Colin Kaepernick answers his critics

aujeff11

for not standing up for the National Anthem due to social injustices of the minorities. Doesn't sound like he is disrespecting the military at all. 

What does he say to people who view his stance as disrespectful to the military?

"I have great respect for men and women that have fought for this country. I have family, I have friends that have gone and fought for this country. 

They fight for freedom. They fight for the people, they fight for liberty and justice for everyone. And that's not happening. 

People are dying in vain because this country isn't holding their end of the bargain up, as far as giving freedom and justice, liberty to everybody. It's something that's not happening. 

I've seen videos. I've seen circumstances where men and women that have been in the military have come back and been treated unjustly by the country they fought for and have been murdered by the country they fought for, on our land. That's not right."

https://mobile.twitter.com/Terence_Huie/status/770020631362596864/video/1

www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colin-kaepernick-says-hell-continue-to-sit-for-anthem-until-meaningful-change-happens/amp/?client=safari

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AUUSN said:

I'm not offended. He's a grown man and it's his right.

It is certainly his right. Bugs me that people want to cry about the perceived disrespect to the military just to avoid answering to the injustices that he is bringing up when he wasn't even disrespecting the military to begin with.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

It is certainly his right. Bugs me that people want to cry about the perceived disrespect to the military just to avoid answering to the injustices that he is bringing up when he wasn't even disrespecting the military to begin with.

But Kaepernick is using a specific issue to treat the flag as if it's a watered down Confederate flag that doesn't deserve respect. He's flat said it doesn't deserve the respect it gets. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/27/kaepernick-sits-during-national-anthem/

Kaepernick has since deleted a tweet he posted on Thursday, August 25 that had images of the U.S. flag and the Confederate flag with a caption that said "The fact that you really believe that there is difference in these flags means that your [sic] ignoring history."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2660085-colin-kaepernick-sits-during-national-anthem-before-packers-vs-49ers#articles/2660085-colin-kaepernick-sits-during-national-anthem-before-packers-vs-49ers

He can do whatever he wants to do but he looks foolish doing this. Black $millionaire NFL QB living a dream protests black oppression. WTF? If what he was protesting was even remotely true he wouldn't be enjoying the success that he is but again, he can protest whatever he wishes.

I admire his willingness to take a stand. I think he comes across like a complete jackass and will likely regret his decision to take a stand in the way that he has chosen to do it, but I still admire his willingness. He is now more hated than the woman who raised the price of the Epi-pen.

" ...  as far as giving freedom and justice, liberty to everybody. " 

Those things aren't  " given " . They exist upon mankind simply by way of our existence. ( Or some may say because GOD gave them to us, what ever )  Point is, no govt, no military, no bureaucrat GIVES us these things. 

We do thank those who sacrifice to PROTECT those rights, however. 

3 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

Those things aren't  " given " . They exist upon mankind simply by way of our existence. ( Or some may say because GOD gave them to us, what ever )  Point is, no govt, no military, no bureaucrat GIVES us these things. 

Excellent point!

37 minutes ago, TheBlueVue said:

He can do whatever he wants to do but he looks foolish doing this. Black $millionaire NFL QB living a dream protests black oppression. WTF? If what he was protesting was even remotely true he wouldn't be enjoying the success that he is but again, he can protest whatever he wishes.

Just because he isn't oppressed himself, that doesn't mean he isn't supposed to talk about the oppression of the minorities and of police brutality. Heck, Muhammad Ali wasn't oppressed and he had success during a time of oppression. Does that mean his voice doesn't count either? 

42 minutes ago, TheBlueVue said:

So what you're saying is that because he is black and is successful financially it cannot be true that blacks are oppressed? 

14 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I admire his willingness to take a stand. I think he comes across like a complete jackass and will likely regret his decision to take a stand in the way that he has chosen to do it, but I still admire his willingness. He is now more hated than the woman who raised the price of the Epi-pen.

He may regret his decision definitely if itnegatively impacts his career. I imagine the backlash is the same reason why MJ never wanted to talk social injustices. Definitely at a time when the white man wrote his checks.

14 minutes ago, Grumps said:

He is now more hated than the woman who raised the price of the Epi-pen.

Which is sad. America needs a gut check, hello!

What gut check ? This NFL QB made an idiotic gesture and is tilting at windmills. 

2 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

What gut check ? This NFL QB made an idiotic gesture and is tilting at windmills. 

Guy takes a stand against violence against black minorities and he is more hated than the woman that brought home an 18 million dollar raise subsequent to jacking up the cost of medicines that can help keep people alive? Do I have to spell everything out to you?

I respect his right of protest/expression and am sympathetic to the concerns that underlie it. I do wonder if his teammates will find the media attention to be a distraction to team goals.

7 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Guy takes a stand against violence against black minorities and he is more hated than the woman that brought home an 18 million dollar raise subsequent to jacking up the cost of medicines that can help keep people alive? Do I have to spell everything out to you?

:laugh: took a stand ? 

9 hours ago, TheBlueVue said:

He's not black. I'd say Arabic/Italian mix, with a bit of European.

But it's america... so anyone not 100% european is "black" :lol:

Let's respect his right to free speech. At the same time, let's respect and cheer the right of the opposing teams D to take his head off, IF he sees the field this year.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

What the heck?

He did NOT stand! Good grief, must I draw a picture for you? 

12 hours ago, TheBlueVue said:

WTF?   Are you saying that being a millionaire proves black oppression doesn't exist or are you saying he shouldn't care because he got his?

12 hours ago, AURaptor said:

Says the atheist. <_<

Freedom, liberty and justice are all social terms.  If you don't have them, it's because other people have taken them from you. If you do have them, it's because you either took them or they were bestowed upon you by the ruling powers.

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

It was a joke! Get it?

Yeah I got it now. Thought Raptor was claiming something else like Kaepernick's actions were self-serving or something.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Yeah I got it now. Thought Raptor was claiming something else like Kaepernick's actions were self-serving or something.

Oh, they absolutely are self serving. Kaepernick is it the end of his NFL career, and he's struggling to  get attention. He may not make the 49ers roster. The dude simply can't play anymore.  I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to protest something, but he is at Kardashian level stupid and trying to equate / connect this "injustice" to our national anthem. 

Archived