2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

I guess guys say that whose coach landed Cam Newton, Nick Marshall and now Stidham. Is there some kind of asterisk beside the games we won with these QB's? I haven't noticed that.

He didn’t get them the first go around is the point. He hasn’t gotten the guys when the recruiting is at its hardest and hasn’t been able to make the first impressions to get the top flight QBs to come here. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Mikey said:

There are none, In fact, Gus loses many, many more recruits than he lands. Watson to Fields and every year in between AU has been in the driver's seat for four or more of the top five QB's in the nation and Gus bungles it at the last minute. It's a wonder we can even field 20 or so guys to have a team. The team we have this year, they all just came here because they love Auburn. Gus had nothing to do with it. In fact, they are all walkons who enrolled at AU and decided to play football here in spite of Gus. Forget that a high percentage of today's players say that Gus was the main factor in their coming here, that can't possibly be correct, right? I mean what do the players themselves know about it?

Now, about that "rumor" rule: Is there a link somewhere, anywhere but on this message board, that indicates Auburn was ever leading for Fields? I never saw it. Would also appreciate a link on how we have done something horrible and have now lost Young Master Nix. I call BS on that, since he was at the game today. So I'd like a link explaining just what evil thing we did. Otherwise it's just a self-serving rumor.

This has to be one of the dumbest post I've read on here. If you can't answer the question, then just admit it. I'll wait for you to attempt to answer it again.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This has to be one of the dumbest post I've read on here. If you can't answer the question, then just admit it. I'll wait for you to attempt to answer it again.

I answered the question. Read the first three words in my "dumbest ever" post.

Just now, Mikey said:

I answered the question. Read the first three words in my "dumbest ever" post.

So you admit he hasn't, then follow it up with a trite diatribe in an effort to downplay your answer. Gotcha.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You just sound bitter

Bitter? Why should I be bitter? I was never on the "The best QB in the history of high school football is a lock to AU" train. I'd just like to see one site, other than this one, that ever said AU was leading for Fields. The bitter people here are the ones that invested their hopes and dreams in the idea that a player from the state of Georgia, with a sister at UGA and a mother that openly favored UGA was leaning to Auburn.

56 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

He didn’t get them the first go around is the point. He hasn’t gotten the guys when the recruiting is at its hardest and hasn’t been able to make the first impressions to get the top flight QBs to come here. 

"At this point, what difference does it make?" (Quote from a failed politician) Again, unless there is some asterisk beside the games won by transfer QB's there is no difference.

23 hours ago, bigbird said:

That's credits his recruitment to his relationship with Lashlee...

So, Stidham is playing at UCONN? Who knew?

All is this talk seems so crazy to me. 23 was the only one that said we lead for JF. Everybody else said they didn't believe him. Now because many of you don't like Gus you come back and say oh we lead for him and Gus blew it. We are rolling on Off. right now. Ga. only had 102 yards passing yesterday and FSU stinks. As I have said before if all of you are correct about us playing our way out of it with him then we should be able to play our way back in. I asked this question before but what else can Gus do to get people off his back. I didn't like the way we played early on but I will say there were more factors in that the than Gus's coaching  (not to say he didn't have a big part in it). But if you blame him for all that then you have to give him credit for the turn around. Unless you have just made up your mind and won't change it. 

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So, Stidham is playing at UCONN? Who knew?

Because Rhett was at UConn while building the relationship and recruiting JS, right?  

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

"At this point, what difference does it make?" (Quote from a failed politician) Again, unless there is some asterisk beside the games won by transfer QB's there is no difference.

No one said there was? We aren’t talking about W’s and L’s here, we’re talking about the ability to close the deal on the big time HS QB’s we’ve had chances with. Key word is Highschool.

Just now, bigbird said:

Because Rhett was at UConn while building the relationship and recruiting JS? Come on!

If Rhett, not Gus, is responsible for which school Stidham chose, as you stated, then Stidham would be at Rhett's school, which is currently UCONN. What you're presenting is just another twisting of facts to support the "Gus sucks" argument, an argument which many find to be so pleasing. Stidham could have chosen virtually any school in the nation. He chose Auburn and Gus while knowing full well that Lashlee was moving on. I understand that it's disappointing that this doesn't fit the "Gus sucks" model, but it is what it is.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If Rhett, not Gus, is responsible for which school Stidham chose, as you stated, then Stidham would be at Rhett's school, which is currently UCONN. What you're presenting is just another twisting of facts to support the "Gus sucks" argument, an argument which many find to be so pleasing. Stidham could have chosen virtually any school in the nation. He chose Auburn and Gus while knowing full well that Lashlee was moving on. I understand that it's disappointing that this doesn't fit the "Gus sucks" model, but it is what it is.

Wrong. Players commit to a school, not a coach. That's why players remain at schools during coaching changes and such. In fact, most recruiters specifically tell recruits to commit to the school.

