Earnest Ross and Ty Armstrong leaving AU Basketball program

TitanTiger

I'm not that surprised about Armstrong leaving since he hasn't been here that long but I am surprised that Ross is leaving. I thought Earnest Ross was one of the better players on the team.

I'm not that surprised about Armstrong leaving since he hasn't been here that long but I am surprised that Ross is leaving. I thought Earnest Ross was one of the better players on the team.

I am not a fan of Barbee just cutting players Nick Saban style that is what is going on.

I am not a fan of Barbee just cutting players Nick Saban style that is what is going on.

Me either. But if you are going to cut players Earnest Ross should not be on the cutting block. There are several other guys on the roster who should be gone first who are not close to Div 1 talent.

I hope that Barbee does not make this a regular occurrence to cut players every year. I do think that he was in a position where he needed to do something extraordinary to get more talent on the team. And I kind of feel like he has been open and honest about that was going to happen since he came in. I hope that is the case anyway.

I would have never guessed Earnest Ross would have been let go. But he did show that he can be a productive player. Even with that he was going to take a back seat to Varez and Frankie next season when they are healthy. He may have wanted to go somewhere and be a starter.

He may have sat them down and told them that they were likely to lose a good bit of playing time (especially in Armstrong's case, it may have been reduced to garbage time) once Varez and Frankie were healthy and the new recruits came in.

Cutting players is much more a fact of life in basketball than football. With a 13 player limit, it's a necessity if the team is to win. There will be some of it every year.

It's obvious that factors other than basketball talent came into play here. Ross in particular showed signs of excelling at times. Armstrong was a big presence when his knee was good to go. Personalities, academics, team chemistry or whatever, things beside raw ability were the determining factors in who went and who stayed.

Ross apparently posted on his Facebook page yesterday that this was a decision he made with his family and that he really didn't consult with the coaches about it to decide. He just more or less informed them of his plans.

Ross apparently posted on his Facebook page yesterday that this was a decision he made with his family and that he really didn't consult with the coaches about it to decide. He just more or less informed them of his plans.

Until Auburn begins to eliminate or at least greatly decrease attrition and turnover on the roster I do not see Auburn winning. I realize in basketball you have some of this but the large numbers in recent years for Auburn is astounding. Furthermore, it is also an indication of poor recruiting or poor evaluation of character in my opinion.

Until Auburn begins to eliminate or at least greatly decrease attrition and turnover on the roster I do not see Auburn winning. I realize in basketball you have some of this but the large numbers in recent years for Auburn is astounding. Furthermore, it is also an indication of poor recruiting or poor evaluation of character in my opinion.

You are correct. That's why Jeff Lebo is gone....

You are correct. That's why Jeff Lebo is gone....

There is a distinct difference in that situation and this one though. Lebo was losing people we really needed to keep and it forced us to play guys who normally might not see the floor unless we're up by 30 late in the game. We were actually going to have to lose a couple of current players just to make room for incoming recruits and transfers.

Also of note: both Earnest Ross and Ty Armstrong were Lebo recruits, so this certainly can't be viewed as some failure of evaluation or recruiting by Barbee.

Earnest Ross was our biggest threat last season because of effort, strength, and athleticism. While a couple of the other players were fun to watch in spurts (Gabriel, especially), Ross was fun to watch every time he was on the court. After seeing him for a couple of games last year, I realized that he was like a football player who had some basketball skills. With a couple of more years of development, he really could be a great effort player.

Obviously, I'm disappointed he is gone. We can replace his skill. It will be more difficult to replace his effort.

I won't lose any sleep over losing any players from last year's team. Ross? He'd be a strong 7th or 8th man on a typical team. Our team was so bad last year, he actually looked decent by comparison. He might be a solid baller, but he's not SEC top-shelf. The unfortunate thing is, no one who actually played last year on AU's team was SEC top-shelf talent.

Now, those who are calling this a "sign" of bad things coming from the Barbee regime, hold your breath a bit longer. Remember, Barbee knew he had to cut someone. These guys just don't play ball that well, and he HAS to get some fresh blood in to turn this program around. It's ugly, but its true.

Barbee: "I have mutually agreed with Ty Armstrong and Earnest Ross for them to go in a different direction both academically and athletically. We wish them the best in their future."

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/amfa9a

i thought this was only a lebo thing, but now im not so sure, im not pointing fingers, but im just saying lebo had players leave every season, and now a few leave in coach barbees first yr dejavu :blink:

I won't lose any sleep over losing any players from last year's team. Ross? He'd be a strong 7th or 8th man on a typical team. Our team was so bad last year, he actually looked decent by comparison. He might be a solid baller, but he's not SEC top-shelf. The unfortunate thing is, no one who actually played last year on AU's team was SEC top-shelf talent.

With two years of good coaching, Earnest Ross could turn into an athletic swingman with the skills to contribute in the league. I don't know where he'll surface next, but if he receives good coaching, his motor and his athleticism could get him to the next level.

Yes, we are recruiting better, but Auburn will never be at a place where developing players aren't needed.

Barbee: "I have mutually agreed with Ty Armstrong and Earnest Ross for them to go in a different direction both academically and athletically. We wish them the best in their future."

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/amfa9a

i thought this was only a lebo thing, but now im not so sure, im not pointing fingers, but im just saying lebo had players leave every season, and now a few leave in coach barbees first yr dejavu :blink:

Did you not see what was mentioned previously in the thread. Lebo was losing players unexpectedly that we absolutely needed, forcing players who probably weren't SEC-caliber into the regular lineup. That is different than losing guys that are not top flight SEC talent, only one of which got a lot of playing time, when you already knew a couple of people would need to leave to make room for the recruits we have coming in?

Dejavu, my ass.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I don't know how I missed this last summer but Ross ended up transferring to mizzu and will be eligible this next season. I would love to know more of the backstory because IMO he was the best all around player on our team 2 seasons ago.

I know Earnest Ross personally and have a common background due to our time spent in NC. He's a good player, but one of those kids like Toney Douglas who will continue to move around till he's in a situation where he can have the best opportunity to go pro. I'm not trying to go too deep into his personality and whatnot, but it didn't surprise me about his departure a year ago.

Archived