dodd says tubby "CLOSE" to signing

wareaglefan444

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are growing indications that Auburn could be prepared to make a move for Minnesota’s Tubby Smith in its search for a new basketball coach...copied from a Goldberg Article.... :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Is it just me or does this remind anyone else of a similar situation involving Herbstreit/Miles/Michigan? If it were ever true, it definately won't happen now because the story (true or not) is tainted. Thanks a lot Mr. Dodd.

J/S do you think there is anything to this?

Not J/S, but ST said this morning on Facebook he was apparently the #1 candidate. I could get behind that. Tubby's a good coach.

Thanks Chill Mayor, enjoy your blog,good to see ya!!!!! Yeah I could get behind it too, he's put together a good year end run with the Gophers right now. This year with Purdue, OSU and Michigan State that's not a lineup you just walk through.

Tubby Smith is in my top 5 (along with Barbee, Mitchell, Drew, and Alford) that I would love to see as bb coach at AU. I would be happy with any of these hires for sure. What a great hire this would be for us, hope it's true!

I would be ecstatic if we got Tubby Smith!  It would certainly show the rest of the SEC how serious AU is about basketball if we were able to get him.  I also think it would be definitely look good on JJ getting him to come coach AU.

Tubby and Anderson are on my wish list.  The other names that have been mentioned, (not counting Person..I really don't believe he is ready to head up an SEC team),  are all ok, but those two would be HRs.

:happydance:

:wedance:

Jacobs said he was gonna pay the next coach a "competitive" salary compared to other SEC basketball head coaches. Tubby currently makes 1.8 million escalating to 2 million over the next few years. Here is the current SEC pay according to Jay G. Tate.

John Calipari (UK) -- $3.9 million

William "Billy" Donovan (Florida) -- $3.5 million

Bruce Pearl (Tennessee) -- $2.4 million

Anthony Grant (Alabama) -- $1.8 million

Mark Fox (Georgia) -- $1.3 million

Trent Johnson (LSU) -- $1.2 million

Rick Stansbury (MSU) -- $1.2 million

Darrin Horn (S. Carolina) -- $1.1 million

Kevin Stallings (Vanderbilt) -- approximately $1 million

Andy Kennedy (Mississippi) $800,000

John Pelphrey (Arkansas) $795,000

Will JJ make an offer sweet enough to lure Tubby (or another proven winner) to AU, or do we go the cheaper "up and coming" route? You know going in that it is gonna take much more than what we were paying Lebo to bring in a proven guy.

That salt grain just grew. I have a question if Tubby makes 1.75 million now and CGC makes 2.1 million. For once in the history that I know of does the Auburn Basketball coach make more than the football coach? Anyway Tubby would be a great coach to build a basketball platform at Auburn that would carry on past his retirement.

:wareagle:

I'm not sold on Tubby. I hope like heck you guys are right and i'm wrong. Tubby won at KY with Pitino's players. If Tubby can't croot at KY he sure as H3!! cant do it at Auburn. Once again, I hope you guys are right.

Tubby would be a nice choice for sure. I would support this and would actually start back keeping up with, and enjoying Auburn Basketball again. When Cliff Ellis was fired, I basically gave up on Basketball and became a big fan of Auburn's swimming program.  I just hope we hire a very proven coach that can come in and win year 2 and start a long string of post season play. If he wins big in year 1, I would love this even more.  However, I doubt that any coach in the nation could come in and win big at Auburn in year 1. Year 2 could rough as well, but a proven coach could win in year 2.

I'm not sold on Tubby. I hope like heck you guys are right and i'm wrong. Tubby won at KY with Pitino's players. If Tubby can't croot at KY he sure as H3!! cant do it at Auburn. Once again, I hope you guys are right.

My thoughts exactly.

I was upset when I first read about this, but the more I think logically about it, the more I like the idea.

He has posted 17 straight 20+ win seasons at 4 different schools...not just UK.

He has coached an Olympic "Dream Team"

He resurrected UGA and Minnesota from the basement of their respective leagues in just two years time at each.

I would still like to see a younger guy with energy for recruiting and selling the program to the fan base, but his track record really does speak for itself.

My thoughts exactly.

Tubby won at UK with Pitino's players?  All 10 years?  What about at Tulsa?  Georgia?  Minnesota?  Pitino must be a super nice guy to go around recruiting for 17 years for Tubby.  17 years, 16 in the NCAA tournament. 

I would love to have him coaching our team.

:dunno:

:wedance:

My thoughts exactly.

He has done a lot more than just "win with Pitino's players". 15 NCAA appearances and several elite 8's that had nothing to do with Pitino. Look him up and check out his career and see what you get. Give the man some credit, because he didn't live up to Kentucky's "standards" doesn't mean he wouldn't be great at AU. He has won everywhere he has been. Not saying he is the best hire, but Tubby has had a great career and continues to do very well. He is still playing and we are at home as usual.

CBSSports.com's Dennis Dodd, citing an unnamed source, wrote this morning that Auburn is "close to hiring" Smith, though he added, "It could be nothing."

Uh, this sounds like something my 6 year old would say. Does this make any sense to anyone? AU is close to signing Tubby, but.....they might not be as well. Why even write this? This is jouralism? Seriously.

Not J/S, but ST said this morning on Facebook he was apparently the #1 candidate. I could get behind that. Tubby's a good coach.

This^^^^^ why we are taken it seriously.

I have heard there is definitely something to it.  They are making a push.  We'll see how it pans out.  I, for one, would love it.

CBSSports.com's Dennis Dodd, citing an unnamed source, wrote this morning that Auburn is "close to hiring" Smith, though he added, "It could be nothing."

Uh, this sounds like something my 6 year old would say. Does this make any sense to anyone? AU is close to signing Tubby, but.....they might not be as well. Why even write this? This is jouralism? Seriously.

I could be named the King of England later today...or I might be eating at the local DQ instead. 

Stay tuned.

Archived