Ole Miss Recruitting

JFDTiger80

Yeah, there is definitely something going on that is shady. Freeze isn't that charismatic.

bump

Wow, you really called that one. Who would have thought that big time D1 programs pay players?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, there is definitely something going on that is shady. Freeze isn't that charismatic.

bump

Wow, you really called that one. Who would have thought that big time D1 programs pay players?

Well I guess I can show you the defenders... Smartass.... I knew it all along though because while I was saying some things didn't seem right, WDE PMed me a very detailed account of what was going on. After that, I was just waiting...

I don't think you understand how their recruiting was so conspicuous compared to the rest of the league. How does a team do horrible a whole decade and all of a sudden start bringing A1 talent in?

bump

Well I guess I can show you the defenders... Smartass.... I knew it all along though because while I was saying some things didn't seem right, WDE PMed me a very detailed account of what was going on. After that, I was just waiting...

Jeff, all of these schools cheat to high heaven. Everyone knows this. Its just a matter of not getting caught. If you would have told me that you knew they were going to get caught, then I'd say you were on to something. Pointing out Ole Miss is cheating, or Alabama is cheating, or Ohio State, LSU, Auburn...and down the line, is like pointing out the sky is blue.

bump

Jeff, all of these schools cheat to high heaven. Everyone knows this. Its just a matter of not getting caught. If you would have told me that you knew they were going to get caught, then I'd say you were on to something. Pointing out Ole Miss is cheating, or Alabama is cheating, or Ohio State, LSU, Auburn...and down the line, is like pointing out the sky is blue.

Like I said in the prior post, Ole Miss cheated and stood out like a sore thumb. don't preach to me about what every team does. I don't care.

bump

Like I said in the prior post, one team stood out like a sore thumb. don't preach to me about what every team does.

I'm not preaching man. Its just amazing to me how often people stand up on their soapbox just so they can call the kettle black, and then congratulate themselves when something everyone already knew comes out.

If there is one thing that's for certain, its that at one time or another just about everyone get's caught. You just have to hope that you aren't too exposed, and that the damage isn't too big to control.

bump

Like I said in the prior post, one team stood out like a sore thumb. don't preach to me about what every team does.

I'm not preaching man. Its just amazing to me how often people stand up on their soapbox just so they can call the kettle black, and then congratulate themselves when something everyone already knew comes out.

If there is one thing that's for certain, its that at one time or another just about everyone get's caught. You just have to hope that you aren't too exposed, and that the damage isn't too big to control.

"something everyone already knew comes out."

Yeah right, there are so many wishy washy skeptics on this board that it isn't possible for "everyone" to know and to agree on something. I can't find the article, but on January 4 2016( I know this because of a PM), we were having a discussion on Ole Miss and others were claiming their recruiting was a product of their "great culture" and their newfound "winning ways"

Save it, Barney.

bump

Yeah right, there are so many wishy washy skeptics on this board that it isn't possible for "everyone" to know and to agree on something. I can't find the article, but on January 4 2016( I know this because of a PM), we were having a discussion on Ole Miss and others were claiming their recruiting was a product of their "great culture" and their newfound "winning ways"

Save it, Barney.

They are recruiting well because of culture and winning ways. You don't get kids to come to your school simply because you are going to pay their rent and your mom's utility bills. I've always maintained that Ole Miss pays players, but I've also given credit where credit is due. Hugh Freeze is an extremely good football coach. They've beaten Alabama the past two years. They are a national brand now. You can't just attribute all their success to paying players. It's a combination of the things I've mentioned, and them being willing to open up their pocket books.

bump

Save it, Barney.

They are recruiting well because of culture and winning ways. You don't get kids to come to your school simply because you are going to pay their rent and your mom's utility bills. I've always maintained that Ole Miss pays players, but I've also given credit where credit is due. Hugh Freeze is an extremely good football coach. They've beaten Alabama the past two years. They are a national brand now. You can't just attribute all their success to paying players. It's a combination of the things I've mentioned, and them being willing to open up their pocket books.

Well obviously they can coach up the players including the ones signed via transaction. Much of their breakthrough- success came by the pocketbook though.

bump

Save it, Barney.

Well obviously they can coach up the players including the ones signed via transaction. Much of their breakthrough- success came by the pocketbook though.

Like I said, if you want to compete with the big dogs, you gotta compete like the big dogs.

Wow. Somebody finally made the leap of creative genius from Barnacle to Barney. Barney, you got super burned, bro.

Bless his heart.

As much as I want to pull my schadenfreude out of the garage and crank it up, I can't help but wish it was a school just a wee bit east of Oxford. We- yes, most observant SEC fans- knew these guys were experiencing a nice little break in the shade that was going to end sooner rather than later. What would be of actual interest would be for the NCAA to really ask themselves how one school has won almost every single recruiting title for the last 8-9 years.

I'll apologize to Jeff and anyone else if I come on too strong about this. I was already pissed off because of the weed tweet, then those text messages, and I'm in the middle of law school exams right now. I'm sleep deprived and just ready to be at the beach in a week and a half.

