Devin Gaulden

bdc81

Chad Simmons from fox sports reporting via twitter that Gaulden is decommiting. Apparently we have confidence in landing Roberson, Florence,Therizie and others to complete or defensive back class and Gaulden has decided to move on. I have not followed Gaulden much but he is probably the least heralded member of next years class at this point. He had a great camp at AU that earned him an offer but has not played well this year per reports. Someone here was hinting at a summer commit decommiting a week or so ago so I guess this is it.

So, is he decommitting on his own initiative or is Auburn encouraging him to look elsewhere? Back in July it sounded like our coaches were sold on this guy. I hope we aren't "losing out" here.

As for the others we are pursuing, Florence may be solid to Auburn but the others are up in the air. If he, Lanier and Rose are the only DB's we get we'll still be out looking come signing day.

Sounds like others are higher on AU's board...

I would think AU looks at this as an opportunity to fill this spot with a more highly rated player at the same position. Not sure if we explicitly told him to look elsewhere, or if he just read between the lines, or if he genuinely like BC better on the visit. I assume our coaches look at it as a mulligan since he was a reach from camp that looked like he might have been a mistake at a position where we need to bring in studs. Now we have the opportunity to go after the big dogs with reckless abandon. Personally I think Roberson is a lock. I think Florences has favored us all along but Ive heard that his girlfriend going to AU is at least a part of why he likes us so much. Plus he is being recruited heavily by the bad guys so I will wait nervously until signing day when he is set to announce(but I do think we are the favorite). Therezie and Whitehead seem to be interested and we just have to sway them to move us from 2-5 on their list to #1. Still work to do there. There are a handful of guys comparable to Gauldin that we could scoop up between now and then in a pinch Eric (Clearwater Fl)or Alex Dixon (Prichard Al), Ahmad Cristian, etc, We have offers out to a handful of 2 and 3 star corners along with the big boys (THerezie and Whitehead) to go along with Lanier and the class from last year of Davis, Mincy, and White>

So, is he decommitting on his own initiative or is Auburn encouraging him to look elsewhere?

More or less being pushed out. A no name guy isn't going to pull out from a big offer like Auburn unless he really broke out and got offers from the big instate school(s), which obviously didn't happen. When a kid who randomly got an offer in camp and committed on the spot starts "looking around" halfway through the senior season it usually means the coaches cooled on him.

Archived