Ride-along at Talladega

AU-Dave

I was able to do a ride-along Saturday at Talladega.

It was in a 600 HP NASCAR stock car (no restrictor plate). (The boys on Sunday are around 800 HP)

We were about 170-175 MPH for a few laps.

NASCAR is my favorite sport with college football a close second. So, you can imagine this was a dream come true ride.

The G's in the turns (33 degree banking) were insane.

After we slowed and turned onto pit road I asked my driver "How do they do this here for 4 hours, inches apart, and faster than we just went?

His response was simply "I have no idea"

This post isn't meant to spark the "is NASCAR a sport or are drivers athletes debate"

It has been discussed on here before. My reason for posting (other than to brag :) is to find any NASCAR fans besides myself on here?

Anyone?

I still consider myself a fan, but the races this year have been pretty boring for the most part. I would love to do the ride along, and really more than that, I'd love to drive the thing for a few laps.

I did the ride along back when it was Richard Petty's driving experience. Awesome experience I wouldn't trade for anything. That was around '99. I was just getting into nascar and enjoyed it.

I then attended the spring Talladega race that year, and have been turned off from Nascar since. Next to breaking both of my arms in a bike accident, it was the worst experience in my life. I'm not bashing the sport or anyone who follows it, but it's not for me.

Archived