Another thing, JS was told by all involved that Kendall Briles was going to be the OC. In fact, Gus had a meeting with Rhett and the Stidhams assuring him that KB would be the OC after Rhett was replaced. JJ balked at that and JS almost committed to TAMU. Chip was brought in and Chip, not Gus, had to sell JS on coming to AU. The Stidhams felt lied to and Chip had to put out those fires. I'm sorry those FACTS don't bolster your "Gus is the greatest ever" argument.

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Wrong. Players commit to a school, not a coach. That's why players remain at schools during coaching changes and such. In fact, most recruiters specifically tell recruits to commit to the school.

Another thing, JS was told by all involved that Kendall Briles was going to be the OC. In fact, Gus had a meeting with Rhett and the Stidhams assuring him that KB would be the OC after Rhett was replaced. JJ balked at that and JS almost committed to TAMU. Chip was brought in and Chip, not Gus, had to sell JS on coming to AU. The Stidhams felt lied to and Chip had to put out those fires. I'm sorry those FACTS don't bolster your "Gus is the greatest ever" argument.

This sounds eerily similar to the "Gus had to work hard to sell Chizik on taking Cam"  tales from some years back. Of course, back then it was Hate on Chizik time and Gus was the genius. Once again, AU's head coach is claimed to be the dumbest dipstick around and if not for brilliant assistants and some mysterious All Powerful Being that must hide in the Samford Hall clock tower and dictate play calls, we'd never win a game.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This sounds eerily similar to the "Gus had to work hard to sell Chizik on taking Cam"  tales from some years back. Of course, back then it was Hate on Chizik time and Gus was the genius. Once again, AU's head coach is claimed to be the dumbest dipstick around and if not for brilliant assistants and some mysterious All Powerful Being that must hide in the Samford Hall clock tower and dictate play calls, we'd never win a game.

Similar in what way?  One was clueless about a player and one didn't follow up on a promise that was made. Gus lost credibility with the Stidhams after JJ balked, fair or not. Chip came in and secured JS after selling him on his offense...not Gus'.

On 10/7/2017 at 7:49 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Lol. Fields was AU's to lose and we screwed up. Plain and simple. Even 23 who is a huge Gus fan said the same. 

We doing ting the same with another QB. One from the Bham area. And that info isn't because of my dislike for Gus. Straight from the high school coaching ranks. And the AU coaches know this also. On damage control with the kid now. Thanks to people like me who relay info like this to the right people. Even if we dislike the coach or not. 

How are screwing it up with the young kid? Not that I'm doubting. Because our play on the field is going pretty well despite the slow start to playcalling in the first two games. QB is effective and efficient. Off the field must be an issue, Horton is his primary recruiter and Chip is the position coach. It's strange. 

On 10/7/2017 at 7:24 AM, Barnacle said:

Smart is building a monster in Athens. 

He was always a heck of a recruiter. 

We have to beat him on the field this year to help our cause. 

18 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

How are screwing it up with the young kid? Not that I'm doubting. Because our play on the field is going pretty well despite the slow start to playcalling in the first two games. QB is effective and efficient. Off the field must be an issue, Horton is his primary recruiter and Chip is the position coach. It's strange. 

Think of it this way. We were given a 3-4 week window to prove what we had been telling him about our "new" offense to be true. We ran our old offense the 1st two weeks and looked incompetent the 3rd. By that time, the window had closed.  We had a chance, we didn't do what we had told him we would do offensively and now he is committed to UGA.

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Think of it this way. We were given a 3-4 week window to prove what we had been telling him about our "new" offense to be true. We ran our old offense the 1st two weeks and looked incompetent the 3rd. By that time, the window had closed.  We had a chance, we didn't do what we had told him we would do offensively and now he is committed to UGA.

Fromm passed for 84 and 102 yards the last 2 weeks. IDK why they get a pass for basically running the 2013 AU offense with less zone reads.  He was just looking for any excuse to go to georgia at this point. Momma won out. We always were told she was a big pups fan and dad was the one who was open minded. I am just mad there were a much different higher standards for us than georgia who NO ONE would mistake for running the air raid offense this year. Stidham has over 400 more yards passing yards than fromm.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Gotcha, but what about Nix? How are we screwing that one up?

Just follow the Nix visits. He has been to Auburn 2 straight weeks. Fields visited us once we know for sure and maybe another secret visit and that is it. I would have to think he liked our passing performance the last 2 weeks.

3 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Gotcha, but what about Nix? How are we screwing that one up?

I haven talked to anyone about the Nix situation. I can't speculate on it.

6 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

He was always a heck of a recruiter. 

We have to beat him on the field this year to help our cause. 

I'm convinced we saved/extended Richts time at UGA several years by laying eggs in years we should've beaten him. We started the same trend with KS last year. We REALLY need to reverse that trend this year and the next couple. 

20 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I'm convinced we saved/extended Richts time at UGA several years by laying eggs in years we should've beaten him. We started the same trend with KS last year. We REALLY need to reverse that trend this year and the next couple. 

I think you're right. This game is a must win for gUS.  I could care less about CGM. This one will mean more in terms of recruiting, program direction, bragging rights, successful season... this year than in the past. A win over UGA propels us into a national title contender IF we can get past the games we should win. 

Archived