I am curious about something

BoJtrueAUman

My idea of an heisman winner is someone who goes out every week and makes plays for the team and without that player, the team would not do as well or win as many games. Mark Ingram is a great back.. his running has set up many field goals as someone else stated. Colt McCoy is a great QB as is Tebow. Take all three players away from their respective teams, and Alabama will still win.. Texas and Florida not so much. I say it is between those two guys because without them.. their teams would not be in the positions they are right now!

My idea of an heisman winner is someone who goes out every week and makes plays for the team and without that player, the team would not do as well or win as many games. Mark Ingram is a great back.. his running has set up many field goals as someone else stated. Colt McCoy is a great QB as is Tebow. Take all three players away from their respective teams, and Alabama will still win.. Texas and Florida not so much. I say it is between those two guys because without them.. their teams would not be in the positions they are right now!

So Mark Ingram is penalized because we have a good defense and backup running backs?

That's fair. Did you see the south carolina game?

So Mark Ingram is penalized because we have a good defense and backup running backs?

In no way would Ingram not winning the Heisman be penalizing him. If you'd said, "Ingram shouldn't be rewarded because we..." then you'd have been spot on. I completely agree with AuMarine.

Look at past Heisman winners - if you were to take them away from their team for that season the team would fail. Take Ingram away from Alabama this season and they're still a damn good football team.

In no way would Ingram not winning the Heisman be penalizing him. If you'd said, "Ingram shouldn't be rewarded because we..." then you'd have been spot on. I completely agree with AuMarine.

Look at past Heisman winners - if you were to take them away from their team for that season the team would fail. Take Ingram away from Alabama this season and they're still a damn good football team.

Exactly.. :thumbsup: AND if Alabama were not undefeated.. Ingram would not be in the heisman discussion anyway!

I think Ingram is about as good as any other player up for the heisman this year. Also, I think if you take Ingram out of the Alabama football equation during this season they would be nowhere near the record they are at. How many times this season have you seen a lack luster Alabama offense go into the first half, then come right back out in the second half with the game plan," Just give the ball to Ingram," as he slashes for almost 8 yards a carry while controlling the clock for almost 2 complete quarters?

Definitely agree that if Ingram gets some talk why not Tate?

Exactly.. :thumbsup: AND if Alabama were not undefeated.. Ingram would not be in the heisman discussion anyway!

Why not? Clemson isn't undefeated and Spiller has lesser stats than Ingram, and everybody here wants to give it to him. ;)

The Heisman is the one thing Auburn has on the Turds that they can't claim and it's always galled them. They're trying to correct that and the media is cooperating. Sickening!

Wrong, Shug2003.

I can't speak for every other Bama fan, I can only speak for myself. Auburn having two players that have won the Heisman is of no revelance at all. I could care less if Auburn had won ten or twenty Heismans. The Heisman trophy is an individual award that is supposed to be given to the "most outstanding player of the year". Over the years it has turned into a popularity contest and usually given to the player whose school has put on the best PR campaign. If it were truly given to the "most outstanding player" each year then a much greater percentage of the winners would be defensive players and interior linemen. Individual awards do not win conference or national championships. Good teams do.

The one thing we can claim is that Bama beat Auburn in both the years of your Heisman trophies. I would much rather have a win over Auburn than a Heisman trophy. What about you? Would you give up your Heisman trophies for wins over Bama?

The Heisman is the one thing Auburn has on the Turds that they can't claim and it's always galled them. They're trying to correct that and the media is cooperating. Sickening!

Wrong, Shug2003.

I can't speak for every other Bama fan, I can only speak for myself. Auburn having two players that have won the Heisman is of no revelance at all. I could care less if Auburn had won ten or twenty Heismans. The Heisman trophy is an individual award that is supposed to be given to the "most outstanding player of the year". Over the years it has turned into a popularity contest and usually given to the player whose school has put on the best PR campaign. If it were truly given to the "most outstanding player" each year then a much greater percentage of the winners would be defensive players and interior linemen. Individual awards do not win conference or national championships. Good teams do.

The one thing we can claim is that Bama beat Auburn in both the years of your Heisman trophies. I would much rather have a win over Auburn than a Heisman trophy. What about you? Would you give up your Heisman trophies for wins over Bama?

Only two AU people (Sullivan & Jackson) can answer your question. Just saying ...

