern #5 7:30 p.m. / Raycom SEC Audio TBA

G4 Eastern #3 vs. Western #6 9:45 p.m. / Raycom SEC Audio TBA

Second Round - Friday, March 13

G5 G1 Winner vs. Western #1 1:00 p.m. / Raycom SEC Audio TBA

G6 G2 Winner vs. Eastern #2 3:15 p.m. / Raycom SEC Audio TBA

G7 G3 Winner vs. Eastern #1 7:30 p.m. / Raycom SEC Audio TBA

G8 G4 Winner vs. Western #2 9:45 p.m. / Raycom SEC Audio TBA

Day Three - Saturday, March 14

G9 G5 Winner vs. G6 Winner 1:00 p.m. / Raycom SEC Audio TBA

G10 G7 Winner vs. G8 Winner 3:15 p.m. / Raycom SEC Audio TBA

Finals - Sunday, March 15

G11 G9 Winner vs. G10 Winner 1:00 p.m. / CBS SEC Audio TBA

LSU is Western #1, Auburn is Western #2, and Arkansas is Western #6. In the East I know Georgia is #6.

First off, I agree - all this talk is nonsense unless Auburn beats LSU.

Other than that - What you have to remember though is that the NCAA committee, I think (don't hold me to this), tries to get the brackets together as much as possible going into the conference tourny's. I don't like any team that needs to "prove itself in its conference tournament" to get into the tournament. At that point, it pretty much is too late. I would just think the committee would think "well, they just started to get our attention going into conference tourny play - let's worry about them if they actually win their tournament. These other teams have been here all season long."

I agree Auburn has had a strong finish thus far. And that does mean something when selecting teams. But I've seen many teams in the past that finish strong and then the chairmen is interviewed for that team not making it and their response is "well we felt other teams had proven more throughout the entire season."

And comparing us to UF and UK and UT. We beat one of those teams (UT). We lost to UK and UF and I doubt we can beat either of them in Tampa. Those three teams are more popular. Those three teams have better RPIs. UF may have a worse schedule and there is no guarantee they are getting in. But UF is MUCH sexier than AU.

Yeah, so right now, we'd play the winner of UF/Ark. LSU would play the winner of UK/Bama. South Carolina would play the Ole Miss/Vandy winner. UT would play the MSU/UGA winner.

We will have to beat either UK or UF (assuming neither team loses in the first round) to get to the UT/USC winner (East 1). We'll have to go through one of those two teams. And only UK has a "much better" RPI than us.

Like you said, this is all assuming we beat LSU, we would be around 58 at the lowest. At present, USC is 52, UT is 43 (one of those two is going to drop), and UF is 45. That's not a world ahead, and the gap would be nonexistent if we beat UF in the tourney.

I said it before, beating LSU and making noise in the SEC tournament doesn't guarantee us a spot, but we would definitely be in the conversation as one of the last 5 or 6 teams in consideration.

Also, the committee released its top 3 criteria this year, and one of the three was record in the last 12 games (why 12? I have no idea). RPI was not on the list. I'd also add that Mike Slive is the committee chair this year. In related news, I wouldn't be shocked if the SEC got 5 teams in.

Also, the committee released its top 3 criteria this year, and one of the three was record in the last 12 games (why 12? I have no idea). RPI was not on the list. I'd also add that Mike Slive is the committee chair this year. In related news, I wouldn't be shocked if the SEC got 5 teams in.

That's interesting. I did not know that.

What were the other 2?

It's clear the NCAA doesn't put the best 64 teams in the tourney. They put the teams in that will give them the best tourney. They don't have a choice about the small conference champions, but it's been the matter that teams who win going into the tourney are more likely to get selected. Many teams that were not great got in because they had won 8 or 9 of their last 10. Early losses to bad teams are acceptable if you are hot and show worthy at the end of the year.

And I know for a fact that Auburn doesn't have to beat LSU to get in. ;)

Tim Brando pointed out that no SEC team has been left out of the NCAA Tourney (since expansion to 64 teams obviously) that went 10-6 or better in SEC play. This was during the segment that featured Coach Lebo as his guest. We all know that Auburn is 9-6 with LSU at home Saturday at 3:00.

Tim Brando pointed out that no SEC team has been left out of the NCAA Tourney (since expansion to 64 teams obviously) that went 10-6 or better in SEC play. This was during the segment that featured Coach Lebo as his guest. We all know that Auburn is 9-6 with LSU at home Saturday at 3:00.

But, the SEC hasn't been THIS BAD in a while. Let's face it. LSU is the only "good" team in the SEC this year. Maybe South Carolina.

No SEC team went undefeated without a shot at the National Championship in football either... until Auburn did it in '04. If we beat LSU (that's a big 'if'), we'll take that statistic as well.

AURainman and I think alike - the SEC is just BAD. Again, we chose the wrong year to lose some games we shouldn't have.

Ithink a win against lsu and atleast 2 wins in the sec tourney gives us a decent shot at getting in.

Winner, winner, Corn Dog dinner!

It's clear the NCAA doesn't put the best 64 teams in the tourney. They put the teams in that will give them the best tourney. They don't have a choice about the small conference champions, but it's been the matter that teams who win going into the tourney are more likely to get selected. Many teams that were not great got in because they had won 8 or 9 of their last 10. Early losses to bad teams are acceptable if you are hot and show worthy at the end of the year.

And I know for a fact that Auburn doesn't have to beat LSU to get in. ;)

We see it alot the same, but sorry to say, we don't really see the same outcome. I feel for sure that Auburn has an NIT bid. BUT, in my estimation, the only chance we have of going to the NCAA tournament is if we win the SEC tournament outright. Not because we aren't good enough to go to the NCAA, we are, but I don't think there is any way in hades that they are going to issue an invite to Auburn, since we aren't one of the usual faces there. And there are too many of those that aren't in yet. For example, Kentucky is still a question mark, from many articles I've read, and you know that somehow, they are going.From what I read from one commentator, and I don't remember who, so I can't leave a link, he said Kentucky will go because of the amount of fans they will bring, much like the bowls and certain teams. Make no mistake, I think Auburn should be in the NCAA. I love Auburn.

maybe we should just win the freakin tournament.

That would definetly work. As of right now I feel like a few of the other posters. Auburn has to first make a splash by beating the best team in the SEC. Then, when they have some people's attention they need to make a 2 win to championship run in the SEC Tournament. The bye will help, although, losing your last game before the SEC Tourn. would not do much for confidence going in. Especially if it's a heartbreaker, last second type of loss.

But, the SEC hasn't been THIS BAD in a while. Let's face it. LSU is the only "good" team in the SEC this year. Maybe South Carolina.

I wouldn't count out Tenn just yet.

I know they have been incredibly average this year but if they can get hot from 3-point land, they could make a Sweet 16, Elite 8 run, imo

But if they don't get hot from deep, they will be out in the 1st round

I know they have been incredibly average this year but if they can get hot from 3-point land, they could make a Sweet 16, Elite 8 run, imo

Could you not make the same argument for Auburn? The odds of it happening are slim, but it is a possibility under those 'what-ifs'.

Could you not make the same argument for Auburn? The odds of it happening are slim, but it is a possibility under those 'what-ifs'.

Maybe AU could, I dunno, truth be told, I haven't watched AU that much

But with UT, they have some returning starters who went pretty deep last year in the NCAA Tournament so they have experience

Archived