Does Lebo deserve one year with the new Arena

AuburnNTexas

As many have noted. We have not recruited any big men in years and even the smaller players we have recruited have not been 4 or 5*s.  That said we still have had a couple of decent season under Lebo.  How much of our BB recruiting woes are related to our old facility and how much is related to Lebo?

I am not sure myself.  I would like to hear some others opinions on this. We know he runs a clean program and he is a good man. Does he deserve one year with the new facility to prove he can get the job done?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds cold, but it may depend on who is available to replace him. We can toss out a bunch of names on this and other message boards, but only somebody in certain positions can know if any of those names would be interested in the Auburn job.

If we can get a knockout replacement, I say do it. Otherwise, Lebo is a pretty good gameday coach and it wouldn't be the end of the world if he got another year.

I don't believe the new facility will make any difference in recruiting. Kids come to a coach, a school,  a program, not a building.

Here is Lebo's Record at Auburn: 

Overall  SEC

2004–2005 Auburn  14-17  4-12 T-5th (West) 

2005–2006 Auburn  12-16  4-12 T-5th (West) 

2006–2007 Auburn  17-15  7-9 T-3rd (West) 

2007–2008 Auburn  14-16  4-12 6th (West) 

2008–2009 Auburn  24-12  10-6  NIT Quarterfinals

2009-2010 Auburn  12-13  3-7 

TOTAL AT AUBURN OVERALL  93-89 (51%)

TOTAL AT AUBURN SEC        31-58 (35%)

Do you really think this kind of crap record deserves a second chance?  If a football coach had this record would be keep him around?  NO

Here is Lebo's Record at Auburn:   

Overall  SEC

2004–2005 Auburn  14-17  4-12 T-5th (West) 

2005–2006 Auburn  12-16  4-12 T-5th (West) 

2006–2007 Auburn  17-15  7-9 T-3rd (West) 

2007–2008 Auburn  14-16  4-12 6th (West) 

2008–2009 Auburn  24-12  10-6  NIT Quarterfinals

2009-2010 Auburn  12-13  3-7 

TOTAL AT AUBURN OVERALL  93-89 (51%)

TOTAL AT AUBURN SEC        31-58 (35%)

Do you really think this kind of crap record deserves a second chance?  If a football coach had this record would be keep him around?  NO

I totally agree. He has had plenty of time to build a program. It was looking good last year, but he just isn't cutting it.

Does Lebo deserve one year in the new Arena? NO! He's had 6 years. If a change is not made, we will be singing the same old song this time next year.

This is getting old... just wait till the seasons over to talk about Lebos future, yall are going to just keep bringing up the same junk day in and day out until then, and then you will bring it up some more.

take my advice, find something else to do until then.

This is getting old... just wait till the seasons over to talk about Lebos future, yall are going to just keep bringing up the same junk day in and day out until then, and then you will bring it up some more.

Unfortunately with Auburn basketball there isn't much else to talk about  :banghead:

Yep. You just know JJ will not fire him like they do in NBA.

I know where yall are coming from... I understand why you talk about it. I guess im just preparing for how bad its going to be once the season is finally over.

If yall think its bad now, what do you think will happen if Lebo isnt fired? This place going to blow up.

I would rather just wait and do it all at one time rather than stretch it out for weeks at a time.

This will be my last post about Lebo until the season is over. Once we finish the SEC Tourney... I will come back to see whats on yalls minds.

Until then im going to pull hard for my tigers through these last few games.

WAR DAMN EAGLE

I know where yall are coming from... I understand why you talk about it. I guess im just preparing for how bad its going to be once the season is finally over.

If yall think its bad now, what do you think will happen if Lebo isnt fired? This place going to blow up.

I would rather just wait and do it all at one time rather than stretch it out for weeks at a time.

This will be my last post about Lebo until the season is over. Once we finish the SEC Tourney... I will come back to see whats on yalls minds.

