Art Briles

AUpreacherman22

8 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I disagree.  His coaching is ok but far from tremendous.  Until he lands at a place that enforces some moral code and doesn't sacrifice integrity and everything else to win games (like they seemingly did at Baylor), he's an average coach at best.  The entire package matters.   I'm willing to revisit this if he ever gets a chance at another power 5 school once he's been there a few years, but until then, he's just an average coach.  

Do you think Saban or Urban are good coaches? 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now in America, there is so much attention by the media about sexual assaults, race, religion, immigration, there are protest this, boycott that ETC....Baylor and Art Briles are the poster children for what is judged or perceived wrong with big time college athletics today. The problems at Baylor have quietly been whispered about college athletics for decades.  It just so happens it was Baylor and Art Briles. OU in the 80's with Switzer. Miami in the 90's. We know they did bad things but the schools, local law enforcement, the media, powerful boosters and for the most part the NCAA keep a lot of things under wraps. Was it as bad as Baylor, at least with drugs and guns worse, as for the sexual assaults we will never know. My point is, the accepted norm of society of the past is not the accepted norm for society of today. The next school that hires Art Briles must be willing to accept the media onslaught that will be brought down upon them. Michigan St. just suspended a member of the athletic department, while also suspending 3 players (and removed them from the dormitories) while pending a Title IX investigation. Title IX departments will become very powerful in the very near future, because of "Baylorgate". Debate if Art is a good coach all you want, but mark my words, it will be a long time before any school ever touches him again and the school that does better have a desperate need and one heck of a public relations department. 

4 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Right now in America, there is so much attention by the media about sexual assaults, race, religion, immigration, there are protest this, boycott that ETC....Baylor and Art Briles are the poster children for what is judged or perceived wrong with big time college athletics today. The problems at Baylor have quietly been whispered about college athletics for decades.  It just so happens it was Baylor and Art Briles. OU in the 80's with Switzer. Miami in the 90's. We know they did bad things but the schools, local law enforcement, the media, powerful boosters and for the most part the NCAA keep a lot of things under wraps. Was it as bad as Baylor, at least with drugs and guns worse, as for the sexual assaults we will never know. My point is, the accepted norm of society of the past is not the accepted norm for society of today. The next school that hires Art Briles must be willing to accept the media onslaught that will be brought down upon them. Michigan St. just suspended a member of the athletic department, while also suspending 3 players (and removed them from the dormitories) while pending a Title IX investigation. Title IX departments will become very powerful in the very near future, because of "Baylorgate". Debate if Art is a good coach all you want, but mark my words, it will be a long time before any school ever touches him again and the school that does better have a desperate need and one heck of a public relations department. 

excellent post AF

5 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Art Briles is a good coach.  I don't think that is debatable. Art Briles is also a dispicable human being.  That is becoming less and less debatable as more information comes out. The sexual exploitation of women by football players who play for football factories has been commonplace for decades.  Hopefully, the Baylor situation will make make it less commonplace.

Edit:  I have three daughters.  My oldest graduated from AU and was a hostess for the swim team and conducted campus tours for prospective high school students.  She was inappropriately approached mulitple times by football players and when she got offended and told them to F off, they were offended because they were football players.

wde  

5 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Not a lawyer, but it is important to note that what happened at Baylor is being investigated as criminal. Title IX in its purest sense deals,with equal rights. Fostering an environment where criminal acts are covered up is well beyond a rights issue. I agree that no school in their right mind will hire him anytime soon.  

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

Art Briles is a good coach.  I don't think that is debatable. Art Briles is also a dispicable human being.  That is becoming less and less debatable as more information comes out. The sexual exploitation of women by football players who play for football factories has been commonplace for decades.  Hopefully, the Baylor situation will make make it less commonplace.

Edit:  I have three daughters.  My oldest graduated from AU and was a hostess for the swim team and conducted campus tours for prospective high school students.  She was inappropriately approached mulitple times by football players and when she got offended and told them to F off, they were offended because they were football players.

Guess I might not 100%  blame the football players ....at some schools...maybe a lot of schools.... it appears that some coaches imply that co-eds are part of the benefit package and some young male athletes can probably be expected to try and take full advantage of their scholarships and standing on campus...and might not be used to hearing the word "no"...or paying any attention to it. 

The list of schools with sexual exploitation issues involving athletes is getting pretty long and includes some well respected schools....fortunately Auburn is not among them. 

11 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

wde  

I have 2 daughters myself (8 yr old twins) and as of right now I have zero desire for them to go to ANY big time college or university (yes, even AU) because of just simply what seems "accepted" in today's young society, much less this type behavior from grown men (& perhaps women too) who allow this type behavior for the sake of "winning" added on top if that.

The crap you see online (even YouTube) might be entertaining to many but to fathers (especially of daughters) it's scary as hell!

Wow... there are some pretty big leaps being made here.

First, every school for as long as I can remember has pushed the beautiful girls angle. We talk about it here all of the time. Auburn has beautiful girls on campus and guys find that to be a draw. That does not in any way mean that the athletic program is "pimping out" the girls, just like it doesn't mean that other athletic programs, like Baylor, are "pimping out" their girls. We currently live in a society that promotes sex as common and even expected in dating and the fact that some guys, especially guys who aren't used to being told no, take it way too far in no way means that the school, AD, or anyone else is promoting that behavior. What we are dealing with is a systematic cover-up of the wrong doing of athletes, to protect the program and the school's reputation, not the intentional exploitation of women.

Second, as has been said ad nauseum, no one has shown any evidence, to date, that Briles covered up sexual assault. They've shown that he covered up other far more minor things, and they've shown that other people covered up sexual assault, but as of yet, no one has provided public evidence that Briles is any worse than the majority of football coaches out there. In fact, of the evidence presented, he seems like the closest to "good guy" of the group, because he's noted as recommending the police be involved in every serious case he is connected to. The AD, the president, and their on-call lawyer on the other hand... If the evidence is true, those guys are the worst kind of trash. Until an example is released of Briles actually doing the dirty work, people should refrain from the hyperbole about his lack of character. We, as a society, have become far to quick to draw conclusions about people and project malfeasance, even when it's not there, because something less troublesome, but still wrong, is true.

Finally... kudos to @AlaskanFAN for an extremely well thought out and nuanced post. He's right, Baylor is the school du jour to be made an example of, and Art's reputation is shot no matter how culpable he actually is.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 4:10 PM, Charleston Tiger said:

No way would I want Dabo.

Dabo would come to Auburn and destroy us by having 3-4 ugly seasons and walking away with bucket full of $$$$$$ while walking away with his bammer underwear.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:41 AM, bigbird said:

Do you think Saban or Urban are good coaches? 

nope

Kiffin has turned uat's offense around. They have been scoring points like crazy during the 3 years he was there.Art could have done the same for us, but Jacobs and others said oh no. Art has a dirty past and we don't dare want him on the Plains.

Archived