MUST READ: Lattimore talks new top eight, Auburn visit

AUSportTalk

By Brian McLaughlin

Sporting News

Auburn hosted nearly two dozen top prospects for unofficial visits this weekend, an experience Marcus Lattimore said was a blast. It was labeled the "Big Cat Weekend", and already the get together is being scrutinized because it may have broken some NCAA rules that forbid publicizing visits by prospects.

What happens as a result remains to be seen, but the impression it made on Lattimore was a good one. He said he has a fresh top eight (Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida State, Maryland, North Carolina, Penn State and South Carolina) with no team in the lead, though he told Sporting News that Auburn is a serious contender for his services, and the weekend had a lot to do with it.

"They just didn't want to relate anything to football, they just wanted some of the top recruits they were after to get together and meet each other and have some fun," the 5-foot-11, 210-pound RB told SN. "I had a good time, had a blast."

The recruits watched the Denver Nuggets and Los Angeles Lakers play for the NBA's Western Conference title, played pool, ping pong and video games, and had pie, watermelon and cake-eating contests. They even did some decorating of Auburn’s Toomer's Corner, toilet-paper rolling the whole area like fans of the Tigers traditionally do.

"Somehow it got out that we all were there," Lattimore told SN. "People were there at Toomer's Corner to support us. A lot of alumni were there and they decided to toilet paper the trees. We definitely felt the love from Auburn. We had a great time the whole time."

Lattimore, who plays for national powerhouse Byrnes (Duncan, S.C.) is Sporting News' No. 1 overall prospect for the class of 2010. SN100 players Khairi Fortt (LB), Trovon Reed (WR) and Lache Seastrunk (RB) were also at Auburn.

Seastrunk, a heavy Auburn lean who is good friends with Lattimore, poked some fun at Alabama coach Nick Saban while he was there, saying on video, "What's up, Nick Saban? Wait until we get here."

"He's a character," Lattimore said of Seastrunk. "I couldn't do that. Especially not to Nick Saban, he's one of the best coaches ever. Lache's a good person, and he was just joking around. He's just playing. He didn't mean anything by it."

As far as Lattimore's new list of eight schools, he said he trimmed the list after he finished his weekend visit at Auburn.

"All of them are even, and I'm going to take it slow from now on," Lattimore told SN. "I just got a little sheet of paper and did it coming back. I knew I had to do it soon. I haven't been to Maryland or Penn State or Alabama yet, but I will. I just felt comfortable with all of the coaches at the schools I picked."

More comments from McLauglin:

Lache called me about 2-3 weeks ago (while I was in the grocery store, doesn't that always happen?) when I was working on some updates on our SN100. He asked me how he could get ahold of Seantrel Henderson, the best lineman in the country, so he could get Seantrel to come to Auburn.

Lache's a great, great kid, really is, but he's just young. Marcus Lattimore, on the other hand, sounds like an NFL Vet already, and he has both Auburn AND Alabama on his list. But he did like Auburn a lot.

Lache's probably already a silent commitment.

That's pretty freaking awesome!! Man, how sweet would it be to land the top two running backs in the country? Shoot, while we're at it, why not throw in Grant to boot? Talk about preserving the tradition at Running Back U...

You know, even if Lache decides not to come to Auburn.  He really did a lot in terms of recruiting for the Tigers.  If it wasnt for him, Lattimore would not have even thought about Auburn.  Now he is trying to get Henderson to check it out.....actually, im about to get on facebook and thank him for that lol.  I think the writer (and maybe all of the excited Auburn people) need to take a step back and make sure they will be able to come to terms if neither of these players comes to Auburn.  I really wont mind because, with both of these players constantly talking about Auburn it really gets their foot in the door for future recruits.

The fact that he is trying to get a hold of Seantrel Henderson for the sole purpose of promoting Auburn is almost disturbingly thrilling.

A friend in Auburn emailed me and said we're still very much in the picture for Lache and Marcus. He also told me there could be other surprises coming down road.

Archived