Curious to see what the Alabama coach did, and how it compares to how Ole Miss is handled. That being said, here's a fluff piece to make me feel better: http://insideolemisssports.com/2016/04/29/tunsil-comments-and-the-ncaa-student-assistance-fund/

By the way Loof, my dad's name is Barney. True story. I was a kid in the nineties. Imagine what that was like.

I've imagined a few different scenarios for your handle. That one probably should've occurred to me. That's good stuff. I'll picture your dad as this Barney:

barney_stinson_signature_by_zaxanq-d4ffjrc.png

Good luck, barrister. The beach will still be there when you get there. 2 weeks out from a wedding at an all inclusive in Cancun myself, kid free. So I'm with ya.

Wow. Somebody finally made the leap of creative genius from Barnacle to Barney. Barney, you got super burned, bro.

Bless his heart.

As much as I want to pull my schadenfreude out of the garage and crank it up, I can't help but wish it was a school just a wee bit east of Oxford. We- yes, most observant SEC fans- knew these guys were experiencing a nice little break in the shade that was going to end sooner rather than later. What would be of actual interest would be for the NCAA to really ask themselves how one school has won almost every single recruiting title for the last 8-9 years.

Bless your heart..

• 4 weeks later...

Been kinda quiet on the Ole Miss front in the last month. They must be circling the wagons.

I'll apologize to Jeff and anyone else if I come on too strong about this. I was already pissed off because of the weed tweet, then those text messages, and I'm in the middle of law school exams right now. I'm sleep deprived and just ready to be at the beach in a week and a half.

Curious to see what the Alabama coach did, and how it compares to how Ole Miss is handled. That being said, here's a fluff piece to make me feel better: http://insideolemiss...ssistance-fund/

By the way Loof, my dad's name is Barney. True story. I was a kid in the nineties. Imagine what that was like.

Good luck with your exams!

Curious to see what the Alabama coach did, and how it compares to how Ole Miss is handled. That being said, here's a fluff piece to make me feel better: http://insideolemiss...ssistance-fund/

Good luck with your exams!

I appreciate it! Finished two weeks ago, and now clerking for the summer, which to my surprise has been considerably more stressful than school. On another note, it looks like Ole Miss will be getting the slap on the wrist that I predicted.

Double digit scholarship reductions per an espn article read.....thats a hard slap. And that is the self-imposed penalties

Double digit scholarship reductions per an espn article read.....thats a hard slap. And that is the self-imposed penalties

Its 11 scholarships over four years. Definitely a slap on the wrist. The NCAA likely will not impose any more stringent penalties. However, the Tunsil admissions may provide further trouble. We'll just have to wait and see.

Its 11 scholarships over four years. Definitely a slap on the wrist. The NCAA likely will not impose any more stringent penalties. However, the Tunsil admissions may provide further trouble. We'll just have to wait and see.

There is a cumulative effect to these loses...and by the end of 4 years it will be more than a slap on the wrist. Consider that USCw had 30 schollys lost but at the end of the penalty period with lost schollys and attrition they had only 44 scholarship players in 2014. The partly made up for the losses with all their 4* and 5* recruits but the lack of depth was a killer for them. I saw estimates of another 3 years give or take for them to get back to a full roster....depending on attrition,etc.

Ole Miss is going to feel this...and with the NCAA annual limit, it will take them a few years to get back to a full roster after the penalty expires. Freeze might be good enough to coach around the losses but I'm betting that the lack of depth will be a big issue over the next 3 or 4 years and OM will likely not be able to recruit their way past this issue. i see them back in their accustomed place in the second tier of the SEC west before long.

There is a cumulative effect to these loses...and by the end of 4 years it will be more than a slap on the wrist. Consider that USCw had 30 schollys lost but at the end of the penalty period with lost schollys and attrition they had only 44 scholarship players in 2014. The partly made up for the losses with all their 4* and 5* recruits but the lack of depth was a killer for them. I saw estimates of another 3 years give or take for them to get back to a full roster....depending on attrition,etc.

Ole Miss is going to feel this...and with the NCAA annual limit, it will take them a few years to get back to a full roster after the penalty expires. Freeze might be good enough to coach around the losses but I'm betting that the lack of depth will be a big issue over the next 3 or 4 years and OM will likely not be able to recruit their way past this issue. i see them back in their accustomed place in the second tier of the SEC west before long.

I understand what you are saying, although I think you will agree this is not nearly on the same scale as what happened to USC. The lowest amount of scholarship players Ole Miss will have through 2019 is 81, and it will be at 81 for the 17-18' season and the 18-19' season. For the 2016-17' season, they will have 83. This affects depth, but I still maintain that its a slap on the wrist, especially from what many were wishing for. If they recruit really well, and stay healthy, while getting "creative" with the scholarships they have, I have a hard time believing they will drop back to mediocrity. As we have already seen, the top players aren't being scared away.

I've got a feeling that the penalties OleMiss offered to the NCAA will be increased by a few more lost scholly's. And they haven't even investigated the Tunsil text messages to the Asst AD about the payment system that was in place to pay momma's power bill, rent, etc.

When the NCAA levels 8 level one penalties on football alone, some of which were actually under Freeze AND they still have further investigating left to complete, things will be rougher than a little slap on the wrist.

• 1 year later...

lol wow. did not think ole sis could pull these kind of prospects after the ncaa destroyed their program.

Archived