Our pass coverage

aubrandon

I can not think of a bad enough word for our pass coverage. Laughable, horrible, pathetic, deplorable, are just a few words I can think of. What is unsettling is we are getting worse instead of better. Why we do not look for the ball and we keep diving at the feet of the ball carrier just baffles me. Several of the throws that Arky made could have been picked off if the D B turns his head around. I don't get it. How receivers continue to get wide open is unacceptable. We have the players but their technique is just not there. Our secondary coach and safeties coach better pick it up or there will be a U HAUL truck in their driveway.

You know, they are doing all that they can do. The athletes simply aren't out there to play corner. Thorpe got beat deep four times last year at the most damaging times and he's now been beat deep three times this year. He's good against the run but in an ideal world, he'd play safety. If T. Bell isn't seriously injured he's better and he'll help for the rest of the season. Bell's loss yesterday hurt more than the coaches will admit.

Thigpin and Lolley are proven coaches. Lolley, in particular, though he's had several different "official" titles, has been Auburn's cornerbacks coach for years now had has tutored a number of great pass defenders.

Lets don't be so quick to call for the heads of coaches on an undefeated team. These guys are also great recruiters and it looks like Auburn is putting together a blue-chip class of defensive backs. I think if we give those guys better material to work with, we'll like the results.

Thigpin and Lolley are proven coaches. Lolley, in particular, though he's had several different "official" titles, has been Auburn's cornerbacks coach for years now had has tutored a number of great pass defenders.

Lolley was moved to an administrative position; not exactly a shining endorsement towards his coaching abilities. Out of everyone on the staff, he was the one guy who was a clear backup hire...in fact, he was about the 3rd or 4th option. Would be hard to imagine that we couldn't upgrade on Lolley in the offseason.

Haven't seen anyone comment on Bates, he seems to really be struggling in reading plays. With the Savage injury, I wonder if he gets moved back.

I think if we give those guys better material to work with, we'll like the results.

Trooper Taylor turned a group of receivers that couldn't catch a football let alone get open into one of the better units in the SEC within a year. While our talent at DB isn't the best, you have to realize that the fundamentals are completely missing. You mentioned Thorpe getting beat...I've proclaimed that Thorpe should be playing safety before, but on that one TD where he got beat in the corner of the endzone, he was THERE, in position with the receiver, all he had to do was turn around and make a play on the ball. Of course, our DBs never play the ball, and that pass (which was a complete rainbow BTW) just dropped in over his head.

Why we do not look for the ball...just baffles me. Several of the throws that Arky made could have been picked off if the D B turns his head around.

...what he said!...

Several times yesterday I actually thought we had pretty good position/coverage--improved from past weeks--on several Hog receptions that would have been picks or at least break-ups if the DB had eyes in the back of his head. <_<

I have to agree with meta on this one. While we all recognize there is not a boat load of talent, the coaching staff should not allow the players to make the same mistakes for a season and a half. Turning your head doesn't require extra talent or other worldly athletic ability. We could have stopped several plays yesterday, and avoided penalties in previous weeks, if the boys just turned their heads to play the ball. I realize the players are giving their all, we should demand the same from the coaches. Watching your players make the same mistakes for this long is not indicative of coaching talent.

Lolley was moved to an administrative position; not exactly a shining endorsement towards his coaching abilities. Out of everyone on the staff, he was the one guy who was a clear backup hire...in fact, he was about the 3rd or 4th option. Would be hard to imagine that we couldn't upgrade on Lolley in the offseason.

As I noted above, regardless of Lolley's title he's been coaching our corners for a long time. If Chizik didn't like his work, he had a perfect opportunity to let Lolley go when he took over. Instead, he promoted Lolley.

Concerning not looking back for the ball, I used to think that trait would leave with Muschamp, but it seems to be the accepted practice these days. If you're curious, just watch the Texas DB's and you'll see the same thing as you see with Auburn's.

Archived