Craig Sanders to Bama

BamaGrad03

Can some one fill in the blanks on this one for me...IIRC, he had a very recent visit to Auburn where claimed them to be at the top because a certain other school was not showing much interest and acting like they wanted him. So, did saban just put on the full court press, bammer lean from the get go, just playing with the fan bases, or what?

I didn't realize Bama had 12 commitments thus far. That is a good pickup for the bad guys. Our staff still has a lot of work to do.

- Didn't really want him -

- Not a commitable offer -

- Life long Bammer fan -

You forgot "Bama cheated."

- Job for a family member -

Can some one fill in the blanks on this one for me...IIRC, he had a very recent visit to Auburn where claimed them to be at the top because a certain other school was not showing much interest and acting like they wanted him. So, did saban just put on the full court press, bammer lean from the get go, just playing with the fan bases, or what?

I don't think he ever named Auburn as a leader, best that I can recall. He named Alabama, Auburn, and Florida as his top three though. He said in previous interviews that when he was like 5 years old his mother remarried and his step-father was a huge UF fan. Sanders didn't really watch much football growing up, but as he got closer to playing age, he watched the SEC alot mainly Alabama, Auburn, and Florida. His favorite player is Tim Tebow and he went to a UF game last season wearing a Tebow jersey. I think this kid was just one of those that was fairly neutral and CNS did a good job of showing him how important LBs are in his defense, and how he could fit in.

Its a good pickup, even if (unfortunately) he had chosen to go to AU. Seems like a big physical guy that has a good understanding of multiple positions on the field. We'll see how well playing at the 1A level translates to SEC play, though. If his offer list is any indicator though, I have faith that all of those coaches think he will be OK.

I don't think he ever named Auburn as a leader, best that I can recall. He named Alabama, Auburn, and Florida as his top three though. He said in previous interviews that when he was like 5 years old his mother remarried and his step-father was a huge UF fan. Sanders didn't really watch much football growing up, but as he got closer to playing age, he watched the SEC alot mainly Alabama, Auburn, and Florida. His favorite player is Tim Tebow and he went to a UF game last season wearing a Tebow jersey. I think this kid was just one of those that was fairly neutral and CNS did a good job of showing him how important LBs are in his defense, and how he could fit in.

Its a good pickup, even if (unfortunately) he had chosen to go to AU. Seems like a big physical guy that has a good understanding of multiple positions on the field. We'll see how well playing at the 1A level translates to SEC play, though. If his offer list is any indicator though, I have faith that all of those coaches think he will be OK.

Sounds like a great pickup for the dark side.

He said Auburn was the only other school he called to inform about his decision. According to him, AU was the only other school under serious consideration, and he was very appreciative of how they handled him in the recruiting process.

Sanders is a DE correct? I thought he was, or maybe that's what we were recruiting him for. Not a huge loss, considering our DE depth right now is okay, but would definitely liked to have had him. Congrats on the pickup.

Ryan

Sanders is a DE correct? I thought he was, or maybe that's what we were recruiting him for. Not a huge loss, considering our DE depth right now is okay, but would definitely liked to have had him. Congrats on the pickup.

Ryan

He's more than likely going to fit into our hybrid JACK spot.

Ryan

Is that anything like the elusive jackelope?

Curious. Did Bryan Matthews say he was a Auburn lean?

No.

The confusion for me came in an article right after Tiger Prowl where Sanders was quoted as saying something to the effect of "It seems like Auburn wants me more." He also stated a decision wasn't expected until August. And then a few weaks later, he commits to uat.

Ryan

Is that anything like the elusive jackelope?

No, I think it's when you switch hands

No.

The confusion for me came in an article right after Tiger Prowl where Sanders was quoted as saying something to the effect of "It seems like Auburn wants me more." He also stated a decision wasn't expected until August. And then a few weaks later, he commits to uat.

That's completely different than what I was told a couple of months ago. One of his former coaches has been saying for several months now he'd commit before the summer camps. In all honesty, from what I was told I expected him to commit before spring camp this year.

I realize Craig played the game like a lot of kids do but there really never was a doubt where he was going to end up. Craig said he was going to attend Bama back in either late December or early January.

This was his quote back in January from an article on LSU's Rivals.com site:

"I want to enjoy my senior year and not have to worry about what college I'm going to choose," Sanders said. "You just go ahead and decide on it and enjoy the rest of your senior year."

Which seems to contradict this statement :

"They've just been showing a lot of interest," Sanders said. "It seems like they want me more. You don't want to go to a school that doesn't want you."

He plans to have a decision before the start of his senior season.

"I'm getting closer, at least by August," he said.

Saban is such a genius. First, he eliminated the strong and free safety positions, and now just has to safeties in the backfield. Now, he's invented this hybrid JACK position!!! Let me guess... a former DE either moves from the 3 gap to in between the 2-3 gaps playing both DE and DT, AT THE SAME TIME (!!!), or a DE is going to line up wide and we'll never know if he's rushing or dropping back in coverage. Holy cow. I can't wait to see his next innovation. It could be something crazy... something crazy like putting a 3rd offensive tackle on the field but making him an eligible receiver, too! And instead of calling him a tackle, you can name the position BIGMAN, or hybrid STEVE.

Matthews did say he was an AU lean.

That's an incorrect statement.

If any one caused any confusion it was Sanders himself, as noted by the quotes TerryP provided above.

Saban is such a genius. First, he eliminated the strong and free safety positions, and now just has to safeties in the backfield. Now, he's invented this hybrid JACK position!!! Let me guess... a former DE either moves from the 3 gap to in between the 2-3 gaps playing both DE and DT, AT THE SAME TIME (!!!), or a DE is going to line up wide and we'll never know if he's rushing or dropping back in coverage. Holy cow. I can't wait to see his next innovation. It could be something crazy... something crazy like putting a 3rd offensive tackle on the field but making him an eligible receiver, too! And instead of calling him a tackle, you can name the position BIGMAN, or hybrid STEVE.

Dude, whats your problem? The position is refered to as JACK in our defense, just the same as WILL, SAM, MIKE, etc is on alot of defenses. The JACK position on CNS' defense acts as a DE or LB. Depending on the call he either plays as a DE with his hand down or as an OLB standing up. I never said or even implied it was something that CNS invented or that only his defense utilizes, so calm down a notch or two. Geez......I am sorry to have angered you, oh great football God. :rolleyes:

Dude, whats your problem? The position is refered to as JACK in our defense, just the same as WILL, SAM, MIKE, etc is on alot of defenses. The JACK position on CNS' defense acts as a DE or LB. Depending on the call he either plays as a DE with his hand down or as an OLB standing up. I never said or even implied it was something that CNS invented or that only his defense utilizes, so calm down a notch or two. Geez......I am sorry to have angered you, oh great football God. :rolleyes:

What does JACK refer to? I know WILL (weakside), SAM (strongside), and MIKE (middle), but what does JACK stand for?

Matthews did say he was an AU lean.

That's an incorrect statement.

If any one caused any confusion it was Sanders himself, as noted by the quotes TerryP provided above.

Yeah, yeah he said it. In the forums. And before anyone asks...no, I do not pay a subscription to read AU forums.

Just cracking on Saban's tendencies to take ordinary ideas and give them fancy names in his system, nothing personal.

Just cracking on Saban's tendencies to take ordinary ideas and give them fancy names in his system, nothing personal.

He gave it a fance name? Why, because you've never heard of it?

Jack position has been around since the 80s in the 46 defenses.

Archived