Not drinking the Kool-Aid

AUnCullman

I'm lovin it.wait that's Mcdonalds.Sorry but I'm drunk off this kool aid.Conference USA is a great bball conference and if Barbee is bringing two big time recruits with him he's already recruiting well at Auburn.I'm so pumped up right now about this hire and I know he will get the job done.Barbee for Heisman!!!lol

I was actually handicapping the sweet 16 tonight and ran across the announcement at CBS Sportsline about the Barbee hire. They allow comments and here is what an Iowa fan said.

March 25, 2010 1:59 pm

Score: 101

Good Hire by Auburn

I only wish Iowa would have made a run at Barbee for their opening.  He is exactly what a down program needs.. and uptempo coach that can successfully recruit and build from the bottom up.  Even better to know Gary Barta didnt even make the phone call to Bar.

I think we have to remember who we are.  When you say Auburn basketball, the world does not quiver.  This is like Mississippi State hiring .....a good coach in football.  I think JJ hit a home-run and we will be in the big dance next year.  The new arena will be packed and we are off to the races.  JJ is starting to look like a heck of an athletic director.  Have faith!

I think we have to remember who we are.   When you say Auburn basketball, the world does not quiver.  This is like Mississippi State hiring .....a good coach in football.  I think JJ hit a home-run and we will be in the big dance next year.  The new arena will be packed and we are off to the races.  JJ is starting to look like a heck of an athletic director.  Have faith!

Having a better home record is always helpful when trying to get in the NCAA tourney... just see Vanderbilt... they are very tough at home. It helps propel their record, and then all they have to do is win a few road games which gives them a chance if the resume is impressive.

It's important to keep in mind that well proven coaches with multiple NCAA appearances and 20 win seasons aren't bending over backwards to coach at Auburn. For what it's worth, they aren't bending over backward to coach at any school in the SEC that's not named Vanderbilt or Kentucky.

Barbee was a good hire. He was affordable. Although his track record as a head coach is short, it's a proven record. He's well connected to recruiting across the country and brought in classes better than every other school in conference USA that's not named Memphis. He did it with average facilities and below average funds.

He has an electric personality and a tireless work ethic. His players love to play for him and his offense is exciting to watch. Add Barbee to our new, top of the line facilities and beautiful campus and you are going to see a winning team sooner than later.

I think as fans we need to show Barbee that we are not just a football school. We can be a typical 2,3,4, etc. sport team a Texas, UNC, LSU, OKLA. Our football is on the rise, baseball looks pretty solid, swimming is excellent and I think Auburn has just taken its first steps towards a soon successful program.

I agree that the coaching hire was brilliant. Barbee is the kind of guy that's an excellent coach, cares about his athletes, and he's a family man with good values. HOWEVER, we have to give him some time to do his magic. Auburn only has one returning starter next year, and with a new coaching staff and new players it'll be hard at first. But once Barbee's philosophies sink in, and he gets his players in we'll be hard to beat.

:we::wareagle::wedance::party:

I agree with you, but learning philosophies in basketball and learning philosophies in football are two completely different things. I think it will be fairly easy for our current and new players to adapt.

Does anybody else feel this way or am I by myself on this?  Sorry guys but I am not really excited about Barbee.  Evan after reading Sportstalk's article, I still dont have a great feeling about this.  1.5 for a coach with 4 years of experience in Conference USA?  Tournament experience?  Half of which is in the NIT.  Great recruiter?  Wasn't this when he was sitting under Calipari?  I am sorry but I am just not thrilled about this hire.  I was looking for a homerun but feel like we got a single.  New Arena and a mid level coach kind of like renting a limo for an ugly fat girl.  Well this may not be that bad, but you get my point.

Sorry bro...In my opinion Barbee is an excellent hire and we're lucky to have him. He's got a great shot at being the most successful coach we've ever had. He's got all the support in the world and more dedication to basketball since any other time. I think you'll be pleased and be eating these words before long.

I have heard from several people close to Barbee that he will be bringing at least one if not two big time recruits in this year.

That's good news if it turns out to be true but I thought our class was full. Who are we losing to make room for the new recruits?

I have heard from several people close to Barbee that he will be bringing at least one if not two big time recruits in this year.

That's good news if it turns out to be true but I thought our class was full. Who are we losing to make room for the new recruits?

I believe ST will absoultely confirm who they are when the time is right... it could be a few days before this surfaces... or maybe even longer.

I was about 7 out of 10 earlier today. After the press conference that number has gone up. I can see why he has been successful in recruiting. Finally a little excitement around Auburn basketball.

It's important to keep in mind that well proven coaches with multiple NCAA appearances and 20 win seasons aren't bending over backwards to coach at Auburn. For what it's worth, they aren't bending over backward to coach at any school in the SEC that's not named Vanderbilt or Kentucky.

Barbee was a good hire. He was affordable. Although his track record as a head coach is short, it's a proven record. He's well connected to recruiting across the country and brought in classes better than every other school in conference USA that's not named Memphis. He did it with average facilities and below average funds.

He has an electric personality and a tireless work ethic. His players love to play for him and his offense is exciting to watch. Add Barbee to our new, top of the line facilities and beautiful campus and you are going to see a winning team sooner than later.

_______----------nice Jonsey...WELL SAID!!!!!!!!------------------________________  :party:

Anyone who has been reading this board in the last week and a half knows that I have been one of the more vocal people decrying that Barbee was nothing more than any of the other mid major candidates for the job.  My feelings were tainted by my desire to have a Tubby or Anderson come in to coach AU.  Looking back and doing some research, I see now that there was no way we were going to get either of them.  AU just held nothing for them that they did not already have.  Looking closer into Barbee after the hire, I can honestly say I am not only drinking the Kool-aid, but I am eating the tiger shaped cookies on the plate too.  I am sold on this guy.  I like his style of offense/defense, I like how he is a great recruiter, and I like how he will promote AU BB.  I can see AU rising to the top of not just the SEC, but basketball in general.  I see a return where in March we are not picking a team we kind of like in the NCAA tournament, but we are excited for who AU drew in their bracket!  For the first time in 5 years I am truly excited about the upcoming BB season.  I can not wait for the new season to begin!  I will definitely give Coach Barbee time to get his players and his system in place.  The first year will be a painful one I am sure, but not like it has been the last few years, it will be like the previous FB season.  Where you knew if the Coaches had what they needed, we would have dominated everyone, and then sit back as they bring in top recruits in state and out of state.

I am truly excited!  Am I drinking the Kool-aid?  Not only am I drinking it, I am heading to the store to pick up more packets and sugar to make more so my AU friends still on the fence can enjoy what I am seeing in the new coach and the new day in AU basketball!!

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!

:wedance:

Anyone who has been reading this board in the last week and a half knows that I have been one of the more vocal people decrying that Barbee was nothing more than any of the other mid major candidates for the job.  My feelings were tainted by my desire to have a Tubby or Anderson come in to coach AU.  Looking back and doing some research, I see now that there was no way we were going to get either of them.  AU just held nothing for them that they did not already have.   Looking closer into Barbee after the hire, I can honestly say I am not only drinking the Kool-aid, but I am eating the tiger shaped cookies on the plate too.  I am sold on this guy.   I like his style of offense/defense, I like how he is a great recruiter, and I like how he will promote AU BB.   I can see AU rising to the top of not just the SEC, but basketball in general.  I see a return where in March we are not picking a team we kind of like in the NCAA tournament, but we are excited for who AU drew in their bracket!  For the first time in 5 years I am truly excited about the upcoming BB season.   I can not wait for the new season to begin!   I will definitely give Coach Barbee time to get his players and his system in place.  The first year will be a painful one I am sure, but not like it has been the last few years, it will be like the previous FB season.  Where you knew if the Coaches had what they needed, we would have dominated everyone, and then sit back as they bring in top recruits in state and out of state.

I am truly excited!  Am I drinking the Kool-aid?  Not only am I drinking it, I am heading to the store to pick up more packets and sugar to make more so my AU friends still on the fence can enjoy what I am seeing in the new coach and the new day in AU basketball!!

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!

:wedance:

:thumbsup::wedance::party:

I feel after researching what Barbee has accomplished as a player, Assistant and Head coach is a completely great match for AU and Him. I think his style of offense will be exciting and generates excitement and fans. His recruiting skills are proven and the respect he garners from many in the BB world is growing. USA Conf is great BB and to see the every year improvement with the Tourney bid is what you look for from a coachbuilding a program.

Mark my words there will come a day we are hopeful Barbee will remain with AU and not leave to a more BB rich program. Yes he will need to prove himself to some, but I will show him the same respect and support I offer all of our coaches. What an exciting time for Auburn BB to have a new arena and facilities, and a new exciting coach hungry to build a winner. War Eagle Barbee!!!!

Okay guys, I am with you.  I must say it is great to have a buzz about our bball program again.  I have missed it as well.  After reading the release from UTEP that AUStalk posted it does make me feel better.  One thing I will say, even though I may not be drinking the Kool-Aid right now, I am a strong supporter of all things Auburn.  Even in the good, the bad and the ugly times, I always will be.  I guess this is just from being tired of being at the bottom most years since the 2000 season.  2008 was good, winning alot of games, but for the past few years, it has been pretty hard to watch us play bball.  I cannot wait for A-Day and to see the Arena.  I am sure it will light a fire in all of us.

WAR EAGLE from Cullman!  Lets continue to dominate this state in bball and build towards dominating the SEC in the near future.

:wareagle:

_______----------nice Jonsey...WELL SAID!!!!!!!!------------------________________  :party:

Second this emotion. Couldn't have said it better myself Jonesy. War Eagle!

I have to agree with I am excited about the TB hire. Can't wait for the season to get started. And it's been several years since I was anxious for AU's basketball season to get started.

:wedance::party::believe::wedance::party::believe::wedance::party::believe:

Archived