Tubby Smith a Candidate for Auburn Job according to 790 the Zone in Atlanta

screeder1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm amazed the apparent attitudes/perception/belief that Auburn can just go out and hire a "proven, young coach who has won at multiple stops." How many head coaches out there fit that bill. And if they do, would they consider Auburn? Could Auburn afford to pay them? We should be realistic about the answers to those questions. I'm not downplaying Auburn as a whole here. I'm recognizing the simple fact that this isn't a search for the football coach.

It is fine for us Auburn folks to protest Coach Tuberville's attitudes that we just "can't get the five stars" in football. Coach Chizik has proven that wrong. Shoot, Tommy proved that wrong himself in some earlier classes. But, again, this is not football. How many NCAA men's banner hang/hung in Beard-Eaves? We played in more New Year's Day Bowls in the 1980s than we have NCAA tourneys in Auburn history. Think about that for a second.

Here's something else to consider: There is just one, yes. one modern coach to win a national championship at two different major Div. I schools in any of the big three men's sports: football, basketball and baseball. Yes, it's that Napoleonic fella over at UA. It's worth pointing out here how fortunate Alabama was on timing. If Saban were happier at Miami at the same time Mal Moore was lookingg, someone else would be at Bama.  Off the top of my head, Calipari is the only basketball coach I can think of with Final Fours at two different schools. (UK would make three.)  And it's worth remembering that the two previous banners at UMASS and Memphis have been taken down for cheating.

So again, what is it you want? What is it you think Auburn can get? When you throw out general characterisitcs, provide names. Then lets have a discussion about the likelihood, the price, the fit, etc. But to magically declare that a Tony Barbee is the obvious answer or that a Tubby Smith is obviously not, I just don't understand.

For the record, I would be happy with either coach. To be continued ...

I agree that the discussion shouldn't be about names, that is always a distraction.  JJ needs to identify the type of program that can be successful at AU.  That depends on many factors, some of which I've listed on other threads, but mainly the type of player we can get and the style in which those players can excell.  I don't think that Tubby Smith fits well when it is considered.  He is a great basketball coach but not sure he fits with what AU can get.  I like Barbee because his style of play fits with the type of player AU can recruit consistently.  But there are many options out there that may also fit. 

I put this in another thread, but I will repeat it here:

--------------------------------

Smith's teams, known primarily for a defense-oriented slower style of play coined "Tubbyball", received mixed reviews among Kentucky fans who have historically enjoyed a faster, higher-scoring style of play under previous coaches.

Smith led Kentucky to one national championship in 1998, a perfect 16–0 regular season conference record in 2003 (as well as being named national AP Coach of the Year), five SEC regular season championships (1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005) and five SEC Tournament titles (1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004), with six Sweet Sixteen finishes and four Elite Eight finishes (1998, 1999, 2003, 2005) in his nine seasons after the 1998 championship. He totaled 100 wins quicker than any other Wildcat coach except Hall of Fame member Adolph Rupp, reaching the plateau in 130 games.

Although Smith compiled an impressive resume during his UK career, he came under considerable pressure from many UK fans, who believed that his recruiting was subpar and his failure to achieve a Final Four appearance in his last nine seasons was inadequate by UK standards. Some UK fans went as far as to place "for sale" signs on his front lawn. He did come just a double overtime loss short of a Final Four appearance in 2005, losing to Tom Izzo's Michigan State Spartans. This drought is the longest of any coach in UK history. That along with his double digit losing seasons (which led to Tubby's critics nicknaming him "Ten-Loss Tubby") led to the pressure. On March 22, 2007, Smith resigned his position of UK head coach to accept the head coach position at the University of Minnesota.

Smith led the Wildcats to an overall record of 263–83 record for a winning percentage of .760. In his 10 seasons with Kentucky, he averaged over 26 wins per season.

-----------------------------------

Who would not want something like this for AU? 

:dunno:

:wedance:

unfortunately Auburn fans would love a coach with this resume... its not a terrible one... just not fresh enough if you ask me. His recruiting resources would be all over the place... which would be a huge plus for Auburn. I dont know, now that I think about it... he wouldnt be a bad hire at all... I still think Barbee is my current favorite though.

havent looked much into this basketball coaching search... perhaps I should catch up

We need to be recruiting Alabama and Georgia first and foremost. There is a tremendous amount of talent getting away. Recruiting resources all over the place don`t bother me but working what should be our primary area should come first. This might also help with attendance if our fans in the area knew a little about or could connect with the players. I`m not supporting any one coach at present. I just feel these are somethings to keep in mind. I`ll bet JJ doesn`t get around to asking my thoughts though.

Archived