Tree hugger felled by falling tree

Environmentalist dies

NewsOK.com

Blake Champlin, a Tulsa lawyer and environmental activist, died Monday at his home when a tree supporting a hammock fell and crushed him.

Champlin, 45, died instantly, said Gerald Hilsher, an attorney with Shipley & Kellogg, Champlin's former law firm.

Champlin was a member of Sierra Club and Save the Illinois River, and the director of Keep Tulsa Beautiful. He also pushed for an agreement between Oklahoma and Arkansas on phosphorus limits in northeast Oklahoma waters, Hilsher said.

He was a featured speaker at numerous environmental seminars throughout the region and represented many individuals in northeast Oklahoma who sued poultry companies for alleged water and air pollution, specifically around the Grand Lake area.

Link

This makes absolutely no sense at all. I mean, the irony of the headline does and all that ... but my AU engineering education does not allow me to entertain the thought of a hammock as being the cause of making a tree "fall down." I've cut my share down with chainsaw and/or ax & I can assure you that it takes a lot of effort to bring down a tree -- much more than that provided by tying a normal backyard hammock to one. Someone isn't telling the whole story here.

He was most likely one the unluckiest environmentalist ever, but possibly his inaction in removing a problem tree, was key, If a tree looks unsafe, which this one must surely have, you gotta cut it down.

I have a pear tree that is overburdenned with pears, that baby is comin to the ground this weekend. My wife is ridin my butt to bring it down. So fall it will. The moral: If the tree aint fit, you must chop it !(down)

I have a pear tree that is overburdenned with pears, that baby is comin to the ground this weekend. My wife is ridin my butt to bring it down. So fall it will. The moral: If the tree aint fit, you must chop it !(down)

Satisfy my curiousity, please -- tie a hammock to your problem pear tree and time how long it takes for the hammock to bring it down. It's OK if you use calendar to measure the elapsed time.

If you pick the pears the tree limbs wont be over burdened. :poke:

I wish the article mentioned the type of tree involved. If it is good at keeping pinko lawyers and tree huggers at bay, I'll plant a yard full of them.

I'm with Logger on this one, I'd like to hear the whole story on this one.

Death, in most instances, is always a tragedy, but I found the irony of the story very humorous (in a sick, Darwin Awards kind of way).

Pinko Lawyers?? :blink::D:D

Private joke with someone on the board. :D

These pears aint worth eating they are better for cooking and preserving: 2 things my wife isn't in to. So It leaves a rotten pear mess in the yard, so it's comin down. My neighbors like them so there is another reason to remove it. If they want pears they can grow their own tree. It's leanin to a safe place now, so it's time. If you're in miflin area and want some fresh cut pears Turn up Brighton Ave and look to the left for pear branches this afternoon.

Archived