Computer Help

I can't get certian web sites to load on my home computer.

Fo example,

www.stltoday.com

www.discoverbiz.com

They load fine when I'm using my work computer.

Can anyone help me?

I have a HP Pavillion 533W with Windows XP

Yes, I hear a MAC would be better, but that's not financially feasible now. ;)

I checked that. The odd thing is that these sites loaded fine a few weeks ago, but now they won't. I've disabled my firewall and tried to refresh them tat way too.

sounds like you aren't getting dns resolutions.

but a good quick check would be to download firefox - www.mozilla.com and see if you can pull them up in that browser.

If you can, it means there are some settings in IE 6 that have been set to keep you from accessing those sites.

If you cant, then it means you arent getting dns resolution on those specific IP addresses which would indicate either an ISP problem or a router problem.

Now you may want to figure out what settings they are that are keeping you from accessing those sites...or you could just stick with firefox.

im sure that would make ol Titans day. ;)

:roflol:

Actually, I'm still curious as to why he couldn't even load the sites in IE. I mainly slam IE for security issues, stability, speed, and lack of key features such as pop up blocking and cookie management. I've never said it just refused to load a webpage though.

Thanks for the input. As you can tell, I'm naive when it comes to software and hardware. I will check Spybot.

Thanks everyone.

Maybe some adware latched onto some IE6 settings. Run Spybot to be sure...really can't go wrong running this stuff.

Spybot

Spybot question: When I go to certain sites I get a message that it's attempting to download "XYZ"...and asks if I want Spybot to block it. Is there a way that I can get it to block it by default without asking me everytime? I looked under the options but maybe not very well! Any suggestions?

Guest AuNuma1
Spybot question: When I go to certain sites I get a message that it's attempting to download "XYZ"...and asks if I want Spybot to block it. Is there a way that I can get it to block it by default without asking me everytime? I looked under the options but maybe not very well! Any suggestions?

Good question. I've never had spybot to ask me something while Spybot wasn't even running. What browser are you using? Are you sure spybot is asking that question? I've never even heard of that before...anyone else seen this?

Good question. I've never had spybot to ask me something while Spybot wasn't even running. What browser are you using? Are you sure spybot is asking that question? I've never even heard of that before...anyone else seen this?

Browser is IE6. The message says: Spybot-S&D reports that you want to download "Double Click." This is a known threat. Do you want to BLOCK this download? The other one says "Avenue A". The page I'm loading is the Washington Post home page. It does it on MSNBC's home page, too. At first I thought maybe it was dependent on which mode I was in with Spybot, but it's the same either way. It doesn't seem to adversely affect performance except that I have to close those windows sometimes.

hmmm weird spybot has never done anything while i wasnt running it. Is there even an option to enable it in your startup......

Does IE have an option under "cookies" that lets you only receive cookies from the sites you navigate to? For instance, you'd get a cookie for MSNBC, especially if you've set it up to personalize the news for your region. That's how it knows to gather the right news whenever you come to the site. But, you wouldn't get cookies from advertisers or marketing trackers like Doubleclick or Hitbox.

I know the upgrade to IE6 does since the sp2 was released.

But I dont remember about prior versions. I never worry about cookies or security

Does IE have an option under "cookies" that lets you only receive cookies from the sites you navigate to? For instance, you'd get a cookie for MSNBC, especially if you've set it up to personalize the news for your region. That's how it knows to gather the right news whenever you come to the site. But, you wouldn't get cookies from advertisers or marketing trackers like Doubleclick or Hitbox.

I'll have to check it out. I'm at work now and it's at home. I don't have anything special set up with those sites except I have an account w/the Post that logs me in automatically, but nothing w/MSNBC.

Does IE have an option under "cookies" that lets you only receive cookies from the sites you navigate to?  For instance, you'd get a cookie for MSNBC, especially if you've set it up to personalize the news for your region.  That's how it knows to gather the right news whenever you come to the site.  But, you wouldn't get cookies from advertisers or marketing trackers like Doubleclick or Hitbox.

I'll have to check it out. I'm at work now and it's at home. I don't have anything special set up with those sites except I have an account w/the Post that logs me in automatically, but nothing w/MSNBC.

I was just wondering because Doubleclick, Hitbox, Fastclick and such things are tracking cookies. Advertisers and marketers use them to track users surfing habits. They are supposedly "blind" in that no personally identifiable info is given, but some find them intrusive. I prefer to only get cookies from sites I've chosen to go to or click through to access. Apple's Safari browser has always had this option as has Mozilla Firefox.

That is the alert you're getting from Spybot. I'd deny access and see if there isn't a checkbox that says "Don't ask me this again" or something similar so you don't have to do it everytime. Or use Firefox. Or wait for IE to catch up.

Archived