Smith Says He'll Return To Minnesota

beaver

MILWAUKEE – Minnesota coach Tubby Smith said Friday he intends to be back with the Gophers next season, refuting a Sportsline.com report that claimed he was headed to fill the head coaching vacancy at Auburn.

“That’s just talk,” Smith said after Minnesota’s 65-54 loss to Xavier in a first-round West Regional game. “I’m very pleased with what we’ve accomplished here. I’m very pleased with where we are in the program. I’m looking forward to coming back to Minnesota.”

----------------------------

I watched the press conference however and he seemed to just be dodging the question

He has to say this at this point because he hasn't asked his AD for permission to speak with AU nor has AU asked Minn for permission to speak with him. That would be a major violation of his contract and very unethical on our part to. How many times do coaches deny reports of them taking another job and board the plane the next day. Not surprised to hear him say it.

Tubby is just dodging right now. Nothing is official so there are a lot of ways to get around lying without telling the truth.A lot of credible sources say he will be our Coach so until the search is over i believe them.

I really want barbee, smith would be good as long as its not anderson, he's on my bad side and just doesn't sit well with me

why is that?  hes been to the tourney 5 of the last 8 years with UAB and mizzou

I dunno he just seems sneaky....he's richardson the second, I mean he basically said he was too good for AU by wanting the job before he gets interviewed? :dunno: Not even calipari can do that. I dunno....if he became AU'S coach fine, but after he left uab I kinda lost interest, and I did see him when he visited Leeds while I played in high school and wasn't friendly. I actually liked gotfried who was coaching the turds at the time more than him after that, he was nice.

JMO though.... :-\

I would be disappointed in Tubby Smith if he had said he was interested in the AU job.  He had more important things on his mind today.  Like playing in the NCAA tournament!  Would you want a coach that was more interested in the next coaching job, than trying to win in the tournament?  If he does it to the last team, he'll do it to us!  Tubby is a classy guy (from what I've seen anyway).  JJ doesn't backdoor other schools either.  We probably gaged interest and the interest (through the agent) was there.  Next we contact Minnesotta and setup an interview.  He would be an excellent hire in my opinion.  Anderson would also.  Tubby brings a proven track record.  He has gone to the tourney 17 straight years with multiple teams.  He wins at every school he goes to (unlike Spurrier in football).  I think he could put some of the best AU teams we've ever seen together.  If he brings any or all of his sons (I think that's what he would like to do) we would be even better.  Either way I like the direction AU bball is going.  JJ has said he is not afraid to shell out some dough either (I guess not with a $90 million stadium).

:wareagle:

Man, he is ancient - almost 60.  I just don't see getting someone we will need to replace in a few years even if by some miracle he is successful.  I prefer a younger coach that has a chance to be here for ten years or more if he does well.

Man, he is ancient - almost 60.  I just don't see getting someone we will need to replace in a few years even if by some miracle he is successful.  I prefer a younger coach that has a chance to be here for ten years or more if he does well.

Almost 60?   Watch it there, some could be offended.    :thumbsup:

I personally would rather have Mike Anderson from Missouri than Tubby.

We can't go wrong with either one. I just don't want some mid major coach that JJ THINKS is going to get the job done. No.

I think we could do a lot better, but also think we could do a lot worse. We would be yup and down with Smith, but would at least make the tournament from time to time. Personally I would be a bit disappointed as I think we could get a younger more consistent coach...

Archived