Last dance at BEMC

Mikey

As one of those that attended the first game there, I got a complementary ticket to last night’s game, plus got to go mingle on the floor after the game. I guess I used to know some of the other people there that went to that first game, but they’ve got OLD! Me, I look the same as I did in ’69, except the hairdo is a little, um, different.

John Mengelt looks like he could suit up and play today, “Big Bill” Alexander is still big and Carl Shetler is still about 5’ 9”, even if the programs did list him at 6’.

Wally Tinker made his shot first try and I sure am glad. Tink was the meanest human being I’ve ever met and I didn’t know what he’d do if he missed.

Some thoughts:

I’m still mystified about why we did away with BEMC in favor of a new $92 million facility. Maybe somebody wanted it, but we didn’t “need” it. Internet gossip to the contrary, BEMC is not a dump and if a coach and program aren’t successful, a building won’t bring in recruits. Check out Duke’s Cameron arena, built around 1920. Duke doesn’t have a recruiting problem.

My impression on the first night there, those many years ago: Looking around at how many people were in there (11,000+) and comparing that crowd to the few that could get into the old "barn".

Best day there: Watching my son graduate.

Other great times: AU 121, UAT 78, with Mengelt hitting 60.

Auburn’s Larry Hill beating UAT’s previously undefeated John Hannah in wrestling.

Becky Jackson and Joe Champi leading AU women’s BB into the elite category.

Watching Eddie Johnson, Mike Mitchell & co. play Bob Davis’s brand of basketball.

Watching Barkley suddenly become interested in the process in the second half and single handedly whip UGA.

Doc Robinson’s team doing their thing.

All in all, if it had to end, 89-80 over MSU was pretty good.

Went last night as well. Randell Walker the center on that team was a personal family friend. His family farm was right down the road from where I grew up. As a kid I used to pick left over cotton on their farm for 5cents a pound. It takes a lot of cotton to make a pound. Big Randell died a few years ago.

I just learned last night that Randell Walker had passed. Sorry to learn that.

It does, indeed, take a lot of hand picked cotton to make a pound. I never did that and I think that's something I can live without.

My wife says that the reason she learned to cook for a big crowd was because when she was 10 years old they weighed her cotton at noon the first day at her granddaddy's farm. They sent her from the field to the kitchen to help Grandma cook, her pitiful handful of cotton being unsatisfactory. Thenceforth she was a cook while her brothers, sisters and cousins had to pick cotton. I married a smart girl, yes?

I think you were the smart one to marry the cook :thumbsup::)

I don't think it's a fair comparison to put Auburn basketball against Duke basketball. While BEMC has its charm, Cameron (and the Duke basketball program itself) has mystique which is why they can get the best athletes. The new arena is sorely needed to show the university is committed to fielding a competitive basketball program. Like it or not, it's an arms race. Auburn's basketball program has flatlined and I don't know if Lebo is ever going to take it to the next level.

Some thoughts:

I’m still mystified about why we did away with BEMC in favor of a new $92 million facility. Maybe somebody wanted it, but we didn’t “need” it. Internet gossip to the contrary, BEMC is not a dump and if a coach and program aren’t successful, a building won’t bring in recruits. Check out Duke’s Cameron arena, built around 1920. Duke doesn’t have a recruiting problem.

i really enjoyed the last game in bemc. i worked there for 3 years, ran countless miles of stairs there, saw no telling how many games, and it was the last place i was an AU student on the day of graduation. i got to go to the game with my dad, who instilled the love for auburn that i have today, and who was at the first game in bemc. lots of memories in that place, but i am excited to make some new one in our new home.

Archived