Not drinking the Kool-Aid

AUnCullman

Does anybody else feel this way or am I by myself on this?  Sorry guys but I am not really excited about Barbee.  Evan after reading Sportstalk's article, I still dont have a great feeling about this.  1.5 for a coach with 4 years of experience in Conference USA?  Tournament experience?  Half of which is in the NIT.  Great recruiter?  Wasn't this when he was sitting under Calipari?  I am sorry but I am just not thrilled about this hire.  I was looking for a homerun but feel like we got a single.  New Arena and a mid level coach kind of like renting a limo for an ugly fat girl.  Well this may not be that bad, but you get my point.

Let's wait and see who he get's on his staff before making any judgments. I understand what you are saying though. He has some talent coming in and a new arena to recruit with, so he's got that going for him, which is nice.

Since Barbee was one of my favorites from the start, I like the hire. If we hadn't paid in the neighborhood of 1.5 mill, others (Depaul for one) were waiting in line to do so.

I think he's a great addition. Sure he could tank, but he could also be a real find. I'm expecting the latter.

Does anybody else feel this way or am I by myself on this?  Sorry guys but I am not really excited about Barbee.  Evan after reading Sportstalk's article, I still dont have a great feeling about this.  1.5 for a coach with 4 years of experience in Conference USA?  Tournament experience?  Half of which is in the NIT.  Great recruiter?  Wasn't this when he was sitting under Calipari?  I am sorry but I am just not thrilled about this hire.  I was looking for a homerun but feel like we got a single.  New Arena and a mid level coach kind of like renting a limo for an ugly fat girl.  Well this may not be that bad, but you get my point.

After you read a statement I'm about to post here shortly your mind will change. Barbee fits exactly what Auburn needs and he is a recruiting guru.

After you read a statement I'm about to post here shortly your mind will change. Barbee fits exactly what Auburn needs and he is a recruiting guru.

Agrred; like him more after reading several articles.

Of course you are going to have some people that don't like the hire. It is all opinion based. Which is fine. Who were we really expecting to get? Tubby, Anderson, Davis, or Mitchell? All of those choices are fine, but are they the coaches that we would really hit homeruns with? I mean I really would have liked to get Tubby, but I don't know that he would have been any better than Barbee. Besides the fact that he is on the bottom side of the downhill slope to retirement. After reading his resume I'm very very impressed. And as far as Conference USA goes, I hate to break it to you, but I think top to bottom it's a much better conference than the SEC and that's not just this year, that's any year. So you can't hold that against him.

Im with ya Cullman.  We seem to be repeating the same mistakes and expecting the outcome to be different.  What is it they call that again.

I think its a wonderful hire.

Go and take a look at UTEP's roster, this is not your typical successful coach from a smaller conference.  He should be able to have AU's roster looking like that in a year or two.  This guy is the right fit for AU.  I am very excited about the basketball program.  Check my previous posts, this is the guy I have wanted all along.  It is all about fit and this hire is perfect.

It's a great hire. He's a huge step in the right direction and has nothing in common with our recent past. Some people wouldn't be happy if they were handed a gold brick. Heads up,you just got one.

We needed someone who is not afraid to come in and bust @$$ (much like the football team did). And although I loved all the Tubby talk, I wasn't really sure he (nor any of the other "bigger names") was ready or willing to come in here and go to work b/c that is what we need. Seems like that is what we got

I agree telling, if this guy could recruit and bring in great players at UTEP, he can do it at Auburn. Especially with the new facilities. Auburn Basketball is about to change for the better big time. Welcome to the family Coach.

We needed someone who is not afraid to come in and bust @$$ (much like the football team did). And although I loved all the Tubby talk, I wasn't really sure he (nor any of the other "bigger names") was ready or willing to come in here and go to work b/c that is what we need. Seems like that is what we got

I totally agree. Barbee will be here sometime today to get started then he has other plans for the rest of the weekend but he should be here in full force next week to put his stamp on Auburn. I have heard from several people close to Barbee that he will be bringing at least one if not two big time recruits in this year.

I totally agree. Barbee will be here sometime today to get started then he has other plans for the rest of the weekend but he should be here in full force next week to put his stamp on Auburn. I have heard from several people close to Barbee that he will be bringing at least one if not two big time recruits in this year.

That would be awesome.

"We needed someone who is not afraid to come in and bust @$$"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I was the man for the job because I'm not afraid to do that anywhere I'm at.  Just ask ST or Domi.

Why don't you at least wait until he loses his first game to get in a funk? He's gonna need our support to be successful. Guess we should have hired Calipari...like he's wanting to leave KY!

:timeout:

I'm telling you, go look at UTEP's roster and imagine that was our roster, we would all be excited to have that team on the floor.  AU has more resources and with the new arena and (judging by the salary being paid to Barbee) this administration's commitment to basketball, he should be able to put together an even better squad.  I'm getting more and more pumped about this hire.

Great news!!

:wedance:

The kool aid tastes great to me too. ST, please... please give us some more to sip on. Even if it is only speculation at this point, which recruits might you be referring to?

In the research Ive done on Barbee, I DEFINETLY DRINKING THE COOL-AID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WDE

Archived