AUF Anglers

I started a thread recently, but zapped it because I included my face. If you were (un)lucky enough to catch a glimpse of my mug, I'm sorry. 

Anyway. 

Let's talk fishing. Fresh or salt. All species. Bank or boat. What are you guys throwing, what kind of advice can you provide? Pics encouraged!

I strictly target largemouth bass. So let's get this thread going with a giant bass I wrangled in yesterday in 40 degree temperature:

H2lgypX.jpg

@SaltyTiger @AUFAN78 tagging you guys because I know you fish regularly. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 2

LOVE to fish. Prefer Crappie and bream. Pretty much a catch and release guy. Even if I catch nothing.....I enjoy sitting on the bank or pier and taking my chances. Very restful to me. 

• Like 1

LOVE to fish. Prefer Crappie and bream. Pretty much a catch and release guy. Even if I catch nothing.....I enjoy sitting on the bank or pier and taking my chances. Very restful to me. 

Favorite time of year to fish is right now because it is December now. In July my favorite time to fish will be July. Love bass, crappie, bream, lived in Auburn most of my working career and enjoyed several good places fish. In Mexico Beach FL now and if you aren't catching fish here you don't have a hook in the water. In the market for a boat as I type. Think i have decided on something like a skiff for inshore and fresh water. Off shore is fun but that opportunity is always available here with experience at the helm.

Have been doing a lot of surf, bay, sound fishing. Lot of whiting,pampano, sharks, redfish. One thing about the surf fishing here is that you had better be prepared for anything.

Last week end saw a guy catch a 10' Hammer Head and 6' Tiger Shark up on PC Beach. He is a pro at it. measures, records male/female and tags the sharks for Noah. He caught a Bull off Mexico Beach 6 years ago and landed the same shark earlier this year in PC. Word to the wise. He baits his line with stingray or bonita, paddles his kayak out 500 yards and drops the line. Pretty close to home. He says the sharks rarely cross the sandbars where people swim.

Edited by SaltyTiger
  • Like 3

I spent a week in Indian Pass this Summer (right down the beach from Salty).  The kids and I had a blast catching whiting when the catfish didn't get the bait first.

It's trout season in Oklahoma, so they are my main target right now. Trout never crossed my mind when I lived in the south, but they have become one of my favorite fish.  You can't beat a tasty fish that literally takes seconds to clean.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AuburnSoldier said:

I spent a week in Indian Pass this Summer (right down the beach from Salty).  The kids and I had a blast catching whiting when the catfish didn't get the bait first.

It's trout season in Oklahoma, so they are my main target right now. Trout never crossed my mind when I lived in the south, but they have become one of my favorite fish.  You can't beat a tasty fish that literally takes seconds to clean.

Apparently the game warden stocked some trout in a pond I fish regularly last week. What's their primary bait? I've never attempted to catch trout. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

Fished a tourny at Lay Lake day after Thanksgiving. Caught them on swim jig, jerkbait and flipping soft plastics. I think we had 43 boats and my partner and I finished 7th with 12.97.  Very tough bite for us and most although we did lose a nice one early on the swim jig and two late in the day flipping. I think it took 17lbs to win with 13.98 taking 2nd place. Not sure how or what the winner caught them on, but a friend weighed in all (5 fish) spotted bass to take 2nd. He caught them on spooks, jerkbaits and shaky heads. Word is the Alabama rig, which I despise, is hot. 

• Like 1

I do a good bit of crappie fishing at Logan Martin. Primarily shooting docks with 1/16oz Garland jigs. This is a great time to catch them as is the spring. Also enjoy a trip or two in the spring to Lake Purdy fishing with telescopic poles and minnows. Serious crappie in that little lake.

My love is bass tournaments and I typically fish them from fall thru May with December being my favorite month. Then I spend time with the fam and friends at the pool. Well, and the golf course.

