Barkley, Finebaum and the media

auburn4ever

Race will always be an issue to those who make it priority. We at AU want to win no matter who it is. I am black and I believe Chizik was the right hire. I thought that then when he was announced. I live in Texas and know what he is capable of. Barkley just wants to be seen. In today's world that means being controversial. I wish Gill much success, but he had no ties to AU and frankly I did not want him here. He was not dedicated to Buffalo he wanted to get on the first thing out of there. I wanted an AU man. Chizik is that.

Very well said.  Agree 100%.

Auburn University and Mike Anderson parted ways six years ago. Never the twain shall meet again.

I could see him wanting to stay at Missouri. Personally, I think he would be better at Auburn. He would be under less stress and I think the time is ripe for any SEC west team to build a good future. I think we should still consider Anderson.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have him at Auburn.  I wanted him before.  I liked him from day one at UAB.  I like his coaching style and the way his teams play.  There is a faction that thinks he is an elitist and he thinks he is bigger than the school.  That could be the reason he would not go to Auburn for an interview.   

That could be the reason--but I don't believe it is. Put yourself in his position. He's having a pretty good run at a C-USA school, people are happy with him. Then an SEC job opens up in the same state. He is a candidate--and the most experienced one, at that. Yet, those conducting the interviewing want to conduct face-to-face interviews at their campus rather than meeting somewhere less conspicuous, away from the schools involved. Right or wrong, it appeared that Richardson made that conscious decision due to the issues with SACS (which were much more important to AU than the sorry basketball program).

So, Anderson must decide whether he risks damaging his relationship with the brass at UAB for an Auburn job that he may not get. While it isn't terribly unreasonable that Richardson insist that he come to meet with him in person, it is also not "the way the game is played." And Anderson told him he couldn't make the visit to AU without a contract in hand.

He would've been going all in--and that would've been foolish considering Baird and Richardson were conducting the search. Just ask Pat Sullivan how things went sour for him at TCU after he accepted the LSU gig, then was told LSU wasn't gonna take care of his buyout.

Bottom-line, these coaches cannot conduct job searches like we do. I certainly don't know if there is any ill will from him. Mizzou is certainly a better job today than AU. If he loves his home state, we definitely have something to offer him.

One thing is for sure, a call to Anderson would be the first one I'd make.

WDE!

I cant stand Charles Barkley.... But I agree I wished we got Anderson the first go round ( liked the Lebo

hire though ) but with the new Arena its a perfect fit 2 me.    We still have Lebo but I dont see them opening the Arena next year with him.... Maybe Im wrong

Archived