Charles Kelly

RunInRed

Did you miss the entire DECADE of UpDyke football before Saban arrived ? The Perkins' years weren't too good either. That was 14 seasons of seriously bad to mediocre UpDyke football.

Take some time and read about Dubose, Franchione, Price (my fav), and Shula. The UpDykes' record was 51-54. Besides, in the 15 previous seasons the UpDykes were on probation 2-3 times. From what I understand one more major probation and the DEATH PENALTY would have kicked in for them. You don't remember those issues for the UpDykes ?

https://en.wikipedia...ootball_coaches

I've read about them. Yes, bama struggled then. But, guess what, during Nick Saban's time so far, nothing bad. Year in, year out, very very good if not perfect. That's what I was referring to. How come we can't have a coach like that? You might not like Nick Saban, but he's a dang good coach.

You kinda just slid right over the UpDykes' fiascos a bit too easily and come up with a "so what?".

You're right Satan is an excellent coach. No question about it. So was PBB and the UpDykes wanted to fire him when he went 7-5 and 6-6 two successive seasons and then he delivered 3 more NCs. Satan isn't infallible as you and the Gawja and LSWhoo fans seem to think. He's hit an historic stride. It takes mojo and we've had probably the best shot at it of any Div. I school in the nation to replicate such. Our time will come. Don't focus on their success and become jealous. Focus on AU's and give greater support so that we achieve higher/nobler goals than they.

WDE !!!

Also, don't forget that Saban is best friends with the head of the NCAA and the head of the SEC refs is a bama man. Don't think that bama doesn't get to use any means necessary, without penalty, to be as good as they are every year. There's plenty of documented proof of their misdeeds since Saban moved in and zero effort to do anything about them.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah some definitely need to take off the O&B glasses...Auburn is a contender year in/year out? seriously? I'm guessing that's based on preseason hype cause last year and this year prove otherwise. I think we're building to a point where we can compete year in/year out but not quite there yet. I think Auburn is a great place and a great job but honestly it's not the top tier job like the traditional jobs(Alabama, Mich, Notre Dame, USC, etc.). I hope we can land a DC that's not gonna be here for just a year or two

Disagree whole heartedly alabamabrown. AU IS a contender for coaches/talent/titles every year. We pay top dollar for top tier coaches and always have a top recruiting class. The results will vary from year to year but 99% of the other Div. I schools would give their whole annual budget and their right arm for having won a NC and competed for another NC within 3 seasons as Auburn University has.

AU is in the discussion EVERY SEASON.

WDE !!!

In response to your comment about it varying from year to year, when was the last time Alabama football varied year to year regarding have a really bad 6-6 year or worse. They haven't in a while. Auburn needs high caliber coaches to get high caliber players or to COACH high caliber players. Gus Malzahn is awesome. I love the man. But he has to figure out how to win games consistently. It seems he has to have a very specific QB for his offense to work at all. Will Muschamp started rebuilding the defense, but now we have to rebuild again.

It also makes you wonder if Gus Malzahn's fast-paced offense is actually hurting the defense. Also, not just Malzahn. Look at other fast-paced offenses, they do not have top-notch defenses. If you get so fast, it is inevitable that your defense won't be as good. Look at Alabama since they hired Kiffin. He has sped up the offense more than it used to be and the defense went down some. This is still one of the best defenses they have had in a long time, but especially last year, it was lacking more than usual.

Did you miss the entire DECADE of UpDyke football before Saban arrived ? The Perkins' years weren't too good either. That was 14 seasons of seriously bad to mediocre UpDyke football.

Take some time and read about Dubose, Franchione, Price (my fav), and Shula. The UpDykes' record was 51-54. Besides, in the 15 previous seasons the UpDykes were on probation 2-3 times. From what I understand one more major probation and the DEATH PENALTY would have kicked in for them. You don't remember those issues for the UpDykes ?

I've read about them. Yes, bama struggled then. But, guess what, during Nick Saban's time so far, nothing bad. Year in, year out, very very good if not perfect. That's what I was referring to. How come we can't have a coach like that? You might not like Nick Saban, but he's a dang good coach.

Nick Saban's run at Bama is virtually unprecedented. Probably only Bobby Bowden's run in the 90s at FSU and Bear Bryant's run in the 70s are comparable.

In other words, this kind of success is once a generation or more even at Alabama, much less anywhere else.

this x a billion

If Kelly is only getting 500k we should be able to double that. Just pay him what we were prepared to keep paying Muschamp.

Recruiting would get a huge boost and I think he could pick up where Muschamp left off easily.

If Kelly is only getting 500k we should be able to double that. Just pay him what we were prepared to keep paying Muschamp.

Recruiting would get a huge boost and I think he could pick up where Muschamp left off easily.

I'd offer $850,000 plus incentives. That gives you some room to bring in a stellar DB coach.