Typically make a couple charter trips out of Panama City or Destin each summer with friends. My neighbor has a condo in Destin with a 26' Grady White and we try and go a couple times a year as well. 

Made quite a few charter trips to Mexico beach around the first of July for tarpon. My personal best was right at 200lbs. 45 minute fight all caught on video. I was a whipped pup at the end with my buddy pouring multiple bottles of cold water on my head. Caught plenty in the 100lb class and much more enjoyable.

Tight lines!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

I do a good bit of crappie fishing at Logan Martin. Primarily shooting docks with 1/16oz Garland jigs. This is a great time to catch them as is the spring. Also enjoy a trip or two in the spring to Lake Purdy fishing with telescopic poles and minnows. Serious crappie in that little lake.

My love is bass tournaments and I typically fish them from fall thru May with December being my favorite month. Then I spend time with the fam and friends at the pool. Well, and the golf course.

Typically make a couple charter trips out of Panama City or Destin each summer with friends. My neighbor has a condo in Destin with a 26' Grady White and we try and go a couple times a year as well. 

Made quite a few charter trips to Mexico beach around the first of July for tarpon. My personal best was right at 200lbs. 45 minute fight all caught on video. I was a whipped pup at the end with my buddy pouring multiple bottles of cold water on my head. Caught plenty in the 100lb class and much more enjoyable.

Tight lines!

Why is December your favorite month to fish? I've found that when the temp finally decided to nosedive, the bite drop off has been drastic. I'm still going 2-4 times a week, but the size and frequency of catches has dropped tremendously. It's forcing me to fish finesse, and I really love power fishing a crankbait. 

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Why is December your favorite month to fish? I've found that when the temp finally decided to nosedive, the bite drop off has been drastic. I'm still going 2-4 times a week, but the size and frequency of catches has dropped tremendously. It's forcing me to fish finesse, and I really love power fishing a crankbait. 

As long as the water temps stay at or above roughly 47 degrees the bass eat really well in Alabama. Can't speak so much to other areas as I tend to stay close to home. The bass set up well for shallow fishing. Jigs, bladed jigs, spinnerbaits, swim baits, shallow cranks, jerkbaits and flipping grass with plastics. The best fishing for me starts in December and runs thru March. Again, just sets up well for the way I like to fish. Look for any grass, rock or wood and get busy!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

As long as the water temps stay at or above roughly 47 degrees the bass eat really well in Alabama. Can't speak so much to other areas as I tend to stay close to home. The bass set up well for shallow fishing. Jigs, bladed jigs, spinnerbaits, swim baits, shallow cranks, jerkbaits and flipping grass with plastics. The best fishing for me starts in December and runs thru March. Again, just sets up well for the way I like to fish. Look for any grass, rock or wood and get busy!

Unfortunately, the ponds I fish in rarely have any lay downs or other structure that's easily accessed from the bank(which is the only way I can fish right now). 

I tried a jig with a craw trailer yesterday for a little bit. Boy, that was boring. I lasted about 30 minutes before tying the crankbait back on. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Unfortunately, the ponds I fish in rarely have any lay downs or other structure that's easily accessed from the bank(which is the only way I can fish right now). 

I tried a jig with a craw trailer yesterday for a little bit. Boy, that was boring. I lasted about 30 minutes before tying the crankbait back on. 

Yeah you are at a big disadvantage from the bank, but better than not fishing!  It is not uncommon for me to run 20 or 30 miles fishing certain stretches of bank with laydowns stopping at a rocky point or prime grasspatch along the way. I fish the jig with a 7' heavy action rod with 20lb fluorocarbon line. I make short underhand pitches for accuracy hitting the sweet spot of my target. It's quick and effective allowing me to cover water which is a big advantage in tournament fishing. Also offers the opportunity to burn $50 of gas. LOL. But hey, it's what I do.

If I were you, fishing ponds, I'd likely try various cranks that dive different depths. Speed of retrieve could be a key. I'd slow way down and then go slower. 

