Barkley, Finebaum and the media

auburn4ever

Remember what they all said about the Chizik hiring? can we afford to go through that again if we hire white person and overlook a black man. I'm just asking.

We have to hire a black guy in my opinion. Because bammer hired a black coach in Anthony Grant, if we hire a white guy the racism talk will be ten times worse than it was when we hired Chizik.

First of all, let's remember, we don't have a HC opening.  Just for discussion though, if we could get somebody like Grant then he would be the best hire.  I agree about the racists crap, but there again, if you hire the right white, green or yellow man then nobody says anything.  Hiring Lebo over Anderson, IMO, was not the right hire.  I am sure that when the time comes JJ will handle the search process properly.  There will be several black candidates available and if one of them is the best for our program then he will hire that person.

First of all, let's remember, we don't have a HC opening.   Just for discussion though, if we could get somebody like Grant then he would be the best hire.  I agree about the racists crap, but there again, if you hire the right white, green or yellow man then nobody says anything.  Hiring Lebo over Anderson, IMO, was not the right hire.  I am sure that when the time comes JJ will handle the search process properly.  There will be several black candidates available and if one of them is the best for our program then he will hire that person.

Very Very Good Post!!! :thumbsup:

You can't let media dictate who you hire.  You hire the best coach available whether he is white, black, green or yellow. 

^^^THIS^^^

My opinion on the racist thing, if a coach gets hired because of his skin color and he knows he got hired because of his skin color, and he stays at that school knowing this, then he doesn't have a real high opinion of himself. If somebody hired me and told me I was hired because of my race and not my merit or body of work, I couldn't stay and look at myself in the mirror everyday. Just saying. If this sounds bad, I apologize, it's just an opinion.

Which is True?

Black Coaches > White Coaches

White Coaches > Black Coaches

White Coaches=Black Coaches

NONE OF THEM!!!! It's all on a person to person basis.  there are good black and white coaches, there just so happens to be more white coaches than black out there, Chizik has so far proved to be the best hire

If there is a opening to fill eventually, I want the best coach we can get period. Lebo is not the right fit but it has nothing to do with race, it has to do with recruiting and coaching ability. That is the qualifications in my book. Race is immaterial.

If there is a opening to fill eventually, I want the best coach we can get period. Lebo is not the right fit but it has nothing to do with race, it has to do with recruiting and coaching ability. That is the qualifications in my book. Race is immaterial.

Well said.

Guest War Eagle 29

America as a society must get past viewing people in groups. I say if we have an opening at the head BB Coach position after this season, we hire the best qualified INDIVIDUAL we can find regardless of his race, color or creed. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said: [glow=red,2,300]"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." [/glow]

And I can guarantee you if Dr. King was alive today, he would be telling Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to stop rehashing racism. These guys will not let it go away, it's how they make a living. They do nothing but extort money out of people and then disappear. These two men are disgraceful. I grew up with an incredibly racist father, and I never bought in to that crap. My kids are not allowed to label anybody, they don't use the words "white" or "black" because I think it's pointless.

Race should not be a consideration, period. We should not be saying "we will not hire someone because they are black." We should not be saying "we have to hire a black man." To say either is racist. I don't care:

1. What color they are

2. What slimebaum barkeley or anyone else things about who is hired.

If we must hire a "black coach" are we then obligated to keep him longer than we would a white coach should he not be successful?

Guest Autiger88

Race should not be a consideration, period. We should not be saying "we will not hire someone because they are black." We should not be saying "we have to hire a black man." To say either is racist. I don't care:

1. What color they are

If we must hire a "black coach" are we then obligated to keep him longer than we would a white coach should he not be successful?

This^^^

1. What color they are

Some good points right there.

This^^^

Race will always be an issue to those who make it priority. We at AU want to win no matter who it is. I am black and I believe Chizik was the right hire. I thought that then when he was announced. I live in Texas and know what he is capable of. Barkley just wants to be seen. In today's world that means being controversial. I wish Gill much success, but he had no ties to AU and frankly I did not want him here. He was not dedicated to Buffalo he wanted to get on the first thing out of there. I wanted an AU man. Chizik is that.

Race will always be an issue to those who make it priority. We at AU want to win no matter who it is. I am black and I believe Chizik was the right hire. I thought that then when he was announced. I live in Texas and know what he is capable of. Barkley just wants to be seen. In today's world that means being controversial. I wish Gill much success, but he had no ties to AU and frankly I did not want him here. He was not dedicated to Buffalo he wanted to get on the first thing out of there. I wanted an AU man. Chizik is that.

Me too

We need to either hire a coach that can coach and recruit, or have the current coach reprogrammed where he can. Maybe we could have him changed to black as well. I simply want a team to be proud of.

I think it will be highly likely that Mike Anderson will be a candidate for the job. Right now he is 3rd on my list behind Steve Alford (New Mexico) and Mark Turgeon (Texas A&M). If Auburn passes on Mike Anderson I expect the media to scream racism like usual. I just want the coach who fits Auburn the best. I think it would be wrong to go out and hire a coach simply because he is black. When we hire a coach it should be based on merit and and qualification not race.

I think it will be highly likely that Mike Anderson will be a candidate for the job. Right now he is 3rd on my list behind Steve Alford (New Mexico) and Mark Turgeon (Texas A&M). If Auburn passes on Mike Anderson I expect the media to scream racism like usual. I just want the coach who fits Auburn the best. I think it would be wrong to go out and hire a coach simply because he is black. When we hire a coach it should be based on merit and and qualification not race.

I heard from a source at UAB that Anderson would not be interested at all in the Auburn job if it became available. 

I could see him wanting to stay at Missouri. Personally, I think he would be better at Auburn. He would be under less stress and I think the time is ripe for any SEC west team to build a good future. I think we should still consider Anderson.

I could see him wanting to stay at Missouri. Personally, I think he would be better at Auburn. He would be under less stress and I think the time is ripe for any SEC west team to build a good future. I think we should still consider Anderson.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have him at Auburn.  I wanted him before.  I liked him from day one at UAB.  I like his coaching style and the way his teams play.  There is a faction that thinks he is an elitist and he thinks he is bigger than the school.  That could be the reason he would not go to Auburn for an interview. 

Archived