I think if Kelly is given a 3 year contract worth $775,000 per year, why not come to Auburn? If he stays with FSU, he would likely come up about $825,000 or more short staying at FSU. Gus will do what he has to do to get us back in the saddle. We were close in so many games this season with a few breaks could be sitting 9-3 or better. IF this was the case, all would be OK for the most.

I think that Gus will turn the corner in 2016. Nobody likes to lose even 1 game. If Saban gets knocked out of the playoffs the first round, you will see a lot of crying for his head. You know this will happen as the sun rises and sets each day. In Kelly, we likely get as good if not better long term DC than XWM. Ooopss, CWM. I do like the "X" factor. This was a season of close calls of which the calls went against us.

I just long for a good Auburn defense. Muschamp had us in the right direction for what seems like the first time in a decade. This hire is crucial for our defense, Malzhan's career, and my sanity.

I just long for a good Auburn defense. Muschamp had us in the right direction for what seems like the first time in a decade. This hire is crucial for our defense, Malzhan's career, and my sanity.

Hopefully a lasting benefit of Muschamp's brief tenure- beyond the recruiting class that he and TRob saved and the young guys who were coached way up this season- will be that he convinced the PTB to stay the hell out of the way and let the coaches do their jobs <--EDIT: Which is to mean that maybe the next guy won't be hamstrung like Roof, BVG and Johnson were.

I am sick of all of the foolishness about us not being a big time program. People, in the last 5 years, we have won 2 SEC Titles, 1 NC, and 13 seconds from another. Very few teams in college football have done this. We pay big bucks and just 2 years ago, we were scared to death that Gus begoing to Texas or other HC jobs. The man can coach no doubt. We hit some rough ground in the past 5 years as well.

I do think that CWM blow up in the Iron Bowl could have been a lot of his undoing; but who knows. He is gone and is history now. I say this moment forward, we never mention that name again. May God Bless our team and coaches and lead us to a DC that can get the job done.

Hopefully a lasting benefit of Muschamp's brief tenure- beyond the recruiting class that he and TRob saved and the young guys who were coached way up this season- will be that he convinced the PTB to stay the hell out of the way and let the coaches do their jobs <--EDIT: Which is to mean that maybe the next guy won't be hamstrung like Roof, BVG and Johnson were.

PTB have been hindering the program in various ways for years. Hopefully their arrogance will stop.

Kelly is really the only target i can consider. Really do not want to settle or worry about money. He could help us with recruiting in Florida and Alabama. The PTB should be happy with his 'connections' and the guy has some proven results on the field.

I am all for Kelly....I just hope AU can get it done. I don't think he is worth Muschamp money....Pruitt money, yes....but not as much as Muschamp.

And I want him to bring Lawing but I wonder if Jimbo might promote him to DC if Kelly does leave.

Why would Dave Womack leave Ole Miss? They are a program that could pony up the $$$ to keep a coach if Freeze wants him.

I am all for Kelly....I just hope AU can get it done. I don't think he is worth Muschamp money....Pruitt money, yes....but not as much as Muschamp.

And I want him to bring Lawing but I wonder if Jimbo might promote him to DC if Kelly does leave.

Why would Dave Womack leave Ole Miss? They are a program that could pony up the $$$ to keep a coach if Freeze wants him.

Yes Scruggs still has a bottomless pot of gold. :)

Yeah some definitely need to take off the O&B glasses...Auburn is a contender year in/year out? seriously? I'm guessing that's based on preseason hype cause last year and this year prove otherwise. I think we're building to a point where we can compete year in/year out but not quite there yet. I think Auburn is a great place and a great job but honestly it's not the top tier job like the traditional jobs(Alabama, Mich, Notre Dame, USC, etc.). I hope we can land a DC that's not gonna be here for just a year or two

Disagree whole heartedly alabamabrown. AU IS a contender for coaches/talent/titles every year. We pay top dollar for top tier coaches and always have a top recruiting class. The results will vary from year to year but 99% of the other Div. I schools would give their whole annual budget and their right arm for having won a NC and competed for another NC within 3 seasons as Auburn University has.

WDE !!!

In response to your comment about it varying from year to year, when was the last time Alabama football varied year to year regarding have a really bad 6-6 year or worse. They haven't in a while. Auburn needs high caliber coaches to get high caliber players or to COACH high caliber players. Gus Malzahn is awesome. I love the man. But he has to figure out how to win games consistently. It seems he has to have a very specific QB for his offense to work at all. Will Muschamp started rebuilding the defense, but now we have to rebuild again.

It also makes you wonder if Gus Malzahn's fast-paced offense is actually hurting the defense. Also, not just Malzahn. Look at other fast-paced offenses, they do not have top-notch defenses. If you get so fast, it is inevitable that your defense won't be as good. Look at Alabama since they hired Kiffin. He has sped up the offense more than it used to be and the defense went down some. This is still one of the best defenses they have had in a long time, but especially last year, it was lacking more than usual.