Ingram is a great runner. However, it seems like he's under consideration for the Heisman strictly on stats, in particular his yards per carry stat seems to be that which most people are fixated. Most other years that I've seen, runners were usually ranked by their overall yardage gained. In that regard, Ingram has 5 running backs ahead of him on the national scene: Lank and a couple more right on his heels -- Ben Tate among them. You know, when I think of "most outstanding player" I usually think of someone who is literally most outstanding and not mired in the stats with 9-10 other people. If they have to give the Heisman to someone then I suppose Ingram is a choice much like Eric Crouch & Gino Torretta were. Most outstanding player? Meh. He's got a ways to go before that label can be pinned on him.

Why not? Clemson isn't undefeated and Spiller has lesser stats than Ingram, and everybody here wants to give it to him. ;)

Once again you are wrong. I do not believe Spiller should get it so therefore to say "everybody here" is incorrect. I say it should go to either Tebow or McCoy for the reasons I listed already.

And I just don't understand Tebow for heisman talk. He ranks 91st in passing and averages 3.7 yards per carry in rushing. His passer rating has gone from 172 in 07 & 08 to 156 (which is still good).

I'll say this too about Spiller...he's a freaking class act stand up dude.

I know some folks who are pretty close to him and he's not just a team player outwardly. He's a good dude even when people aren't looking.

You made a couple of interesting statements about Spiller. You say that he is a stand up dude which I believe he is. You obviously know many athletes in several programs or at least know someone who knows them. I find that interesting.. Tell your friends to talk to Spiller and ask him abour Aaron. PM me the response you get.

I am not pumping Spiller for the heisman but he is more of a contender than Ingram simply because without him.. Clemson is not in the position they are in right now. He has played almost the entire year hurt. He is fast as hell and one hell of a player. He is the type of player you can't replace. I am not knocking Ingram. He is really good but not even the best back in college football or arguably the SEC. He breaks more tackles than any other player I have seen this year in the SEC.. but Bama would still be in this position without him.

Tebow may not be putting up the numbers he did last year but look what he lost on offense. Tebow is another player you can't replace. Without him.. Florida is not undefeated and not the best team in the country. With him.. you can't go wrong. He is the most valuable player in college football. JMHO

When looking at possible Heisman trophy winners one of the main things I look for is how they perform in "big" games against stellar competition. It pains me to say this but its hard to deny the Ingram showed up last week against LSU. That being said I think a hard look needs to be given to the Houston qb. I dont even know his name but I have seen some of his stats and the fact that they are still only a one loss team leads me to believe his team might not be so hot w/o him. I also just want to add given a straight up choice between Tate and Ingram, i'm going with Tate all the way. Just watching the two I believe it is pretty clear that Tate is the more talented player, and I think will make a pretty damn good pro rb in the future. I will be very intrested to see just how high he gets drafted.

