Tubby Smith a Candidate for Auburn Job according to 790 the Zone in Atlanta

screeder1

I was listening on the way in to work and 790 the Zone mentioned that Tubby Smith was a candidate for the Auburn Job and Auburn was going hard after him.  This was news to me since I haven't heard his name at all.  Has anyone else heard this, and second, would this be good or should be go after a younger candidate like a Barbee or someone like that?  WDE!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There would likely be a hugh financial difference considering what it would take to get Tubby Smith vs Barbee.  I do not know how old Tubby Smith but someone like Barbee is still in his youthful stage with a lot of energy.  Bottom line is we want the best coach for the money.  I know that when it comes to hiring a football coach some people put some importance on someone "who knows the SEC"........do you feel that is important in basketball?

There would likely be a hugh financial difference considering what it would take to get Tubby Smith vs Barbee.  I do not know how old Tubby Smith but someone like Barbee is still in his youthful stage with a lot of energy.  Bottom line is we want the best coach for the money.  I know that when it comes to hiring a football coach some people put some importance on someone "who knows the SEC"........do you feel that is important in basketball?

not as much. the sec is by far the hardest conference in football. not so much in bball i wouldnt mind hiring tubby but id rather have a young youthfull coach like barbee. i think both coaches know the recruiting areas around here. barbee was at memphis with calipari so he knows how to recruit around here. also calipari pick him to be the next coach for memphis not pastner

I would love to know where they got that info. First off Jacobs said that most if not all of what we hear will be false. Secondly he said that this process will take some time because some of his choices are in the tourney. I have a hard time believing we are talking to a coach that is going to be in the big dance in a few days. After they get knocked out that's a different story!

Hey.....that reminds me - Pastner is by far the best recruiter in the country right now, let's gauge his interest.

I bet we will but i doubt he leaves the #1 recruiting class

We don't need an over the hill coach. Calipari would be a good choice. Go after the best. Who knows, he may be up for a challange.

Well.... For starters he has a resume that says I win everywhere I go. That's something that our program has NEVER seen. Again not my first choice either, but not my last either.

Well.... For starters he has a resume that says I win everywhere I go. That's something that our program has NEVER seen. Again not my first choice either, but not my last either.

Right/ we could do worse. Better choice than John Brady for sure.

If we could some how pull out a coup and get Tubby Smith, I would be ecstatic!  Proven winner.  He would have us in the tourney every year I think. 

(However, I think all the rumors and such like this are just people pulling names out of a hat.  Like JJ said, you will hear a lot of rumors, and most will be just that...rumors.)

:wedance:

That's exactly what I said earlier. JJ said most of what you hear will be false. Think about CGC. You didn't ever hear his name, then all the sudden he is you new HC. ESPN Insider did have something up yesterday that said Auburn coaching candidates. I would have loved to read that list. It probably started out

1. Mike Gottfried

2. Charles Barkley

The thing with Tubby is you're guaranteed success, so of course it would take more money. Sweet 16 or so at best likely but at least we'd actually be in the conversation nationally and make tournaments. If we take someone like a Barbee from a smaller conference, no matter what, it's still a gamble on success. He could be a rising superstar or just another "good" coach that can't win with a fan base of close-minded football fans who only care about basketball when there is a coaching change or big success. The difference of course is the new facilities, which is why so many big names are being thrown out this time around. Who wouldn't want to enter their 1st season with a SEC school with a brand new arena to recruit with? But it's still a gamble, which is why the price is lower. You're not guaranteed ANYTHING with Barbee and it would still be a scary hire considering how the last 7 years have gone. AND considering how weak the SEC is right now, I think I'd prefer guaranteed over another gamble. Don't know if I can take an entire decade of losing basketball. Barbee will have to work a helluva lot harder than Tubby for success. But who knows if Tubby is even a candidate? He seemed pretty sold on finishing his career at Minnesota not too long ago.

That's exactly what I said earlier. JJ said most of what you hear will be false. Think about CGC. You didn't ever hear his name, then all the sudden he is you new HC. ESPN Insider did have something up yesterday that said Auburn coaching candidates. I would have loved to read that list. It probably started out

1. Mike Gottfried

2. Charles Barkley

Why would you say that? He also said some targets are in the tournament. That wouldn't constitute a Chizik. Say what you want about ESPN, but seriously? And it's Mark, not Mike. Schlabach himself even threw out Sam Mitchell.

I said that because Jacobs said out of his own mouth that the stuff you hear would be rumors and not to believe it. I wasn't making reference to Chizik's history I was making reference to never hearing his name come up and then he was hired out of the blue. The part about ESPN was a joke. That's all it was. A simple joke! ;)

Someone tell me again why he's not at KY jelly anymore.

Because he ran their program into the ground and couldn't recruit up to Kentucky's standards.

Now, I have a written letter (email) from JJ that clearly states that no candidate's names will be released and anything we hear will be rumor and probably false. The letter also states that Auburn will not waste time refuting rumors. So I'll refute it for him: Whatever was on the radio was rumor, and probably false.

Now, I have a written letter (email) from JJ that clearly states that no candidate's names will be released and anything we hear will be rumor and probably false. The letter also states that Auburn will not waste time refuting rumors. So I'll refute it for him: Whatever was on the radio was rumor, and probably false.

I got the same email and I said the same thing earlier. You my friend are spot on!

The thing with Tubby is you're guaranteed success, so of course it would take more money. Sweet 16 or so at best likely but at least we'd actually be in the conversation nationally and make tournaments. If we take someone like a Barbee from a smaller conference, no matter what, it's still a gamble on success. He could be a rising superstar or just another "good" coach that can't win with a fan base of close-minded football fans who only care about basketball when there is a coaching change or big success. The difference of course is the new facilities, which is why so many big names are being thrown out this time around. Who wouldn't want to enter their 1st season with a SEC school with a brand new arena to recruit with? But it's still a gamble, which is why the price is lower. You're not guaranteed ANYTHING with Barbee and it would still be a scary hire considering how the last 7 years have gone. AND considering how weak the SEC is right now, I think I'd prefer guaranteed over another gamble. Don't know if I can take an entire decade of losing basketball. Barbee will have to work a helluva lot harder than Tubby for success. But who knows if Tubby is even a candidate? He seemed pretty sold on finishing his career at Minnesota not too long ago.

Nothing is guaranteed in sports or life. Just saying it or wishing it doesn`t make it so. Might be a step in the right direction though but only time will tell.

Young up and comer. Lot's of energy. Coach at a small program. Comes from good BB pedigree. Are we talking about Barbee or Lebo? Forget all the up and comer crap. Give me a Tubby Smith type anyday. I've had it with the next "hot" coaching up and comer. Give me proven success anyday.

Archived