Does Lebo deserve one year with the new Arena

AuburnNTexas

Whether not he deserves another year, I would say no. I just don't see any consistent improvement with the team. As far as the new arena, I think its more for our rising women's program than the men's.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to remember he was somewhat limited with probation during his first two years.  Hey, if, the turds can use probation as an excuse for 10 years, Lebo can use it for two.   I think he gets another year.   Not that I agree with it, that is just my opinion.

Why do some of you want to keep giving JL a free pass and keep him around for another year? you all know if he stays we'll be singing the same song 12 months from now. In fact, some of will be asking "why didn't JJ fire him after the 2009/10 season."

Whether not he deserves another year, I would say no. I just don't see any consistent improvement with the team. As far as the new arena, I think its more for our rising women's program than the men's.

"Rising women's program"? On what planet? The women are 12-14, 3-10. That's worse than Lebo's team.  They got blown out by 15 points at home last Thursday by last-place Arky. Then LSU had a 42-13 halftime lead Sunday afternoon. Good ol' Van Chancellor pulled his starters in the second half so we only lost by 24, 75-51.

The women's program is headin' south faster than the men's.

I disagree with that. This was expected to be a down year and they lost their best player early on. Next year should be a good one for the women with what's coming back and the talent coming in.

AU fans still wouldn't come out and support womens basketball even if they were playing for the NC. Sad, but just a fact. Look at our history of fan support for womens BB. Nobody would put $92 million in an arena because of them. I do like Coach Fortner though and also agree that they will be better next year.

I hope y'all are right. Of course, since we're probably going to finish in the cellar this year there isn't but one way for the women's team to go.

As previously stated, does he deserve another year? No.  Will he be back next year..most likely.  When does his contract run out?

:'(

I have been trying hard to stay out of all these Fire Lebo/Keep Lebo threads as he is still our coach and a good man at that.  I am hesitant to express my opinion on the matter one way or the other due in part to the fact that it is hard for me to make up my mind on how I should feel.  There are very good arguments on both sides of the fence.  I do know, though, that his hands are tied to some extent, but not to the extent that many proclaim.  Should we move in another direction or keep him?  If by chance he is retained then should there be some kind of agreement that certain goals should be met next year or else?  I think so.

I do know this.  Jeff Lebo is a great man of integrity and runs a clean program.  That in itself speaks volumes this day and age in College Basketball.  I honestly don't know what should be done.  What would be best for our basketball program?  I am starting to lean towards going in a different direction but TPTB really need to do some research to figure out who would best fit our unique situation here at Auburn.  This is a tough one.  Either way, we need to try to keep as many of those guys we just signed on board as we can.  There is some pretty good talent in that group.  What should be done?  I don't know.  I am just getting really tired of losing.  WDE!

An emphatic NO!!! He's been here 6 FREAKIN' YEARS! He hasn't done anything. We have consistently had the worst talent in the league every year (as a whole). He's had more than enough time to turn this program around. I'll tell you what he deserves. He deserves to get his pink slip ASAP, and a new coach DESERVES his shot to lead this team. Lebo is a joke.

An emphatic NO!!! He's been here 6 FREAKIN' YEARS! He hasn't done anything. We have consistently had the worst talent in the league every year (as a whole). He's had more than enough time to turn this program around. I'll tell you what he deserves. He deserves to get his pink slip ASAP, and a new coach DESERVES his shot to lead this team. Lebo is a joke.

So I'm just wondering, when we're playing, would you rather just write the team off and trash Lebo, or would you rather actually watch the game? Your attitude leads me to believe you don't watch because we're not "good." It's odd anyone actually watching a game would take the time to trash the players and coach.

We've had some tough losses this year.  (Nice win at home tonight, though)  It seems like Lebo is close to turning things around.  If I were in Jay Jacobs' shoes, I'd withhold judgement until I saw how they finish the season.  I think Lebo should get another year.

