Smith Says He'll Return To Minnesota

beaver

I don't see how you can be any more consistant than Tubby Smith.If Lebo had 20+win seasons across the board and took us to the post season every year he would still have his job.How you can complain about landing Tubby Smith I will never know?

I don't see how you can be any more consistant than Tubby Smith.If Lebo had 20+win seasons across the board and took us to the post season every year he would still have his job.How you can complain about landing Tubby Smith I will never know?

He is consistent and we would be getting that. Personally, I think there are but a few coaches that could move Auburn into elite status within 5 years and do not see him as one. He would get us a consistent 20-9 record and squeeze into the tournament most years only to lose in the first or second round. If what Minnesota is doing is enough of an improvement over the current situation then he is the man because make no mistake, that is what Auburn would do under him for 5-10 years until he retires. If you want a chance at national prominence in 5 years or so get someone a bit younger Like Drew Or Person, even Barbee. These guys have much more long term potential unless we just want to be better, not among the best... 

I think the problem is that the younger guys could be one and done and do more harm than good at the first sign of success. Using Auburn as a stepping stone. You get a guy that is old enough to retire here and has had great success everywhere he has been, you build auburn into a perennial contender that an great young guy would stay with eventually. Most people don't understand that Auburn needs a decade of huge success for anyone to put us in the same league with semi-successful teams (Missouri, Washington, Kstate, etc.).

I think the problem is that the younger guys could be one and done and do more harm than good at the first sign of success. Using Auburn as a stepping stone. You get a guy that is old enough to retire here and has had great success everywhere he has been, you build auburn into a perennial contender that an great young guy would stay with eventually. Most people don't understand that Auburn needs a decade of huge success for anyone to put us in the same league with semi-successful teams (Missouri, Washington, Kstate, etc.).

I don't know. I think if you pay the right guy the right amount of money with built in incentives in the new arena he would stick around. There are no guarantees with anyone. What's to keep Tubby Smith from bolting for a bigger job should one arise in a few years. As far as being on the level of the teams that you mentioned I think the right man in the new arena will create incredible enthusiasm in Auburn basketball and can take it to where it has never been...

I only partly agree, but only 10% if you look at those teams they all had a MAJOR SUPERSTAR PLAYER that was a national name. EX. mizzou - kareem rush,  wash. brandon roy, k-state - michael beaseley, even ohio st. w/ oden and conley jr.

Which is why I believe barbee is the guy. I think he could have gotten a demarcus cousins or john wall (see calipari connection) that makes AU a national scale team. Remember great players like to play with great players. The new coach should be able to do that. :we:

Archived