OK but how many Nick Sabans are there? He's also got the bama machine behind him and immunity from NCAA trouble.

WDE !!!

OK but how many Nick Sabans are there? He's also got the bama machine behind him and immunity from NCAA trouble.

Yup

I would be good with him coming in. Gives us a bit of stability in that his system seems to be close to what we are already running. I truly believe that Gus gets the offense on the right track next year. This year was an outlier in his career.

I'd offer $850,000 plus incentives. That gives you some room to bring in a stellar DB coach.

Yes, I would go heavy on the incentives,let them earn their money by producing wins on the field.To many big salaries with little to no results.AU is paying way to much for a 6-6 record.

I would imagine that whatever we are willing to pay, Florida State would easily match. I really don't know what his incentive would be to come here unless he is just looking to get out of where he's at for whatever reason. Just seems an extreme longshot. Would love to have him here though!

FSU is notoriously cheap and they really don't have the money to match what AU could offer. But sometimes its not all about money to these coaches.

Much of this stuff about need someone for the "Long Haul" is so much B.S. Jeremy Pruitt was a one and done at FSU, and FSU's defense performed fine before Pruitt and fine after Pruitt. While Kirby Smart was in for the long haul with Bama, his underlings rotated more than a volleyball team. We had 5 different DCs under Tubberville, and we were strong on defense during that era. It is not about coaches, it is about the system, and the schemes.

Look at Kelly. He was the LB coach (with prior DC experience at smaller schools) who was promoted from within. How is that any different from the prospect of promoting CLT to DC?

This is not the 1980s anymore. These coordinators like to move on and move up. Coordinators want to be head coaches, and they want to make a lot of money. Both making money and getting a variety of experience under a variety of head coaches requires job shopping. Get used to it.

The same applies to assistants who want to be coordinators. That is why Jeremy Pruitt did not stay at Alabama. That is probably why CLT bounced around between UAT, UTK, back to UAT, and to AU.

We are not going to get another Wayne Hall--a DC with decade long tenure. And given Hall's corruption nearly took down AU Football, it is a damn good thing those days are gone.

Going for the big names is fine to a point. The schemes and systems have to be compatible. Certainly Kelly's scheme is similar enough to CWMs to match. But it would be a huge mistake to get a big name DC with a different system.

If AU is the dumpster fire some believe it is, it has something to offer someone like CLT. Unless Kirby Smart is going to offer CLT the UGA DC job, we are probably his only prospect for a DC job. And even if CGM is dumped after next year, an SEC defensive assistant with solid experience under many HCs and FBS DC experience can find a job quick.

As for a secondary and LB coach, go for young assistants in FCS or non-Power 5 with ambition and a chip on their shoulder--guys who are looking for a step up to a Power 5 school.

I would imagine that whatever we are willing to pay, Florida State would easily match. I really don't know what his incentive would be to come here unless he is just looking to get out of where he's at for whatever reason. Just seems an extreme longshot. Would love to have him here though!

FSU is notorious for penny pinching.

Auburn COULD be a contender year in and year out. Again...they have to get out of their own way.

Wanna know a big reason Saban has been so successful at Bama? He told the AD from the get-go he wanted COMPLETE control. No meddling. That was a big problem at Bama before Saban, and its a problem at AU now and has been for a while.

The AD at AU is a BIG business, not a good ol boy's club...and should be run as such.

Pretty much spot on girl.

Can either of you elaborate on this? What is JJ doing that is hindering our success and preventing us from being a contender year in and year out? I'm asking because I really don't know. I do understand that sometimes the AD can have too much of a say in hiring actions and that definitely seems to be the case with JJ but beyond that, how is he hindering Malzahn and the football program from succeeding?

We had to pay Muschamp $1.6 MILLION DOLLARS to come here for ONE YEAR with absolutely NO BUYOUT after the regular season (a mid season buyout is meaningless anyway because the hiring/firing starts after the season has ended).

Which is exactly why I don't buy the "Muschamp was gone regardless of USCe" talk. When we got CWM, we probably thought we would have him for two years. The main competition for CWM was USCe with an apparent HCIW designation. At that time I don't think Spurrier was planning to leave so soon, or CWM would have taken that job. We won the battle for CWM, but the Spurrier threw a wrench in our plans, leaving at least one year early.

The deal we gave CWM was a great deal for him. But do we really think another school would give CWM a one-year open-ended contract, given (1) CWM was interviewing for USCe, and (2) the likelyhood CWM would be a one and done at the new school? I just don't see it.

FSU athletic dept reported to be $16M in the hole a year or so ago....the need to pinch their pennies

. As for CWM....UF was still paying him and he did not have to take a job....AU convinced him to come and gave him the moon.

Archived