Craig Sanders to Bama

BamaGrad03

He gave it a fance name? Why, because you've never heard of it?

Exactly. Don't steal my joy.
Jack position has been around since the 80s in the 46 defenses.

Well, you stole it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/46_defense

Learn something new every day. Is this a wise move, though?

Currently, the "46" is rarely used in modern professional and college football because of the emergence of the West Coast Offense, popularized by San Francisco 49ers head coach Bill Walsh, and other offensive schemes that rely on short, timed passes from formations that use multiple receivers (though it should not be forgotten that the Chicago Bears won the NFC Championship for 1985 with their famed "46" right in the middle of Walsh's tenure with the 49ers). A major weakness of the "46" is that too many defensive players line up near the line of scrimmage to blitz, leaving areas wide open for receivers to catch passes. Also, the short, timed passes are thrown before the players blitzing have a chance to reach the quarterback. Another problem is that most teams do not have enough impact players to run the "46" as effectively as the 1980s Bears did.
This seems to be a defense a spread oriented team would like to go up against. Even a fast team seems like it could exploit this formation. If you get the free safety to bite to the strong side, there's a good chance a receiver with decent speed or even a quick toss to a burner out of the backfield will take it go to the house.

Matthews did say he was an AU lean.

That's an incorrect statement.

If any one caused any confusion it was Sanders himself, as noted by the quotes TerryP provided above.

Yeah, yeah he said it. In the forums. And before anyone asks...no, I do not pay a subscription to read AU forums.

If so, I never saw it. Just doesn't sound like something he would say either in this situation. But I could be wrong.

Archived