23 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I started a thread recently, but zapped it because I included my face. If you were (un)lucky enough to catch a glimpse of my mug, I'm sorry. 

Anyway. 

Let's talk fishing. Fresh or salt. All species. Bank or boat. What are you guys throwing, what kind of advice can you provide? Pics encouraged!

I strictly target largemouth bass. So let's get this thread going with a giant bass I wrangled in yesterday in 40 degree temperature:

H2lgypX.jpg

@SaltyTiger @AUFAN78 tagging you guys because I know you fish regularly. 

BTW, thanks for starting this thread. I hope autigeremt sees the thread and contributes some of his knowledge as he is a good fisherman. 

13 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Yeah you are at a big disadvantage from the bank, but better than not fishing!  It is not uncommon for me to run 20 or 30 miles fishing certain stretches of bank with laydowns stopping at a rocky point or prime grasspatch along the way. I fish the jig with a 7' heavy action rod with 20lb fluorocarbon line. I make short underhand pitches for accuracy hitting the sweet spot of my target. It's quick and effective allowing me to cover water which is a big advantage in tournament fishing. Also offers the opportunity to burn $50 of gas. LOL. But hey, it's what I do.

If I were you, fishing ponds, I'd likely try various cranks that dive different depths. Speed of retrieve could be a key. I'd slow way down and then go slower. 

I'm using an H2O Express lipless ghost shad rat l trap almost exclusively. The one in the pic above is on my dad's rig because my wife took my car that day, and I keep all my gear in there at all times.

I mix up the retrieval speeds, but since I learned more about bass behavior in the winter I'm usually medium or slow cranking it. I'll even jig it every now and then in hopes of getting a reaction strike.

A little fishing history about myself, I used to fish all the time after school from about 12-15 years old. Then I stopped in high school and didn't even touch a fishing rod until about 3 months ago, 15+ years later. Back then I didn't really take the science of fishing seriously, just tie on a plastic Zoom and see what happens. So now I'm taking it quite a bit more seriously.

I would also like to add...

Do the fallen leaves drive everyone crazy too? I can't count the number of times I've thought I had bite only to realize I have a giant leaf attached to my treble. Not only does it fake me out, but it's a wasted cast AND I have to take the extra minimal amount of time ripping the leaf off and throwing it on the ground.

14 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Apparently the game warden stocked some trout in a pond I fish regularly last week. What's their primary bait? I've never attempted to catch trout. 

Minnows, salmon eggs, meal worms, and various Berkeley and Gulp products replicating them. 

Our trout are stocked by the state as well. I fish for them in a creek, but I'm sure they bite the same stuff in a pond.  I've had the best luck with a floating powerbait about 18inches off the bottom. Use small hooks and light line (or snell). No need to set the hook. When they grab it, start reeling. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

78 will probably agree that when you locate fish in cold weather months you are in for a big day numbers wise and variety. Had some of my best days ever on West Point Lake and Martin in the winter months as well as a club lake that we have in Auburn. Down here ( Mexico Beach it is the same way on the bay and Intercoastal + fewer biting insects to deal with). Best days seem to be the rainy dreary type when the family thinks you are crazy for going.

As far as Trout Bait - Try the Gulp trout bait. I used to get it at Academy in Auburn.Thinking it emulates Salmon eggs. We stocked Trout in the winter at the Auburn club lake and they loved it. rig like you do for bottom bream fishing.

BTW - some fun fishing down on the surf is early morning light spinning gear using a pampano jig with a piece of Gulp fish bite on it, especially mid February and March. Lots of fish surprisingly in close including flounder. Granted you hook something every now and then that light line want handle but what the heck. Save the big surf rig and casting way out for the afternoon when enjoying a beverage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuburnSoldier said:

Minnows, salmon eggs, meal worms, and various Berkeley and Gulp products replicating them. 

