I think we get...

Aurob

Oku, Phillips, Gaines, and Farms just reading between the lines of the updates today.  LSU folks seem confident they will get Benton, combine that with his coaches recent comments and I don't like our chances there, but I hope I'm wrong.  It sure would be nice to get Blake because I really think we could use another big time reciver.   

Yeah I think Blake is 50/50 between us and Texas Tech.  Here is some excerpts from an article written on Benton  by LSU beat Writer Glenn Guilbeau (I dont think we are out of it, but this doesn't sound great):

Even though Benton has twice signed with LSU coach Les Miles, Benton said he has still not made up his mind about going to LSU. He is still considering Auburn, where he visited last weekend. And several Auburn assistant coaches were in Bastrop on Tuesday to talk to Benton and Randle, who is expected in Auburn Friday for his final weekend visit.

"I talked to Auburn, but it was just talking," Benton said. "I talked to them a couple of weeks ago when they came down here for Rueben. I had a pretty good visit there. It was nice. They have all new coaches. I had told coach Miles that I was going to visit them, and he wanted me to come down this weekend. So I'm going to LSU this weekend."

Benton realizes what a stir it could cause if he signs with another school after twice signing with LSU.

"No, I haven't made up my mind," he said. "But I know if I turn LSU down, I'll be letting down a lot of people."

Benton totalled 1,037 receiving yards at Bastrop as a senior in 2006.

"All the work has been completed this time," Bastrop coach Brad Bradshaw said. "But we still have got to get through the Clearinghouse. When we get through the Clearinghouse, I'll say he's eligible. He's done everything that he was told to do by the NCAA. He was not cleared last summer because he messed up and because of my not understanding all the rules and what it took. They told him what he needed to do. But that's behind him now. He made a mistake."

Guest jojo1515

"All the work has been completed this time," Bastrop coach Brad Bradshaw said. "But we still have got to get through the Clearinghouse. When we get through the Clearinghouse, I'll say he's eligible. He's done everything that he was told to do by the NCAA. He was not cleared last summer because he messed up and because of my not understanding all the rules and what it took. They told him what he needed to do. But that's behind him now. He made a mistake."

This guy graduated HS in 2007.  Here it is 2009 and his HS coach is trying to control his recruiting??  :dunno:  He didn't get in last year because his HS coach misunderstood something??  After his Freshman year in college, why did the HS coach have enough control to misunderstand something and cost this player a year in major college??  Now the HS coach is still involved after his Sophomore year in college?? I understand maybe trying to help, but this is going way beyond help.  This has hit a level of hinderance and control.  There has got to be some major money or benefits changing hands here.  JMO

I totally agree re:benton's coach.  I think an advantage for us in this situation is the guy is two years removed from high school so his coach probably doesnt have as much control/input on the kid as he did two years ago.  Plus if it really was his fault he didnt qualify Benton may be pissed at him.  That being said it's always really hard to lure kids out of Louisiana LSU wants and it's clear from these comments this kid has a ton of pressure on him.

The only reason I think we have a shot at the kid (besides being two years removed from his coach) is our depth chart should look MUCH more favorable to Benton than LSU's.  They have Brandon Lafell who is a senior and leading returning reciver.  Tolliver is a junior and former four star and second leading reciver.  Jackson and Mitchell  are seniors and former 4 stars.  Dixon is a junior and former 4 star as well.  They also have 4 star kenny bell commited in this class along with 5 star Russell Sheppard (who is currently a QB but I think everyone know will be moved to WR, and are very likely to add Reuban randle.  LSU is also a finalist for Kendall Kelly as well.

Other than montez billings and hawthorne (who had around 500 and 400 yards last year) auburn has no recivers that re really proven.  The only guys that were 4 stars in high school are Hawthorne, Billings, and Zachary.  I know stars dont matter, but I belive they do to recruits when they are looking at depth charts.  LSU has much more proven and highly rated talent at WR returing than Auburn.  Hopefully Benton will look past the pressure and see that.

I think that is one of the things these coaches are telling these kids that they could come in and play right away. All these coaches are new and arent going to have favorites on the team everyone is equal at the beginning of the year.

Archived