SEC in Bowls

looney

I felt like this was worth a discussion since we generally (I think) believe the SEC is down this year and we had our first two bowl games today.

Miss. St. barely beat Miami (OH) on a blocked FG and Vandy is struggling vs. NC State.

I know none of this really means much but, well, it's bowl season. It's all we've got. Discuss, if you want.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched most of State''s game today. For Miami it turned out to be a question I got it, you take it. Anybody looking for a job as Special Teams coach? I think Miami may have an opening.

How did this kid look like Aaron Rodgers against us? Holy crap. Looks like Vandy was just excited to go to a bowl game.

ACC has given SEC a hard time this year...looks like more of the same..... 

Lol. Vandy lost by 24 to NC St. Miss St was a blocked fg away from losing to Miami....OF OHIO!  It's not much to go on, but it's a horrendous start to bowl season for the SEC thus far.  I predict 3-3 headed into Saturday. Also predict 5-7 or 6-6 after Monday. Not feeling the strong SEC this year...

Gotta wonder if the teams want to play the games...sure they enjoy the parties and the bling....but looks like most were hoping they could then go home for Christmas and skip the football game..

39 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Hope every SEC team but AU gets drilled this bowl season. 

Lol...I feel you on this one

I have wondered for a long time when it became the politically correct thing to say you pull for the SEC when talking to a fan of another school and I think it's funny to see a few here talking about how they don't care if the SEC wins (which I think is probably the opinion of most fans).  I generally do pull for the conference as a whole because it does help AU in terms of the quality of opponents, but my priorities are being an Auburn fan, not an SEC fan.  There is one school in particular I will NEVER cheer for, regardless of the implications. It gets so old hearing, "Well I pull for Auburn when they're not playing Alabama..." We don't need or want you to pull for us.  Thanks and WDE.  

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Hope every SEC team but AU gets drilled this bowl season. 

Amen to this, especially the turds.  I don't care who beats them as long one of those teams does and they all have the offenses to give bama trouble, even Washington.  If Washington can fend off the bama DL and blitz, their passing attack could shred the bama D.  They probably won't, but I think OSU or Clemson will beat them...

I've never been an SEC guy.  I've always been an Auburn fan.  I couldn't care less what the rest of the conference does in any sport.  Well, scratch that, I do care....a little.  I want them all to lose every non-conference game they play in every sport they participate in.  When it comes to conference play, I want everybody to beat florida and uat, every time.

I have a solution that makes sense if you judge it for what it is and nothing more;

Why not do away with all bowl games and set up an 8 team playoff or even a 10 team playoff. Let all bowls that are interested in hosting one of the playoff games bid a dollar amount that they will pay out in order to  host one of the playoff games. The highest bidders will win a spot to host a playoff game. This will never happen in a million light years though! Just having a little eggnog moment tonight!  

14 hours ago, WarTiger said:

I've never been an SEC guy.  I've always been an Auburn fan.  I couldn't care less what the rest of the conference does in any sport.  Well, scratch that, I do care....a little.  I want them all to lose every non-conference game they play in every sport they participate in.  When it comes to conference play, I want everybody to beat florida uga and uat, every time.

Agree except I put uga in instead of UF. I'm ok with UF but hate me some fsu. Since we are both from the same town you had to draw a line in the sand with UF and fsu. The fsu folks are very much like the uat folks. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Agree except I put uga in instead of UF. I'm ok with UF but hate me some fsu. Since we are both from the same town you had to draw a line in the sand with UF and fsu. The fsu folks are very much like the uat folks. 

If you were an AU fan who grew up in TLH in the 80's like I did, you very much hate FSU football.

And I have to walk past that life size picture of the 2013 TD catch at least once a week in their Athletic Complex.

32 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

And I have to walk past that life size picture of the 2013 TD catch at least once a week in their Athletic Complex.

It's for this reason I hate the Cam to Kelvin Benjamin combo with the Panthers.  

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Oh, I was just speaking on the conference teams.  i LOATHE fsu.  I don't want them to ever win a game in any sport either.  When they play florida, I will typically pull against the one that has the most to lose.  The higher ranked team, just to knock them down.   I HATE FSU with an absolute passion. The 3 I hate the most in all of sports are uat, florida and fsu.  I'll only want florida or fsu to win if they play uat,  When any of those 3 matchup, I will typically be a little satisfied because I know one of them is going to lose.

19 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Just my opinion, but Washington doesn't have it to beat bama.   OSU doesn't have the QB to beat them.   Only chance is Clemson.   

Idk? Washington has the passing attack to give bama DBs some trouble, but do they have the OL to fend off the bama DL.  Some say that their OL is one of the best in the PAC12, but is that good enough??  Having watched them a few times I think they can hang with bama, question is can it be sustained 4 quarters.  I could see it a similar game to bama/Ole Miss this year.

OSU has a QB that can run which can be effective against the turds, and OSU will have the OL/DL to fend them off.  Clemson has the all around best shot I think and are probably better than they were last year, IF Clemson plays a good game, no turnovers, they could/would beat bama this year, imo.

35 minutes ago, tgr4lfe said:

Idk? Washington has the passing attack to give bama DBs some trouble, but do they have the OL to fend off the bama DL.  Some say that their OL is one of the best in the PAC12, but is that good enough??  Having watched them a few times I think they can hang with bama, question is can it be sustained 4 quarters.  I could see it a similar game to bama/Ole Miss this year.

OSU has a QB that can run which can be effective against the turds, and OSU will have the OL/DL to fend them off.  Clemson has the all around best shot I think and are probably better than they were last year, IF Clemson plays a good game, no turnovers, they could/would beat bama this year, imo.

UA will beat Washington bad. Something like they did to Mich State last year. OSU offense has looked extremely pedestrian down the stretch, so not sure about them or Clemson.

Two years in a row the 4th team in the playoff seems to be not on the same level as the other 3, so clamoring to expand to 8 teams or more will just dilute the games even more.

Archived