WBB vs. Troy

jared52

Opening game for the ladies as they face Troy. Troy opened the scoring with a 17 footer, then AU rattled off the next 8 (2 were 3 pointers, one off the glass). 

AU just called for a charge where the defender was directly under the goal. Do the ladies not have the arc for charges?

Stopped posting while we ate dinner, but the game is back and forth so far. AU ended the 1st quarter with a couple of 3s off steals. The 2nd quarter has seen Troy stick in it despite turning the ball over a few times. Troy's coach just got a tech (Frerking hit both FTs) and it's 27-24 AU with 4:11 to go in the half.

AU has a 3 on 1 break and Sanders takes a wild shot instead of giving it up for the easy 2. She misses and Troy breaks back and gets 2. 31-26 AU

Not sure why Coach Flo has left Sanders in the game as much as she has. She has made a LOT of poor decisions, capped off by a bad pass to the opposite block that's easily intercepted and turned into 3 for Troy on the other end.

The half ends with AU holding on to a 4 point lead.

Well, updated my Macbook and that took a while. AU is up 45-33 after some good, swallowing defense. I see now why Flo wants Sanders on the floor. At the top of the 3/4 court 1-2-2, she's everywhere.

Troy battling back right now though. 

AU gets a steal, Montgomery misses the hesitation layup, but Frerking follows it up for 2. AU gets another steal and Montgomery hits the layup on the long pass. 

54-45 AU.

AU still can't hit anything outside a layup. Troy comes down and gets a 3.

54-47 AU

AU responds with a layup on the other end.

56-47 AU

AU then takes a charge.

It's a race to see who can get to 30 turnovers right now. AU drives though and gets fouled. McKay hits the first. Misses the second.

57-47 AU

AU with a steal and a basket.

59-47 AU 1:18 to go.

That will do it for the opener. AU wins a messy one 61-52. AU seems to have a deep enough bench to play high pressure defense for a good bit of the game. Can't have those long stretches of bad shooting from the field though as they won't get as many fast break points against better teams.

Good start though. On to the men's game.

8 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Saunders gets her first 2 as a Tiger on a layup off a steal.

61-49 AU

Sanders is a sophomore.  She played last year

4 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Sanders is a sophomore.  She played last year

My bad, I had her confused with Johnson from Austin HS who played a fair amount to night as well. Thanks for the correction.

Archived