Heisman Winners

Year Name School Position Class Points Team Record

1935 Jay Berwanger Chicag RB Sr. 84 (4-4)

1936 Larry Kelley Yale END Sr. 219 (7-1)

1937 Clint Frank Yale QB Sr. 524 (6-1-1)

1938 Davey O'Brien TCU QB Sr. 519 (11-0)

1939 Nile Kinnick Iowa RB Sr. 651 (6-1-1)

1940 Tom Harmon Michigan RB Sr. 1,303 (7-1)

1941 Bruce Smith Minnesota RB Sr. 554 (8-0)

1942 Frank Sinkwich Georgia RB Sr. 1,059 (11-1)

1943 Angelo Bertelli Notre Dame QB Sr. 648 (9-1)

1944 Les Horvath Ohio State QB Sr. 412 (9-0)

1945 Doc Blanchard Army FB Jr. 860 (9-0)

1946 Glenn Davis Army RB Sr. 792 (9-0-1)

1947 John Lujack Notre Dame QB Sr. 742 (9-0)

1948 Doak Walker SMU RB Jr. 778 (9-1-1)

1949 Leon Hart Notre Dame E Sr. 995 (10-0)

1950 Vic Janowicz Ohio State RB Jr. 633 (6-3)

1951 Dick Kazmaier Princeton RB Sr. 1,777 (9-0)

1952 Billy Vessels Oklahoma RB Sr. 525 (8-1-1)

1953 John Lattner Notre Dame RB Sr. 1,850 (9-0)

1954 Alan Ameche Wisconsin FB Sr. 1,068 (7-2)

1955 Howard Cassady Ohio State RB Sr. 2,219 (7-2)

1956 Paul Hornung Notre Dame QB Sr. 1,066 (2-8)

1957 John David Crow Texas A&M RB Sr. 1,183 (8-3)

1958 Pete Dawkins Army RB Sr. 1,394 (8-0-1)

1959 Billy Cannon LSU RB Sr. 1,929 (9-2)

1960 Joe Bellino Navy RB Sr. 1,793 (9-2)

1961 Ernie Davis Syracuse RB Sr. 824 (8-3)

1962 Terry Baker Oregon St. QB Sr. 707 (9-2)

1963 Roger Staubach Navy QB Jr. 1,860 (9-2)

1964 John Huarte Notre Dame QB Sr. 1,026 (9-1)

1965 Mike Garrett USC RB Sr. 926 (7-2-1)

1966 Steve Spurrier Florida QB Sr. 1,679 (9-2)

1967 Gary Beban UCLA QB Sr. 1,968 (7-2-1)

1968 O.J. Simpson USC RB Sr. 2,853 (9-1-1)

1969 Steve Owens Oklahoma FB Sr. 1,488 (6-4)

1970 Jim Plunkett Stanford QB Sr. 2,229 (9-3)

1971 Pat Sullivan Auburn QB Sr. 1,597 (9-2)

1972 Johnny Rodgers Nebraska RB Sr. 1,310 (9-2-1)

1973 John Cappelletti Penn State RB Sr. 1,057 (12-0)

1974 Archie Griffin Ohio State RB Jr. 1,920 (10-2)

1975 Archie Griffin Ohio State RB Sr. 1,800 (11-1)

1976 Tony Dorsett Pittsburgh RB Sr. 2,357 (12-0)

1977 Earl Campbell Texas RB Sr. 1,547 (11-1)

1978 Billy Sims Oklahoma RB Jr. 827 (11-1)

1979 Charles White USC RB Sr. 1,695 (11-0-1)

1980 George Rogers South Carolina RB Sr. 1,128 (8-4)

1981 Marcus Allen USC RB Sr. 1,797 (9-3)

1982 Herschel Walker Georgia RB Jr. 1,926 (11-1)

1983 Mike Rozier Nebraska RB Sr. 1,801 (12-1)

1984 Doug Flutie Boston College QB Sr. 2,240 (10-2)

1985 Bo Jackson Auburn RB Sr. 1,509 (8-4)

1986 Vinny Testaverde Miami (Fla) QB Sr. 2,213 (11-1)

1987 Tim Brown Notre Dame WR Sr. 1,442 (8-4)

1988 Barry Sanders Oklahoma State RB Jr. 1,878 (10-2)

1989 Andre Ware Houston QB Jr. 1,073 (9-2)

1990 Ty Detmer Brigham Young QB Jr. 1,482 (10-3)

1991 Desmond Howard Michigan WR Jr. 2,077 (10-2)

1992 Gino Torretta Miami (Fla) QB Sr. 1,400 (11-1)

1993 Charlie Ward Florida State QB Sr. 2,310 (12-1)

1994 Rashaan Salaam Colorado RB Jr. 1,743 (11-1)

1995 Eddie George Ohio State RB Sr. 1,460 (11-2)

1996 Danny Wuerffel Florida QB Sr. 1,363 (12-1)

1997 Charles Woodson Michigan CB Jr. 1,815 (12-0)

1998 Ricky Williams Texas RB Sr. 2,355 (9-3)

1999 Ron Dayne Wisconsin RB Sr. 2,042 (10-2)

2000 Chris Weinke Florida State QB Sr. 1,628 (11-2)

2001 Eric Crouch Nebraska QB Sr. 770 (11-2)

2002 Carson Palmer USC QB Sr. 1,328 (11-2)

2003 Jason White Oklahoma QB Jr. 1,481 (12-2)

2004 Matt Leinart USC QB Jr. 1,325 (13-0)

2005 Reggie Bush USC RB Jr. 2,541 (12-1)

2006 Troy Smith Ohio State QB Sr. 2,540 (12-1)

2007 Tim Tebow Florida QB Sop 1,957 (9-4)

2008 Sam Bradford Oklahoma QB Sop 1,726 (12-2)

Archived