Putting things into perspective

StatTiger

Stat, thanks tons for your facts & figures always & for this analysis in particular. It seems to me that many of us Aubies aren't just comparing our current offense to last year's offense. We're comparing our current offense to our offense at the end of 2013 when we truly were a juggernaut. Your analysis reminds us that the 2013 offense had to grow into that juggernaut. If we used this year's bye week like we used last year's, we may yet grow into a really scary offense this year (Halloween is too close not to use "scary" ^-^). The D is better if not yet in the "scary" category. Your analysis shows me there's good reason to look forward to what comes next. War Eagle everybody!

Stat, thanks tons for your facts & figures always & for this analysis in particular. It seems to me that many of us Aubies aren't just comparing our current offense to last year's offense. We're comparing our current offense to our offense at the end of 2013 when we truly were a juggernaut. Your analysis reminds us that the 2013 offense had to grow into that juggernaut. If we used this year's bye week like we used last year's, we may yet grow into a really scary offense this year (Halloween is too close not to use "scary" ^-^). The D is better if not yet in the "scary" category. Your analysis shows me there's good reason to look forward to what comes next. War Eagle everybody!

Comparing any Auburn run-offense to the 2013 version is destined to fail. Its kind of like comparing every RB to play at Auburn to Bo Jackson. Some of them have been pretty darn good but NONE of them stack up to Bo Jackson. The closest IMO, was Brent Fullwood.

Meh, I'm a Cadillac guy all the way so I'm disregarding everything else you have to say. ;)

On the personnel-adjustment front, there is more proof than Stat even cited. For one, against MSU, we drastically cut our WR rotation and distribution (only 3 receivers had more than 2 targets). Also, our personnel packages have shifted from our HB and TE packages that we used a great deal in the first four games (with Fulse and Uzomah on the field together) and massive amounts of time last season in favor of our 4-wide package with Coates/Uzomah to one side and Williams/Coates to the other. Basically, we're spreading defenses out more, which lends itself to more explosive plays but might give you an idea why we're slightly less consistent running the ball.

On the WR development question, I'd say the group as a whole has developed quite well under Coach Craig. Melvin Ray has grown. Sammie Coates has grown (even though he's playing poorly right now). Quan Bray is having by far his best season in year two under Craig. Marcus Davis is getting better (and looks like a natural Bray replacement next season... we even used him in the backfield against State). The group is better. Louis just struggles to catch the ball. He's got immense physical talent. He just struggles at the most basic and essential aspect of the position. That's why he's losing time to Bray.

Great points, Stat! I love reading your threads. They always bring me back to the facts. All of your points need to viewed with the remembrance that last year, we had zero expectations and were happy with each and every win. This year, we have high expectations and are picking apart every little thing. That being said, I have faith that Gus and Co. have the ability to keep our guys focused and teach the little adjustments that our guys need to make. I just want our guys to have fun playing and improving their craft. WDE

Thanks for the info Stat. Maybe you could give folks the defense stats also. Like the fact that AU is #25 nationally in total defense. #13 nationally in scoring defense. We are also rated # 1 in strength of schedule. That is the part most forget. We won a tough game away at KSU. We lost to a very good team away at MSU. Did we miss some plays ? Yes, so does a lot of teams. Ask OU if KSU is tough. Everything does not go as planned each week. I did not see one sports writer pick us to go undefeated. Most picked us 8-4. Most said we would be better than last year but our schedule was drastic. Most would say we are beating their best expectations Some folks expect perfection and will always be disappointed. For those that are more realistic, enjoy the Good days on the Plains. WDE

Statistics aren't the be all, end all for how a team is doing. It's easy to get way too hung up on stats.

Okay... so what is your actual point or stance? So what is your perception of how the team is performing?

Statistics aren't the be all, end all for how a team is doing. It's easy to get way too hung up on stats.

Okay... so what is your actual point or stance? So what is your perception of how the team is performing?

Yeah. I'm with Stat. What is your measuring stick other than stats that determine 'how a team is doing'.

Stat:

Opinion, do we go ahead and play CAP with the rotation we have now, or do we get Roc his reps now?

Both will play. I see CAP having most of the reps for now but if Roc continues to make plays, his snaps will likely increase. Coaches like his burst to the hole, which are not as frequent as last season.

Thx

Unfortunately there are some aspects of college football that statistics can't measure. Especially in what I've always looked at as critical situationals. I just don't think we are nearly as good/consistent or lucky at these as last year, offensively or defensively. Sometimes it's ineffective play calling, sometimes it's execution, sometimes it's just bad breaks. Don't mean we aren't a really good team just not hitting on ALL cylinders and not getting the breaks. Gonna be hard from here on when comparing results with the magic of 10 and 13 when in those critical situations we always seemed to call the right plays, executed at a high level and got the right breaks just at the most critical moments. I'm thinking everything may just start clicking in the right direction this weekend.

Stat I love your statistics and usually I agree with you 100%. This time I think statistics when taken as a whole instead of looking at individual things can tell a different story. The running game as total yards per game is very good and yes we are spoiled by last year. The big difference I see is on first down last year even when teams knew we were going to run we got 5-6 yards on first down. Sometimes just good blocking sometimes Trey getting a couple extra yards after being hit or changing direction in the hole and getting yards when blocking wasn't quite there.

Having 2nd and short and 3rd and shorter gives the O a big advantage over the D. This year we break some runs sometimes Cap sometimes NM that bolster the game stats but we are not as consistently putting the O in a strong position after 1st down play.

So yes we have a strong running game and yes Cap is a solid runner but we are not as able to dictate what we want to do after first down as we often don't have 2nd and short. That is the big difference. I think we are close a block here and there and we will be back to where we can count on first down but so far not consistent enough on first down.

Stat I love your statistics and usually I agree with you 100%. This time I think statistics when taken as a whole instead of looking at individual things can tell a different story. The running game as total yards per game is very good and yes we are spoiled by last year. The big difference I see is on first down last year even when teams knew we were going to run we got 5-6 yards on first down. Sometimes just good blocking sometimes Trey getting a couple extra yards after being hit or changing direction in the hole and getting yards when blocking wasn't quite there.

Having 2nd and short and 3rd and shorter gives the O a big advantage over the D. This year we break some runs sometimes Cap sometimes NM that bolster the game stats but we are not as consistently putting the O in a strong position after 1st down play.

So yes we have a strong running game and yes Cap is a solid runner but we are not as able to dictate what we want to do after first down as we often don't have 2nd and short. That is the big difference. I think we are close a block here and there and we will be back to where we can count on first down but so far not consistent enough on first down.

THIS. The overall stats show something else, but I think you nailed the reality of the situation on offense on the head here.

I saw an odd stat that all 3 of NM's picks have been on first down passes.Two were tips, one his arm was hit. Not suprising that Lashlee says it's a combination of NM not finding throwing lanes and the OL needing to make cut blocks.

Stat, I would be curious to know how much we run it (right up the middle) on first down, vs. passing it and what the average gain on first down is when we do run it. It seems to me after watching all the games this year, we are not picking up decent yardage on first down which makes us very predictable on second and third down. IN 2013, we could get nice yardage on first down even if the D loaded the box. This year we are not having as much success. Seems like we should pass more on first down which would hopefully lead to shorter second and third downs.

Can't wait to read your reply! War Eagle!!

Archived