valid point

Auburnforever

Got to give it to a bammer... but I was listening to the WJOX at lunch and a caller called in and asked why was UF not looking to hire any minorities for the coaching position. If you remember correctly UA got drug over the coals and Jesse Jackson also showed up when shula hoop was hired?

Just something to think about. Was a valid point though.

I doubt there will be a racial uproar against UF. Part of the problem with the UA hire was that Croom looked to be more qualified than Shula. Both were UA alum, both had NFL experience and no college experience. And at that time, we still had no minority coaches in the SEC. Now that Croom is on board, that has probably settled Jesse down a little. Plus, it involved Mississippi and Alabama. As bad and wrong as it is, we still have that stigma from the 60s. I'm sure there are as many racists in Florida as there are AL and MS. We just have that history to deal with.

Please do not take this the wrong way, but I'm calling it like I see it. The discussion of Croom and hiring black coaches puts me on my soapbox right off the bat. UF will not take any heat mainly because of one thing AU4 said. Now that the SEC has hired an African American, the heat's off.

Think about it. For the first 6 months after Croom was hired, did you ever hear any reference to him in the media, both nationally and locally, without the moniker, "The first black coach in SEC history". As if the rest of the country is soooo progressive and us backwards, barefoot, gap-tooth rednecks in the SEC have finally joined the real world.

Now, go to your favorite college football internet site, do the research and then tell me how many black head coaches the caring and sensitive ACC has. How about in it's entire history? What..one? How about the Big 12? Certainly the Pac 10 has at least 40-50% of its teams being led by black head coaches. Look at all 118 Division 1 teams, or whatever number there are now. I know at LEAST 25% of the teams have black head coaches. Right??? But, FINALLY, the SEC has dragged itself out of the mire and muck of racism and insensitivity and hired themselves a black guy. Woohoo.

Yes, there is a definite history of racism in the south, but it's prevalent everywhere. Just look at the numbers and tell me how the rest of the country is putting its money where its mouth is. I'm sorry, I just get fired up when I think about how we are perceived here in the south.

Please do not take this the wrong way, but I'm calling it like I see it.  The discussion of Croom and hiring black coaches puts me on my soapbox right off the bat.  UF will not take any heat mainly because of one thing AU4 said.  Now that the SEC has hired an African American, the heat's off.

Think about it.  For the first 6 months after Croom was hired, did you ever hear any reference to him in the media, both nationally and locally, without the moniker, "The first black coach in SEC history".  As if the rest of the country is soooo progressive and us backwards, barefoot, gap-tooth rednecks in the SEC have finally joined the real world. 

Now, go to your favorite college football internet site, do the research and then tell me how many black head coaches the caring and sensitive ACC has.  How about in it's entire history?  What..one?  How about the Big 12?  Certainly the Pac 10 has at least 40-50% of its teams being led by black head coaches.  Look at all 118 Division 1 teams, or whatever number there are now.  I know at LEAST 25% of the teams have black head coaches.  Right???  But, FINALLY, the SEC has dragged itself out of the mire and muck of racism and insensitivity and hired themselves a black guy.  Woohoo.

Yes, there is a definite history of racism in the south, but it's prevalent everywhere.  Just look at the numbers and tell me how the rest of the country is putting its money where its mouth is.  I'm sorry, I just get fired up when I think about how we are perceived here in the south.

115593[/snapback]

Agreed 100%. Also, it pains me to see Alabama people calling each other rednecks as well. It doesn't make any sense to get mad at the nation for calling us rednecks, if we are busy calling each other rednecks. Kinda like the N-bomb.

OK. Here's the deal......Going out of your way to find black candidates is just as racist as going out of your way to exclude them. I could go on, but you get the idea.

I will go a step further. If I were Coach Croom, It would "tick me off" that anyone suggested I got the job for any reason other than the FACT that I had paid my dues and I have the resume to justify My hiring ! ! !

I will go a step further. If I were Coach Croom, It would "tick me off" that anyone suggested I got the job for any reason other than the FACT that I had paid my dues and I have the resume to justify My hiring ! ! !

115992[/snapback]

hasn't croom intimated as much in a slightly less straightforward way?

Here's another form of racism I've noticed when it comes to Croom. When the media, callers to sports shows, sports journalists etc, gave their analysis of "The first black coach in the SEC", they always said "He's intelligent and well-spoken". ;)

And you were expecting....?

Archived