Pike gone

Duder

Dye on Smashmouth: If Auburn coaches had to do it again, they probably wouldn't recruit Zeke Pike.

@KevinScarbinsky

I love and appreciate Coach Dye - But I can't help but think he may just need to keep his comments & opinions to himself sometimes. AU may be better served if Coach Dye conducted himself like Coach Chizik - keep tight lipped, and when you feel the need to speak publically, don't be so candid. An ounce of descretion is worth it's weight in gold.

As a blanket statement I agree with you on Coach Dye but on this specific issue he is 100% correct.

Wasn't Pike a Malzahn recruit? Given the change at OC, I think Dye is 100% accurate. Maybe that's what he meant :yes:

Dye on Smashmouth: If Auburn coaches had to do it again, they probably wouldn't recruit Zeke Pike.

@KevinScarbinsky

I love and appreciate Coach Dye - But I can't help but think he may just need to keep his comments & opinions to himself sometimes. AU may be better served if Coach Dye conducted himself like Coach Chizik - keep tight lipped, and when you feel the need to speak publically, don't be so candid. An ounce of descretion is worth it's weight in gold.

As a blanket statement I agree with you on Coach Dye but on this specific issue he is 100% correct.

Wasn't Pike a Malzahn recruit? Given the change at OC, I think Dye is 100% accurate. Maybe that's what he meant :yes:

His statement would still be valid if Gus was still here.

JMO, but Chiz probably agrees with Dye but would not say so. Gotta remember that ZP was an active recruiter and seemed to be in tight with a number of AU recruits. Pulling the rug out from under him before he even signed his LOI might have cost us some other kids too.

Again...just an opinion, but perhaps the coaches were willing to extend him additonal chances before the LOI in order to avoid possible problems with other recruits. They gave him a chance to turn things around...and at least, when it was time for him to "go" the other players saw the reasons and understood the coaches position. Don't recall seeing anyone from the team indicating that ZP was treated unfairly.

Pike's not alone in that regard. Auburn, and every other school that gives football scholarships can name several that they wish they hadn't given a scholarship to. Coach Dye is turning into our Jimmy Carter, there are times when he should just zip his lip.

Pike's not alone in that regard. Auburn, and every other school that gives football scholarships can name several that they wish they hadn't given a scholarship to. Coach Dye is turning into our Jimmy Carter, there are times when he should just zip his lip.

This is basically my point ~ Some things are just better left unsaid. I'm not sure Coach Dye should be speaking publically about what he thinks our current coaching staff woulda/shoula/coulda done with a current or former player. Coach Dye no longer recruits for this team, he is not in the position to decide one way or the other on any recruit or player.

Like I said previously, I love him and respect him. But, quite honestly I think he is somewhat out of touch and has very little experience with "today's" recruiting firestorm. He didn't have to work with the 24/7 exposure that today's recruiting gets. Back in Dye's day - a common fan rarely even knew who the hell AU had signed until the player hit the field as a Sophmore!

:clap:

the fact is that if Pike had kept his act together he would still be on the AU team.

he might have been redshirted, he might even have turned into a tight end at AU, but he would still be here on scholarship.

Pike made the poor decisions that resulting in what happened...........

Archived