why cant auburn recruit

wareaglefan444

We have paid for whatever "crime" we did anyway. It's all good. Let's get that AAU relationship back- have to or we can't be competitive.

We have paid for whatever "crime" we did anyway. It's all good. Let's get that AAU relationship back- have to or we can't be competitive.

I totally agree.  It was honorable to have the self imposed ban for awhile.  Now it's time to put the full juggernaut of AU behind getting a great coach and the best players!

:wedance:

The southeastern region has produced many notable hoops players, two of whom(from alabama) currently attend UK. The AAU connections and pipelines to colleges while at time unseemly, are a necessary evil at the level that AU aspires to. Hopefully the new coaching staff will work to have the ban rescinded. :wareagle:

"why cant auburn recruit....."

Because Mark Komona has been named "a representative of Auburn's athletic interests". While this was patently ridiculous, it makes Auburn working with AAU in North Alabama a very dangerous thing.

If the NCAA has removed that identification, they haven't yet informed either Komona or Auburn University.

"why cant auburn recruit....."

Because Mark Komona has been named "a representative of Auburn's athletic interests". While this was patently ridiculous, it makes Auburn working with AAU in North Alabama a very dangerous thing.

If the NCAA has removed that identification, they haven't yet informed either Komona or Auburn University.

The ban was lifted in 2006. Auburn has chosen not to go there. Maybe with a new coach in place that may change. The ban was only for two years.

The fact of life is this.  You just don't get a lot of quality high school basketball players if you don't deal with the AAU. That's just the way it is.

You are right; hope we get that behind us. It is AU`s decision to do so.

Because our head coach got his recruiting degree from Tubbs University.

When our O-line is mowing them down this year, remember that at least four, and possibly all five were Coach Tuberville's recruits. 4 & 5 * linemen. #1 O-line class in the nation in 2007.

If only our new BB coach can do as well as CTT did!

Under Armour deal also hurts us, because Under Armour is not prevalent in the AAU world.  I believe we even have restrictions in the Under Armour deal that hinders us dealing with organizations (including AAU teams) that distribute other brands (i.e. Nike).  I'm not sure how much this hurts us, but I have heard a lot about this from some folks in the basketball coaching world.

Recruiting AAU is more important than recruiting the high school teams, because you get to better evaluate talent and if you get a top recruit on board he can help the recruiting process with his AAU teammates. 

Under Armour deal also hurts us, because Under Armour is not prevalent in the AAU world.  I believe we even have restrictions in the Under Armour deal that hinders us dealing with organizations (including AAU teams) that distribute other brands (i.e. Nike).  I'm not sure how much this hurts us, but I have heard a lot about this from some folks in the basketball coaching world.

Recruiting AAU is more important than recruiting the high school teams, because you get to better evaluate talent and if you get a top recruit on board he can help the recruiting process with his AAU teammates.   

I think you are right on this. The UA deal precludes us from entering into some otherwise good situations. That deal was I think more about football but hurts in other sports.

From my understanding you just can't host AAU tournaments featuring teams sponsored by the competition. There's nothing preventing the school from recruiting whatever player regardless of team. Only the school itself and the NCAA can demand that. What school in their right mind would handicap themselves in that way. It doesn't do the school or the company any good by not being able to put the best players in your gear. We all know the best players are on AAU teams.

From my understanding you just can't host AAU tournaments featuring teams sponsored by the competition. There's nothing preventing the school from recruiting whatever player regardless of team. Only the school itself and the NCAA can demand that. What school in their right mind would handicap themselves in that way. It doesn't do the school or the company any good by not being able to put the best players in your gear. We all know the best players are on AAU teams.

Auburn has handicapped itself by not recruiting through the AAU teams. We were blocked by the NCAA for two years from recruiting through certain coaches at the very least and have on our on extended that. I`m hoping that changes with the new coach.

If we want to have a team worth putting on the floor, we will have to get in good with AAU again.

I think you are very right on that.

Archived