WAR DAMN EAGLE

Well put!  :we:

WAR DAMN EAGLE

I mean no offense, because you are a cool positive poster here, but if these posts/threads bother your sensitivities so much, don't come into the Basketball forum.

:dunno:

As to whether Lebo deserves another year.....

NO!

Think about this; we have four pretty good basketball players on this year's team and we have amassed a losing record so far, with not really any reason to believe we will not finish with one...

We are losing 3 of these 4 good players, which is (almost all) of our scoring...

None of the freshmen are stepping up to look like really good players for the future, so what kind of trouble will we

be in next year, new arena or not???

I think Lebo had a chance; he did not get the job done... Time for another coach....

I've already voiced my point of view, but will do so again. Let me start by saying Lebo has carried himself with integrity that deserves respect as he has not put Auburn in long term harm's way with the NCAA by running a very honest program by all accounts. Having said that, 6 years is enough time to give anyone to get something on track. I said it before and say it again...When the season ends lebo  needs to be let go of tastefully. It will be best in the long run for both parties. Roy Williams will most likely hire Lebo as an assistant at North Carolina for a year or two where he can catch his breath and then move onto another head coaching job wiser for the experience. Auburn then needs to open the pocket books as they did with the new arena and get a coach who can make AU a consistent tournament level team.

I have openly said that Scott Drew of Baylor would be the perfect fit, if he would even come. He has built the Baylor bears from a team decimated by losses and even a murder to one that will most likely make the sweet sixteen and is now a very good program in the big-12...Whomever we go after, SPEND THE MONEY AND GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME...There will be only one opportunity to open the new arena right. I trust in Jacobs after what he did with Chizik to get this right...We will see...

I think Auburn should make a change. New facilities while great to have, doesn't translate to great play on the court. I agree it helps bring in a certain level of talent and sure helps with the fan base. Great coaches build and maintain programs. Our current coach has been given an opportunity. Ask yourself, if the new arena didn't open until 2011 would we debating the future of our coach? I'm not sure but I suspect that Lebo would be given one more year in Beard-Eaves...not so sure now. He may very well become the last Auburn head coach to coach a basketball team in Beard-Eaves...       

I think a lot of you are going to be disappointed in the decision. I think Lebo is going to get another year. It's not because they don't want a better coach. It is because we can't have anymore transfers or our APR is going to take another hit. The second offense inside the window of the 1st would keep any decent coach from taking the job. We should be in a much better position next year APR wise to make the move and attract a much better quality coach.

What is Lebo's signature win in his six years? I keep hearing that he is a great gameday coach.... well I totally and completely disagree with that statement. Lebo chokes when the pressure picks up.

I think a lot of you are going to be disappointed in the decision. I think Lebo is going to get another year. It's not because they don't want a better coach. It is because we can't have anymore transfers or our APR is going to take another hit. The second offense inside the window of the 1st would keep any decent coach from taking the job. We should be in a much better position next year APR wise to make the move and attract a much better quality coach.

Good point. I wonder how many current players would bail if Lebo left. If they all stayed, APR wouldn't be affected.

It's my understanding that we can only afford 1 transfer and anything over that would mean our score would fall below the minumum requirement. Unless the hire was a big name guy I think we would probably have at least 2 transfers and more likely 3.

Uopn further thought, I believe you are correct.

Looking at the past history of any Auburn sport, there has always been a significant turnover in players with a coaching change. Chizik gave the boot to several FB players last summer. Look what happened when Lebo took over for Ellis. A couple of Coach Champi's players bailed when Nell Fortner was hired.

So, yeah, APR will be a significant reason to hang on to Lebo one more year.

What is Lebo's signature win in his six years? I keep hearing that he is a great gameday coach.... well I totally and completely disagree with that statement. Lebo chokes when the pressure picks up.

this

Should Lebo get another year just because of the new arena? No. Do I think Lebo will still be here next year? Yes. I don't see JJ firing Lebo even though a change is obviously needed here.

Archived