Is Auburn gonna open the new arena with UNC?

AUSportTalk

"UNC is talking to Auburn about opening up new arena in 2010 (remember Roy Williams-Jeff Lebo connection), but talk still infancy stages." From ESPN's Andy Katz

Lets play North Carolina to open up. Win or lose it shows we're serious about basketball and want our program to grow and compete with top notch teams. BRING IT UNC!! And it would be nationally televised..  :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:

Lets play North Carolina to open up. Win or lose it shows we're serious about basketball and want our program to grow and compete with top notch teams. BRING IT UNC!! And it would be nationally televised..  :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:

very good point, bring them on!

Guest auburn warrior

yeah why not a new stadium gainst a team usually in the final four if we won that game we could get the attention of big bball recruits

Would you rather pick a patsy to break the arena in with a "W" or bring in a big name, top ranked team and have a good chance to lose the first game in your new arena?  Either way, it should be packed so that shouldn't be a consideration. 

Its not about packing it out. Its about showing the recruits that we're here to compete seriously.  :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance: :wedance:

Well, it is partly about packing it out.  The new arena is the biggest thing to happen to Auburn basketball in a long time.  You better pack it out for the first game no matter who the opponent is.  A recruit would not be very impressed if you don't.  I am not saying don't play the North Carolinas just I'm not sure you want to do that for the first game in the new arena. 

:we:

I for one think it would be a great idea to bring in someone like UNC to play the first game in the new arena. I agree with the posts that it would show that AU really is serious about basketball and scheduling some big names. I would think it would be televised, and that would be a great recruiting tool---especially over the dump that's there now, and ESPECIALLY over the dump in Tuscaloosa.

How about a team where AU would actually have a chance to win? UNC would be fun to watch (for a UNC fan). We would get blown..... BLOWN OUT by a team of that caliber.

I agree.  I think it would be great to play UNC in the new arena, just not the first game.  I think we should break it in with a victory instead of getting blown out in the first game in your new arena.

No way it would be a bad move to open the new arena with the Tarheels.  Thats as big time as it gets.  If we lost, and we probably would, the announcers would still talk about how badass our new arena was all over national TV.  Thats how you get recruits.  Beard Eves is like a giant Harry's.  Needs to be condemed

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would great if we could play North Carolina to open our new arena next year. And I agree with alot of you, it would help this program in winning over some top recruits. Besides, if we ever want respect from the college basketball world, we must start scheduling the BIG BOYS. If not, then keep playing the little sisters and only going to the NIT.

I think it would great if we could play North Carolina to open our new arena next year. And I agree with alot of you, it would help this program in winning over some top recruits. Besides, if we ever want respect from the college basketball world, we must start scheduling the BIG BOYS. If not not, then keep playing the little sisters and only going to the NIT.

I sure would like to beat some of the little sisters we are playing.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't be so sure that it would be Lebo. I've watched this team play multiple times this year. One minute they look like that could be a top SEC team and the next 5 minutes they look like they couldn't beat a high school team. If that isn't coaching I don't know what is.

I wouldn't be so sure that it would be Lebo. I've watched this team play multiple times this year. One minute they look like that could be a top SEC team and the next 5 minutes they look like they couldn't beat a high school team. If that isn't coaching I don't know what is.

Sadly, that is what I have seen this year. 

:(

For those of you worried about selling out the first game, I wouldn't worry since the new arena is only going to hold 9,600. That's compared to the 10,500 that Beard-Eaves held. Plus, the layout of the arena is ALOT different. Every seat is going to feel like it is on top of the court, and the students are going to be wrapped around the bottem sections of the court, kinda like Dukes. Cameron Indoor Arena. The planners envisioned an atmoshere like that at Duke, with a smaller arena, but a louder, more raucus crowd, led by the students! I've been to games at Cameron, and I hope we can start something like what they've got there! It is AUSOME!

:believe:

I say schedule several of the "big boys"...UNC, Duke, Louisville, UConn.  By the way, did anyone see the Louisville ballgame on today? I haven't seen that many dunks since the 80's with Scooter and Rodney McCray.  Anyway, back on tipic.  Who wouldn't want to go see their Auburn Tigers play a great team that you would normally only get to watch on tv...and in a brand new facility.  Between the students and the local community, that place should sell out everytime the doors are open.

Archived