Auburn's Next Coach

Mikey98

I think I speak for the majority when I say it is time to move on from the Lebo era. I think the question is quickly becoming not if, but when he gets the boot this season. I hope he makes it through the year, as there truly is no benefit in firing mid-season to throw an Assistant Coach in charge.

New arena and fantastic new facilities should help sell the program to an acceptable coach who can energize the program and establish some recruiting.

My question for the board is who could we go after? Mark Few (Gonzaga) and Brad Stevens (Butler) would be on my wish list and should be realistic in terms of offering more money than they currently make at their respective programs.

Few has been offered more money other places and has stayed at Gonzaga. I don't think he's leaving, although I'd be happy with him as our next coach. Scott Drew (Baylor) would be a good choice and I've heard his name thrown around a few times on this board.

Billy Gillespie, turned Texas A&M around and is available. It would never happen, but you could even dump Lebo now and bring Gillespie in since he is currently out of work. With $90 plus million invested in a new arena its time we go out and get a guy who has proven he can win at a BCS conference level and not go cheap with a mid-major lackluster hire i.e. the Lebo hire.

This program will continue to stay where it is unless Auburn will open up the pocketbook and spend the money on a proven winner.

Gillespie's drinking issues and nights with the ladies wouldn't fly for our Administration. I was trying to think of a good NBA coach, not currently employed and it dawned on me...

Charles Barkley :roflol: with all of his concern regarding a "diverse" hire for Auburn, he could be the solution (no matter he has no coaching experience).

Wonder if Avery Johnson would listen...

Few has been offered more money other places and has stayed at Gonzaga. I don't think he's leaving, although I'd be happy with him as our next coach. Scott Drew (Baylor) would be a good choice and I've heard his name thrown around a few times on this board.

I think its unrealistic to get someone from a better basketball program where they don't have to compete with football. We can see 70K for a cupcake and 87K for big games and can barely put 1K in the stands for basketball. More people show up for Auburn HS football than Auburn University basketball. Its just a matter of priority. My preference would be for Lebo to get a chance to recruit with the new arena. I'm more disappointed with Auburn's lack of baseball success considering the facilities rather than lack of basketball success. When was the last time we even made the SEC tourney in baseball. That was a top program for us and we've been floundering at the bottom for a long while.

I think its unrealistic to get someone from a better basketball program where they don't have to compete with football. We can see 70K for a cupcake and 87K for big games and can barely put 1K in the stands for basketball. More people show up for Auburn HS football than Auburn University basketball. Its just a matter of priority. My preference would be for Lebo to get a chance to recruit with the new arena. I'm more disappointed with Auburn's lack of baseball success considering the facilities rather than lack of basketball success. When was the last time we even made the SEC tourney in baseball. That was a top program for us and we've been floundering at the bottom for a long while.

When Chris Porter played there were a lot of sold out games. We also had bigger crowds for Barkley and company. Folks want a winner.

I agree with much of this post. Sorry AU fans have to take some ownership in the current state of the basketball program. Players do not want to play in empty arenas. Fans are not the only reason AU stinks but they are certainly part of the equation.

Secondly as for a new coach I would say either Scott Drew, like the previous poster, or Lorenzo Romar who has done an oustanding job at building a program at Washington.

Not sure why everyone keep lauding Billy Gillespie on here. He has the personality of Nick Saban with the personal issues of Larry Eustacy and you want him running your hasketball program? I think not. I will take Lebo over him.

Pawlowski has us on the right track. Renfroe was a Barfield situation, and Slater was a bad hire.

I agree with much of this post. Sorry AU fans have to take some ownership in the current state of the basketball program. Players do not want to play in empty arenas. Fans are not the only reason AU stinks but they are certainly part of the equation.

Secondly as for a new coach I would say either Scott Drew, like the previous poster, or Lorenzo Romar who has done an oustanding job at building a program at Washington.

Not sure why everyone keep lauding Billy Gillespie on here. He has the personality of Nick Saban with the personal issues of Larry Eustacy and you want him running your hasketball program? I think not. I will take Lebo over him.

Drew is a possibility, but I don't know that he would want it. Romar would take a dump truck of cash, and maybe not even then.

Unfortunately, it's going to take a hire like Lebo again. A young, lower conference, head coach that wants to move up to one of the big leagues. The new facilities are going to help, but this is still a bad job.

• 4 months later...

We need a coach like Tony Barbee. Wonder if we can talk him into coming to AU? :P

We need a coach like Tony Barbee. Wonder if we can talk him into coming to AU? :P

Ha ha ha! Fat chance! A bright young guy like that won't come to this basketball graveyard. Besides, JJ will be too cheap to pay him enough.

Archived