Best Case Analysis

autiger4life

So I think we all realize we only have one, maaaaybe two years left with Malzahn. When he leaves there is a good chance we take a hit in recruiting as a lot of players want to play in his system.

The question is, what is the best case scenario in your mind when he leaves? Trooper becomes OC? Bring in someone new? Who would you bring in? Recruiting or coaching ability more important?

Discuss.

I wouldn't guarantee that Malzahn will be gone in another year or two. Yes what he did for us last year was great compared to what we have witnessed in the recent past. But on a national scale and from a consistency standpoint, the performance wasn't there. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade him for anyone else at this point but I'm not sure he will be offered a high profile head coaching job any time soon. I'm not sure he'll get an OC offer for more than Jacobs will pony up if he continues to produce. My gut tells me Malzahn will be here a bit longer than some of us think. I just don't see him jumping at the first head coaching job that comes at him every season.

Who knows? He may shock us all and turn into one of those people that loves the offensive side of it enough to stay a coordinator. He said eventually he wants to be a head coach but he isn't in a rush. I wouldn't think that actually reads "I'd like to be a head coach after next season"; time will tell.

As for your question, I would guess we would promote from within to keep some level of consistency with the offense. Trooper may well get a look if he learns the ins and outs of the offense well enough. I doubt there will be a huge change in offensive scheme after Malzahn leaves.

Maybe it's the O&B glasses but despite all our rivals wishing otherwise, CGM seems very happy down on the Plains. Especially, in the recent Auburn Everyday video...

He'll surely get opportunities but based on what I've seen, I don't believe he'd make a parallel move or even take a sub-par HC job.

Also, I think that Chizik takes a little different approach to compensation. I might be proven wrong, but he doesn't strike me as the kind to value making $4 million instead of $2.2 million but having his key assistants making a small fraction of that and constantly looking for other positions elsewhere. Even when he came in he told Jacobs he'd take less if that money could be put toward getting the best assistants he could find. I could see him doing a similar thing going forward to keep the staff as intact as possible for as long as possible. Eventually, some are going to get head coaching jobs, but if you're happy as a position coach or coordinator and you're being paid at the top of your profession (and better than many 'starter' head coaching gigs), there's much less of an urge to bolt.

This: By Duder:My gut tells me Malzahn will be here a bit longer than some of us think. I just don't see him jumping at the first head coaching job that comes at him every season."

and this: "He said eventually he wants to be a head coach but he isn't in a rush. I wouldn't think that actually reads 'I'd like to be a head coach after next season'; time will tell."

No need to worry about stuff like that. Bamzos and their weenies in the media are going to do annual "Gus Is Gone" predictions, much like they lied about Coach Tuberville. You can measure their fear and hatred by the number of such rumors they try to start. Paying attention to them only helps their cause.

He'll either stay on like Mickey Andrews did at FSU or move on to be a HC sooner or later. Coach Chizik had the vision to hire Malzhon, trust that he'll find a suitable replacement when the time comes.

Archived