Our trout are stocked by the state as well. I fish for them in a creek, but I'm sure they bite the same stuff in a pond.  I've had the best luck with a floating powerbait about 18inches off the bottom. Use small hooks and light line (or snell). No need to set the hook. When they grab it, start reeling. 

Okay. I actually remember a fishing field trip in 1st or 2nd grade that may have been at a trout pond. I distinctly remember using red fish eggs as bait. Although we could've been catching bluegill. 

I was told that the warden is watching both of the stocked ponds like a hawk for anyone specifically targeting the trout. He'll approach the angler and look through their tackle to make sure they're not using any trout fishing gear. And I guess issue a ticket if you don't have a trout stamp on your fishing license--but I wasn't aware that you needed an extra stamp for specific breeds. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

You can also catch Trout on whole kernel corn.  Just put a piece on your hook, and have fun.

I love to Crappie fish, and mostly use Bobby Garland Monkey Milk on an 1/32nd head.  Love to shoot docks and work around bridge pilings.

My Son and I fish bass tournaments as often as we can.  He is all about the shaky head, while I'm still a fan of the good ole Texas rig.  I agree with previous posters that right now is one of my favorite times to be on the water.  If you find the fish you will usually have a really good day, and there aren't as many boats on the water.  I like to throw a square bill now that the water has cooled down and the fish aren't as deep.

Nice thread BTW!

• Like 2

Appreciate you starting this! Fishing is what makes my soul complete. I could literally do it every day.....seriously. And while I usually target largemouth and spotted bass I'll also go after striped bass, hybrids, crappie, bedding bluegill, trout and big catfish. It's a passion that was handed down to me by my grandfather. 

I currently fish with the Auburn Bassmasters (finished 2nd in the Angler of the Year for 2016). We are the first club started with official BASS ties. Ray Scott has a direct connection to our club and several of our older anglers. I'm also entered in the Big Bucks Bass Trail out of Sylacauga Marine and the Bass Pro Shops Big Fish Trail that starts up this year. I also salt water fish as much as I am able. 

I'd have to say that my strengths are flipping jigs, casting square bills/lipless crank baits and ripping spinnerbaits. My weaknesses are deep water cranking and some finesse styles but I'm working on those. I got a lot better this year with the drop shot in deep water. 

And yes....this is the best time year. 

Edited by autigeremt
  • Like 2

On December 7, 2016 at 6:36 PM, AUFAN78 said:

Fished a tourny at Lay Lake day after Thanksgiving. Caught them on swim jig, jerkbait and flipping soft plastics. I think we had 43 boats and my partner and I finished 7th with 12.97.  Very tough bite for us and most although we did lose a nice one early on the swim jig and two late in the day flipping. I think it took 17lbs to win with 13.98 taking 2nd place. Not sure how or what the winner caught them on, but a friend weighed in all (5 fish) spotted bass to take 2nd. He caught them on spooks, jerkbaits and shaky heads. Word is the Alabama rig, which I despise, is hot. 

I don't own an Alabama rig......hard headed I guess but if the Elites can't use them neither will I. I've been hammering them on Martin and West Point lately. Especially Martin. 

12 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I don't own an Alabama rig......hard headed I guess but if the Elites can't use them neither will I. I've been hammering them on Martin and West Point lately. Especially Martin. 

I had never heard of an A rig until the last couple weeks when I saw people posting about them and YouTube folks breaking them out. 

It looks ridiculous, and I'm sure that I'll never even attempt to use one. 

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

I had never heard of an A rig until the last couple weeks when I saw people posting about them and YouTube folks breaking them out. 

It looks ridiculous, and I'm sure that I'll never even attempt to use one. 

It was conceived from billfish rigs and it works to catch fish. If you need table fair they will fill a live well but I don't use them. I do use a spinnerbait with three and four blades every now and then but it's one single hook (unless I have a trailer hook on it ).