So I'm just wondering, when we're playing, would you rather just write the team off and trash Lebo, or would you rather actually watch the game? Your attitude leads me to believe you don't watch because we're not "good." It's odd anyone actually watching a game would take the time to trash the players and coach.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about the players, and I never will. Those guys go out there and bust their butts every game. I appreciate the effort they give every time out. The original question was about Lebo and I gave my opinion. He is an awful coach that can't recruit. How long do you want to give the guy? 10 years? Geez, enough is enough. And don't think we won tonight because of coaching. We won it because Tay got hot and it seemed like we wanted it more than Arkansas. Not to mention the entire SEC West is awful this year. I'm just being realistic. If you don't want to, that's fine. But we have not and we will not EVER go to the Big Dance with Lebo at the helm. It's time to cut the ties and get somebody in here that can coach these players up and actually win. Do fans actually think that a new arena is going to somehow magically give us 6-8 more wins next year? We need to get a new coach in here so he can start building his recruiting classes. This has nothing to do with the players. I am appreciative of their effort and what they do for Auburn, like I said. But the coaching is awful, and it's time for Lebo to go! That is, if you're a fan who doesn't like the same mediocrity year in and year out.

Oh, not to mention we lost to TROY and SAM HOUSTON STATE at home, and they weren't really close. Yeah, that's the coach I want leading the AU bball team. Sweet.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about the players, and I never will. Those guys go out there and bust their butts every game. I appreciate the effort they give every time out. The original question was about Lebo and I gave my opinion. He is an awful coach that can't recruit. How long do you want to give the guy? 10 years? Geez, enough is enough. And don't think we won tonight because of coaching. We won it because Tay got hot and it seemed like we wanted it more than Arkansas. Not to mention the entire SEC West is awful this year. I'm just being realistic. If you don't want to, that's fine. But we have not and we will not EVER go to the Big Dance with Lebo at the helm. It's time to cut the ties and get somebody in here that can coach these players up and actually win. Do fans actually think that a new arena is going to somehow magically give us 6-8 more wins next year? We need to get a new coach in here so he can start building his recruiting classes. This has nothing to do with the players. I am appreciative of their effort and what they do for Auburn, like I said. But the coaching is awful, and it's time for Lebo to go! That is, if you're a fan who doesn't like the same mediocrity year in and year out.

My question was whether you were actually watching the game, or have been watching the games. When you posted, there was still around 3 or 4 minutes to go in the 1st half of a very entertaining game (as usual). I've heard from a lot of people wanting us to lose to get rid of Lebo. Those people can't seriously call themselves fans. Can you imagine wishing Auburn football a loss to get rid of a coach? It's time to start changing the culture around here as much as it is to find a new leader. Bandwagon fans that way --->

As everyone knows I believe he needs to go. If this was any other season it would be an easy decision but with the new arena it makes it a little tougher. Lets break it down.

ONE MORE YEAR

-Does Lebo deserve at least one year in the new arena that was approved a couple of seasons ago?

-A new arena will be a big enough transition. Do we want to start a new arena and a new coach in the same year?

-What if Jay Jacobs goes after another unproven coach or if Auburn can not get a quality proven coach?

-Attendance is bound to be strong the first year in the new arena. For attendance sake why not give Lebo one more year and then if it doesnt work out fire him after next year? A new coach is bound to bring in good attendance so we could have excellent attendance two straight years.

LET HIM GO

-Lebo has had 6 years to show significant improvement. Its not about what Lebo deserves but what Auburn deserves and what is best for the program.

-Is moving to a new arena that big of a transition? Why not look a next year as a new beginning. A new arena, a new coach and a new team.

-Auburn should be able to get a good coach if we try. A new arena and new facilities will be attractive in hiring a new coach. Also the SEC is weak especially the west it would be easier to build a good program with less competition.

-We will lose a lot of players especially our starters. Since we will have virtually a new team, wouldnt now be the best time to hire a new coach?

-Attendance will likely be good anyways with a new arena and a new coach will add to that. Will there be that big of a difference in attendance between the two options?

After comapring both options, I think it is clear that firing Lebo is the best option. We're not in a good situation right now and both decisions are tough, but a new direction and a new start is what we really need.

Archived