dodd says tubby "CLOSE" to signing

wareaglefan444

Despite all the naysayers(gee that's new :-\) I would too. I never new Auburn had so many basketball experts.

Everybody is an expert when making an anonymous post on a blog. Ha!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite all the naysayers(gee that's new :-\) I would too. I never new Auburn had so many basketball experts.

Everybody is an expert when making an anonymous post on a blog. Ha!

No, not so much. Over exaggerated sense of certainty maybe. Over exaggerated sense of reality, not at all.

I posted on TOS but I'll post here too.

Got two sources, both VERY prominent former players close to program.

Texted this morning asking about Tubby to AU.

According to them, take it for what its worth....Tubby isn't coming to AU.  They say that Chuck Person and Mike Anderson are both still in the mix.  That's all I could get out of them.

Take it for what its worth.  Could be wrong, but these guys would know more than 99% of anyone else regarding AU BBall that aren't named Jay Jacobs.

I don't know what has transpired today but there have definitely been serious talks with Tubby (directly or indirectly?).  I am hearing he has laid out a plan and is talking of trying to bring all 3 of his sons in to coach with him if he leaves his current gig.  I am not saying he is definitely coming or anything, just that there have been talks.  We'll have to wait and see how it all plays out. 

Watching Minnesota play right now, and Tuddy's working hard.  If we go with him, I would love to see a coach-in-waiting, like Person join him.

they just reported on the cbs telecast  that AU and smith are close to a deal, I didn't know but he has 17 straight 20-win seasons and i forgot he did win a title w/uk in 98 so if we get him, I'm good

I don't know what has transpired today but there have definitely been serious talks with Tubby.  I am hearing he has laid out a plan and is talking of trying to bring all 3 of his sons in to coach with him if he leaves his current gig.  I am not saying he is definitely coming or anything, just that there have been talks.  We'll have to wait and see how it all plays out. 

Maybe that`s why Minnesota is losing; because Tubby is on the phone with Auburn. It just doesn`t add up at this point though stranger things have happened for sure. I do know that there has been discussion about Person and his lack of a degree with the main point being he isn`t even close to having one. I`m glad I haven`t picked me a favorite so I shouldn`t be too upset whomever we get. Just ready to have it done so we can go back to talking recruiting and spring training.

WDE

Tubbs would be a great way to rebuild a program and open up that new building with class. He could bring great things to Auburn in the form of the roundball.

I've been following this closely and everyone I have talked to has told me that they think Auburn won't be spending mega bucks on a basketball coach. The Tubby Smith news certainly goes against that so this will be an interesting one to watch.

For those not sold on Tubby Smith, he's one of the classiest coaches out there. He knows how to get the job done and he has the track record to prove it. 17 straight 20 win seasons. 16 out of those 17 seasons he's made the NCAA tournament. 9 times to the sweet sixteen, and one championship. 20 win season in the Big 10 is no easy task. That's a good basketball conference. I can't imagine what he would be able to do in the SEC again.

I must be missing something about he can't recruit! How many sweet 16's and elite 8's did he go to at UK? I'm quite certain all those players weren't Pitino players. His record is wayyyyyy better than any coach we have had in our history! We will be better than we've EVER been with Tubby as our coach!

J/S do you think there is anything to this?

Not J/S, but ST said this morning on Facebook he was apparently the #1 candidate. I could get behind that. Tubby's a good coach.

What happened if true to " We aren`t going to talk to any coaches while they are still playing". guess we will see.

Not J/S, but ST said this morning on Facebook he was apparently the #1 candidate. I could get behind that. Tubby's a good coach.

What happened if true to " We aren`t going to talk to any coaches while they are still playing". guess we will see.

Well Tubby's finished now, so we will see

Well Tubby's finished now, so we will see

That we do know is true.

That's another good reason to think that the CBS writer is purely speculating.

I'll support any BB coach Auburn hires because that guy will be the Auburn coach. I don't think Tubby Smith is coming here, and if he eventually does I don't think it's even close to a done deal at this point. However, I must point out that I don't know any more than some distant sportswriter does.

I would imagine that if something changed in the circumstances that led to JJ talking to him early because it was best for the program JJ would do just that. For all we know Tubby could have come to him. The immense bull muffin tossing on this coaching hire has been interesting to watch. I'm still entertained by the all out public relations full court press that some people have taken on in the interest of "their" coaching choice. Some funny stuff. As if convincing people here would get a coach hired.  Hello!!!!! Reality calling, anybody home? Unbelieveable.

I'm not sold on Tubby. I hope like heck you guys are right and i'm wrong. Tubby won at KY with Pitino's players. If Tubby can't croot at KY he sure as H3!! cant do it at Auburn. Once again, I hope you guys are right.

My thoughts exactly.

He has done a lot more than just "win with Pitino's players". 15 NCAA appearances and several elite 8's that had nothing to do with Pitino. Look him up and check out his career and see what you get. Give the man some credit, because he didn't live up to Kentucky's "standards" doesn't mean he wouldn't be great at AU. He has won everywhere he has been. Not saying he is the best hire, but Tubby has had a great career and continues to do very well. He is still playing and we are at home as usual.

^^^^ Right on brotha!  I have always liked Tubby.

I'm not sold on Tubby. I hope like heck you guys are right and i'm wrong. Tubby won at KY with Pitino's players. If Tubby can't croot at KY he sure as H3!! cant do it at Auburn. Once again, I hope you guys are right.

My thoughts exactly.

Tubby won at UK with Pitino's players?  All 10 years?  What about at Tulsa?  Georgia?  Minnesota?  Pitino must be a super nice guy to go around recruiting for 17 years for Tubby.  17 years, 16 in the NCAA tournament. 

I would love to have him coaching our team.

:dunno:

:wedance:

He in no way reached the potential at Kentucky that he should have given the talent pool that he had access too because it was Kentucky.

Archived