2016 4* RB Antonio Williams (Ohio State commit)

ellitor

Back to the OP

This kid plays in a weak 2A conference where teams routinely put up 50-70 points against each other and the stats are ridiculous...one guy ran for 470 yards in a single game a couple weeks ago.

Just sayin' that the films and stats are not much of a reference and I have to wonder if he is really SEC material.

JMO but his other offers probably indicate he is a good risk and can get into the more academic schools.

AU, UGA, UF, SCar, & UK staffs all disagree with you as they are SEC schools that have offered AW. Point is don't assume a kid will be a bust just because he is dominating bad competition. Monty Adams played in a very weak region out of HS and we did not question him much even knowing he was playing weak competition. Give AW the same consideration.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. Or at least LSU is the worst team in the West- they just might not finish that way record-wise b/c of differences in their SECE opponents. LSU plays UF (already won) and UK. Arky gets UGA and Mizzoo. Not sure at this point who's worse on that side of the aisle, but we know UF is very, very bad.

I don't think the East imbalance will matter. I have Arky winning 3 SEC games by beating LSU, Mizzou, and 1 maybe 2 upsets of UGA, Ole Miss, or Mss St. The more I think about it the more i'm convince Arky will spoil Miss St or Ole Miss specifically. As for LSU I have them going 2-6 with this weekend against UK being their last SEC win of the season. At worst I have Arky finishing 2-6 winning the tie breaker for 6th in the West by beating LSU at home.

Things can certainly change E, but Arky was stomped yesterday by UGA. The final score was not an indicator of how they got beat. They will have to rebound bigtime to get the 3 wins you are talking about. Also, it is crazy how things can turn around week to week. LSU looked very good yesterday.

I said 2 minimum for Arky and I'm sticking with it. and still including beating LSU at home. As for LSU looking goos yesterday, it was against KenSUCKy. That's nothing to notate nor brag about.

Back to the OP

This kid plays in a weak 2A conference where teams routinely put up 50-70 points against each other and the stats are ridiculous...one guy ran for 470 yards in a single game a couple weeks ago.

Just sayin' that the films and stats are not much of a reference and I have to wonder if he is really SEC material.

JMO but his other offers probably indicate he is a good risk and can get into the more academic schools.

AU, UGA, UF, SCar, & UK staffs all disagree with you as they are SEC schools that have offered AW. Point is don't assume a kid will be a bust just because he is dominating bad competition. Monty Adams played in a very weak region out of HS and we did not question him much even knowing he was playing weak competition. Give AW the same consideration.

In the 2012 class there was a runningback from a 2A HS that put up those same kinds of numbers against that competition. Some kid by the name of Gurley? I said the same thing about Chubb last year and he's proved me way wrong. Point is, don't let HS comp fool you if a kid can play he can play.

Back to the OP

In the 2012 class there was a runningback from a 2A HS that put up those same kinds of numbers against that competition. Some kid by the name of Gurley? I said the same thing about Chubb last year and he's proved me way wrong. Point is, don't let HS comp fool you if a kid can play he can play.

good point!

Back to the OP

Plus you can never tell a kids heart or passion until they get on campus. That is why some 5 star players fail and 3 star players succeed.

Back to the OP

Plus you can never tell a kids heart or passion until they get on campus. That is why some 5 star players fail and 3 star players succeed.

I live in NC and keep up with HS ball pretty well. Gurley was a legend in NC during his HS years...a top player in the state....track star as well. There was never much doubt about him.

Right now, this kid is is not on anybody's top 30 in North Carolina..he's a big kid playing in a small conference and gets big yards against weak teams and has been held to about 50 in two games against decent teams. I'm just sayin' that he is a huge reach as to being SEC material. If the coaches want to sign him, that's up to Gus...but don't let the stats and films fool you.

Back to the OP

I live in NC and keep up with HS ball pretty well. Gurley was a legend in NC during his HS years...a top player in the state....track star as well. There was never much doubt about him.

Right now, this kid is is not on anybody's top 30 in North Carolina..he's a big kid playing in a small conference and gets big yards against weak teams and has been held to about 50 in two games against decent teams. I'm just sayin' that he is a huge reach as to being SEC material. If the coaches want to sign him, that's up to Gus...but don't let the stats and films fool you.

64, not trying to argue, but I looked up recruiting service information on Antonio Williams.

