Peace at an all time high?

DKW 86

Link

War Making Headlines, but Peace Breaks Out

Sun Aug 29, 1:55 PM ET

By CHARLES J. HANLEY, AP Special Correspondent

The chilling sights and sounds of war fill newspapers and television screens worldwide, but war itself is in decline, peace researchers report.

In fact, the number killed in battle has fallen to its lowest point in the post-World War II period, dipping below 20,000 a year by one measure. Peacemaking missions, meantime, are growing in number.

"International engagement is blossoming," said American scholar Monty G. Marshall. "There's been an enormous amount of activity to try to end these conflicts."

For months the battle reports and casualty tolls from Iraq (news - web sites) and Afghanistan (news - web sites) have put war in the headlines, but Swedish and Canadian non-governmental groups tracking armed conflict globally find a general decline in numbers from peaks in the 1990s.

The authoritative Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, in a 2004 Yearbook report obtained by The Associated Press in advance of publication, says 19 major armed conflicts were under way worldwide in 2003, a sharp drop from 33 wars counted in 1991.

The Canadian organization Project Ploughshares, using broader criteria to define armed conflict, says in its new annual report that the number of conflicts declined to 36 in 2003, from a peak of 44 in 1995.

The Stockholm institute counts continuing wars that have produced 1,000 or more battle-related deaths in any single year. Project Ploughshares counts any armed conflict that produces 1,000 such deaths cumulatively.

The Stockholm report, to be released in September, notes three wars ended as of 2003 — in Angola, Rwanda and Somalia — and a fourth, the separatist war in India's Assam state, was dropped from the "major" category after casualties were recalculated.

It lists three new wars in 2003 — in Liberia (news - web sites) and in Sudan's western region of Darfur, along with the U.S.-British invasion of Iraq. These joined such long-running conflicts as the Kashmiri insurgency in India, the leftist guerrilla war in Colombia, and the separatist war in Russia's Chechnya (news - web sites) region.

Other major armed conflicts listed by the Stockholm researchers were in Algeria, Burundi, Peru, Indonesia's Aceh province, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Israel, and Turkey. Their list also includes the U.S.-al-Qaida war, mainly in Afghanistan, the unresolved India-Pakistan conflict, and two insurgencies in the Philippines.

"Not only are the numbers declining, but the intensity" — the bloodshed in each conflict — "is declining," said Marshall, founder of a University of Maryland program studying political violence.

Nice! Tell the libbies to put that in the peace pipe and smoke it! Now when Bush gets re-elected and finishes off the terrorists, Miss America will get her wish and we might have world peace. Except for Israel and Palestine of course.

I hate the fact I get all these good, positive world news updates from this message board and not the TV (or other mass media).

Nice! Tell the libbies to put that in the peace pipe and smoke it! Now when Bush gets re-elected and finishes off the terrorists, Miss America will get her wish and we might have world peace. Except for Israel and Palestine of course.

I hate the fact I get all these good, positive world news updates from this message board and not the TV (or other mass media).

You guys are hilarious, not that you mean to be.

If you read the article, you'll notice Bush was behind one of the notable exceptions listed:

It lists three new wars in 2003 — in Liberia (news - web sites) and in Sudan's western region of Darfur, along with the U.S.-British invasion of Iraq. These joined such long-running conflicts as the Kashmiri insurgency in India, the leftist guerrilla war in Colombia, and the separatist war in Russia's Chechnya (news - web sites) region.

"U.S.-British"-- not fooled by the "coaltion" here. Just curious, which of those peace outbreaks listed do ya'll credit Bush with? His policy flies in the face of the types of efforts noted here. Google Project Plowshares and George Bush sometime--they're not fans.

Nice!  Tell the libbies to put that in the peace pipe and smoke it!  Now when Bush gets re-elected and finishes off the terrorists, Miss America will get her wish and we might have world peace.  Except for Israel and Palestine of course.

If you read the article, you'll notice Bush was behind one of the notable exceptions listed:

"U.S.-British"-- not fooled by the "coaltion" here. Just curious, which of those peace outbreaks listed do ya'll credit Bush with? His policy flies in the face of the types of efforts noted here. Google Project Plowshares and George Bush sometime--they're not fans.

Hey...you're infringing on their free speech!!! Why do you HATE America, TexasTiger??? :D

Nice!  Tell the libbies to put that in the peace pipe and smoke it!  Now when Bush gets re-elected and finishes off the terrorists, Miss America will get her wish and we might have world peace.  Except for Israel and Palestine of course.

Plowshares and Bush? Makes the story that much more a better read.

Bush and his straightforward approach may be setting a whole new level of peace throughout the world. THe discerning eye would have caught the fact that all the Violence and War "Highs" were during the Clinton Administration, around 95 and 96. What was Bill Clinton doing that was working so bad?

Plowshares and Bush? Makes the story that much more a better read.

Bush and his straightforward approach may be setting a whole new level of peace throughout the world. THe discerning eye would have caught the fact that all the Violence and War "Highs" were during the Clinton Administration, around 95 and 96. What was Bill Clinton doing that was working so bad?

Elaborate on your theory. I'm listening.

No, I read it, but with the understanding that Bush is ridding those lands of terrorists and warmongers.

Hey, Neville Chamberlain, maybe negotiating with a terrorist only gives him more time to conduct terror operations. Go snuff him out and he wont be a bother.

No, I read it, but with the understanding that Bush is ridding those lands of terrorists and warmongers.

You don't follow current events, do you? ;)

Hey, Neville Chamberlain, maybe negotiating with a terrorist only gives him more time to conduct terror operations. Go snuff him out and he wont be a bother.

You've got nothing, so I knew you would immediately try the tactic of ascribing an argument to me I'd never made. History lesson: Your dear Ronald Reagan remains the only American President to negotiate with terrorists, unless Bush is now doing it with Iran:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/...shallrozen.html

Reagan also won the Cold War and kept Communism out of Central and South America. ;) Incase you forgot.

Archived