Per 247 - He is the number 3 recruit in the 2016 class in NC

Per Scout - He is the 102 recruit in the country and the number 11 RB in the country. Also, Scout said Bama recently sent him 93 recruiting letters.

Per Rivals - He is the number 4 recruit in NC, and the number 8 RB in the class and number 157 of Rivals250 for the class of 2016.

He has offers from almost all the big programs. Most people seem to like him a lot.

Back to the OP

64, not trying to argue, but I looked up recruiting service information on Antonio Williams.

Per 247 - He is the number 3 recruit in the 2016 class in NC

Per Scout - He is the 102 recruit in the country and the number 11 RB in the country. Also, Scout said Bama recently sent him 93 recruiting letters.

Per Rivals - He is the number 4 recruit in NC, and the number 8 RB in the class and number 157 of Rivals250 for the class of 2016.

He has offers from almost all the big programs. Most people seem to like him a lot.

Nowadays a lot of kids from smaller or weaker programs go to camps where they compete against kids from the more well known programs. This allows coaches to base it on film against weaker competition, plus measurables, plus having seen them at camps where they can compare them to other well known athletes.

I don't know if he has been to camps but based on the ratings above I would bet he has.

Nowadays a lot of kids from smaller or weaker programs go to camps where they compete against kids from the more well known programs. This allows coaches to base it on film against weaker competition, plus measurables, plus having seen them at camps where they can compare them to other well known athletes.

I don't know if he has been to camps but based on the ratings above I would bet he has.

He has and camped at AU this Summer. He came down to hang out. He was not planning to participate in the AU camp but he really wanted the offer from AU so he decided to play. He did very well by all reports.

He has and camped at AU this Summer. He came down to hang out. He was not planning to participate in the AU camp but he really wanted the offer from AU so he decided to play. He did very well by all reports.

E...OK, my bad...was not looking at 2016...but count me skeptical anyway....glad he had a good camp but small school football in NC is not very good....for that matter neither is 3A and 4A.. My local HS is 2A, has been to the state quarter-finals and above most years since 2002 and has had only one Div player...AF Academy. Mostly we have guys racking up 1500 yards give or take. They look great on the field...but generally they end up at Wingate or Brevard.

Guess we will see what happens....

• 4 weeks later...

Antonio tweeted a day or so ago that he will commit on December 4th. He is visiting AU this Saturday for the Samford game. He is thought to be a Wisky lean right now.

Cancelled UV and will UV Wisky. Sounds like his 12/4 decision date just became a little clearer.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Williams-Cancels-Auburn-Trip-Heading-to-Wisconsin-33104674

Per 247sports' Ryan Bartow, Top247 2016 running back Antonio Williams has cancelled his unofficial visit to Auburn for this weekend and instead will take an unofficial visit to Wisconsin next weekend when the Badgers host Minnesota.

Williams will announce his decision on Dec. 4.

The four-star running back has a final five of Duke, North Carolina, Auburn, Notre Dame, and Wisconsin.

The Badgers have 71 percent of the crystal ball predictions for Williams, who checks in as the nation's ninth ranked running back per the 247sports composite.

Thought we kinda had a chance...

JMO but I don't think AW has a commitable AU offer right now.

Just asking, but why we would wait so long and be so calculated in when we offer, only to give him a non-committable offer?

Just asking, but why we would wait so long and be so calculated in when we offer, only to give him a non-committable offer?

We're only taking 1 RB in 2016 as things stand now so the staff is being very selective. Also the offer he got was halfway through his junior year and that is not waiting so long at all.

We're only taking 1 RB in 2016 as things stand now so the staff is being very selective. Also the offer he got was halfway through his junior year and that is not waiting so long at all.

I thought Jalen buie is a running back. Or do you mean one more?

I thought Jalen buie is a running back. Or do you mean one more?

No. I mean 1 period. Buie is still technically committed but the staff has not talked to him at all in 7 months.

He camped at AU to get an offer, it didn't come. He visited AU to get and offer and it finally came. His desire for an AU offer is well documented, as well as the day he finally got it. My point is, if we werent ready to take him, which is what was said for months while he was waiting on an offer, then why did we finally offer with a non-committable? Would have been better to just now offer at all.

why did we finally offer with a non-committable? Would have been better to just now offer at all.

To make sure we maintain a firm foot in the door if we want to take him later. This happens all the time with every team. For example, in the recruits' eyes we have offered 172 kids in the 2015 class. Over 75% of those offers are not committable.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived