2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

We played our way out of it the first 2-3 games.  The games after that we’re probably irrelevant.  If the kid is deciding in December he may have made up his mind and we could be out.

In the first game Our moron head coach played our 4th string walk-on QB when he should have played Malik and let him run the passing offense. Same goes for 3rd game.  Malik should have been throwing the ball and should have played more. 

Gus also should have been using our backup RB’s and letting our 2 injured starters sit more or a lot more.

im as irritated with gus this year as I ever have been.  I’d they can’t trust the back up Qb and Rb then they were the wrong kids or aren’t coaching them.  Both are on the head coach.

if we had put up miss st type passing on our 2 cup cakes, including letting our backup zing it then the last couple games may have made a bigger difference to JF

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

We played our way out of it the first 2-3 games.  The games after that we’re probably irrelevant.  If the kid is deciding in December he may have made up his mind and we could be out.

In the first game Our moron head coach played our 4th string walk-on QB when he should have played Malik and let him run the passing offense. Same goes for 3rd game.  Malik should have been throwing the ball and should have played more. 

Gus also should have been using our backup RB’s and letting our 2 injured starters sit more or a lot more.

im as irritated with gus this year as I ever have been.  I’d they can’t trust the back up Qb and Rb then they were the wrong kids or aren’t coaching them.  Both are on the head coach.

if we had put up miss st type passing on our 2 cup cakes, including letting our backup zing it then the last couple games may have made a bigger difference to JF

We disagree on this one. I don't think we "played our way" out of anything. The closest we might come to that is the kid was looking for some excuse to blow our coaches off and he used the Clemson game to do that. If he was honestly interested in evaluating a team we'd still be in it with him. As to the other points, I've coached many teams (not at the college level) on which talented young players simply weren't ready early in their first season. Unless someone is at every practice and in every meeting they cannot say with any certainty exactly if or when a new player becomes ready for showtime.

I agree with you in the first part. He may have been more than happy to have an easy way to turn away from us.

my biggest beef about the players that haven’t played are more with the kids that have been here more than a year.  Barrett has enough trust by the coaches to play some in specific spots.  

A couple of those games were out of hand enough to play deeper down the roster and put KJ/Pettway on the shelf a little more.  

Refarding malik at qb ... would be a risk to put more on him but I think (particularly after what came to light about SW) auburn should have been less conservative in the game exposure for Malik.  It is apparent in hind sight that the coaches should have seen the that Malik had a high likelyhood of being Qb2 and should have given him more time in 2 of first 3 games and possibly more playbook in the last couple.

as relates to JF, the passing stats would have expanded - I’d assume.  That’s in combo with my opinion at the time that we should not have been vanilla first game - stidham and our OL needed the work.  

I’ll give Gus this ... apparently he thought conservative O with a solid D would put us in a position to win ... and we were.  If We score from the goal line those 2 times and if Mathews is able then scoop and score on the fumble we may win that game and that would completely blast my argument.

i have slowly moved away from the vanilla/conservative early in the year stuff.  I personally feel we would be overall better off in the long run as a team.

in this particular situation it may have helped us with a highly touted recruit.

17 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I’ll give Gus this ... apparently he thought conservative O with a solid D would put us in a position to win ... and we were.  If We score from the goal line those 2 times and if Mathews is able then scoop and score on the fumble we may win that game and that would completely blast my argument.

You don't have to give Gus that. That's giving him too much. If anything, a stout D allows us to take chances on offense. 

Two years in a row, he had a chance to knock off Clemson if he coaches with courage and belief in his players. Two years in a row, he didn't. 

Reading between the lines, but I don't think JF wants any part of competing with Joey Gatewood after seeing the talent that Joey is showing this season.  Joey, on the other hand, has no fear of competing with JF or anyone else and has said so repeatedly.   JF will undoubtedly go to UGA because that is where his mommy wants him to go, but he will sit on the bench for a year before transferring.  He can only hope UGA doesn't burn his RS year before he figures out he is not going to ever start at uga.

Jake Fromm on the season: 734 passing yards 8 tds and 2 int's. Jarrett Stidham Stats: 1,110 passing yards 5 tds and 2 int's. MAN!!! He must of really loved those 84 passing yards fromm put up against rocky top and that 85 bears like stealth defense they have up there this past weekend! lol. This just speaks even more to the people who have said we have been out of it for a long time. I personally do not think the clemson game even mattered now. I think all of that crap of how we would look this season with our passing offense was a load of crap and he was leaning to them long before the season began. When he did not stay overnight at his unofficial in the offseason and barely was here long enough for a cup of coffee THEN went to georgia and stayed the whole weekend that is when we should of known something was up. Am I salty?! Hell yah! Georgia makes the LEAST since out of all the schools he was considering and I hate bowl cut and those dog barking fans. I hate they whipped us. But I love Joey G and I think his upside is higher than fields.  I cannot wait for him to truck their defenders as he goes in to the endzone in a couple of years. WAR DAMN JOEY G!!!! Fields is the enemy now.

I haven't had a good feeling about this for some time now. I believe he ruled us out. Our staff has not pushed hard enough in recruiting Justin. It's like Joey Gatewood is the only QB they want and the hell with Fields. What do y'all think?

I would love for 23 to weigh in.

With all of JF’s trips to uga I would be inclined to think (UNFORTUNATELY- because I hate them more than @GwillMac6) that’s where he goes.

BUT would love it if he shocked everyone and picked AU - sources did say we was loving us and we just needed to show our offense off. Granted, it’s taken a few games to get going...but what if all of our sources are quiet because it is AU? 

Sigh, I just hate uga. 

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I haven't had a good feeling about this for some time now. I believe he ruled us out. Our staff has not pushed hard enough in recruiting Justin. It's like Joey Gatewood is the only QB they want and the hell with Fields. What do y'all think?

There is a limit to how hard any staff can "push". When a kid schedules a visit to Auburn then doesn't even stay the night before running off to another school, he's obviously not very interested in Auburn.

Seems obvious we’ve been out of it for quite a while.  Only place that said different was here. I don’t think what Stidham has or hasn’t done made one bit of difference. Oh well. 

Guys, get real! Let’s not act like Joey Gatewood has more upside than Fields. This kid is the real deal. It just shows you how good Kirby Smart can recruit. The kid grew up a fan of Auburn & Cam Newton, and we still couldn’t land him. 

First, Deshaun Watson and now Justin Fields. This one really hurts... especially losing him to the leg-bumpers.

Major Screw up.

I freaking hate Georgia. We're going to have to play this kid for four years. I want to beat them this year badly. 

2 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Guys, get real! Let’s not act like Joey Gatewood has more upside than Fields. This kid is the real deal. It just shows you how good Kirby Smart can recruit. The kid grew up a fan of Auburn & Cam Newton, and we still couldn’t land him. 

First, Deshaun Watson and now Justin Fields. This one really hurts... especially losing him to the leg-bumpers.

Fields came out of nowhere. Gatewood has been a major commodity for college coaches for years. Fields only held a offer from frickin Mercer up until spring of last year. Joey G is 6 ft 5 225 ish and built like a man already. He puts up greats stats even though his coach insists he splits the reps. It is totally valid because of his measurables to say he has a higher upside than fields. Is Fields better now? Yes.  ButLets see how this plays out. This is not over just because fields is the higher ranked player. I say Joey G is a starter before fields is because of who fields has in front of him. WAR DAMN JOEY G! Show some love to the kid who has been committed to us since he was a sophmore.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Fields came out of nowhere. Gatewood has been a major commodity for college coaches for years. Fields only held a offer from frickin Mercer up until spring of last year. Joey G is 6 ft 5 225 ish and built like a man already. He puts up greats stats even though his coach insists he splits the reps. It is totally valid because of his measurables to say he has a higher upside than fields. Is Fields better now? Yes.  ButLets see how this plays out. This is not over just because fields is the higher ranked player. I say Joey G is a starter before fields is because of who fields has in front of him. WAR DAMN JOEY G! Show some love to the kid who has been committed to us since he was a sophmore.

No, I don't believe GAtewood will be a starter before Fields. Mainly because I think Gatewood will need for passing seasoning I think.

The one area we as fans never know, is how a kid from HS transitions to a more complicated world of college offenses. It happens in college just as it does in the Pros. 

So I don't know really who will pan out. Maybe both. Remember we have WIllis who shows a true DT capability. I don't know that GA has this, so Fields could see early playing time just to run some other type plays.

Georgia bound. Let him go. He won't see the field until junior/senior year...I think. Unless he's just THAT good. I don't see him moving past their top 2 QB's but what do I know. 

Between Willis, Gatewood, and probably Nix, I actually feel comfortable about our future QB situation.  Fields would have been nice, but it's not a back breaker.  Plus, with Fromm tearing it up, I'm not sure he plays significantly until at least his RS SO year at UGA.

12 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Feel better?

I seriously doubted this kid was coming to Auburn . He might’ve considered it , especially with the Cam Newton relationship, but throughout his recruitment he didn’t seem all that involved . Clearly, he wanted to stay home, especially with the QB situation at UGA.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

I seriously doubted this kid was coming to Auburn . He might’ve considered it , especially with the Cam Newton relationship, but throughout his recruitment he didn’t seem all that involved . Clearly, he wanted to stay home, especially with the QB situation at UGA.

I completely agree, and I highly doubt that he would have come to Auburn anyways even had our offense been clicking on all cylinders from day 1. I just don't believe anyone who says we played ourselves out of this one. He was all Georgia from the beginning and I don't even believe we ever lead, despite what some Auburn people said to the contrary. 

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Jake Fromm on the season: 734 passing yards 8 tds and 2 int's. Jarrett Stidham Stats: 1,110 passing yards 5 tds and 2 int's. MAN!!! He must of really loved those 84 passing yards fromm put up against rocky top and that 85 bears like stealth defense they have up there this past weekend! lol. This just speaks even more to the people who have said we have been out of it for a long time. I personally do not think the clemson game even mattered now. I think all of that crap of how we would look this season with our passing offense was a load of crap and he was leaning to them long before the season began. When he did not stay overnight at his unofficial in the offseason and barely was here long enough for a cup of coffee THEN went to georgia and stayed the whole weekend that is when we should of known something was up. Am I salty?! Hell yah! Georgia makes the LEAST since out of all the schools he was considering and I hate bowl cut and those dog barking fans. I hate they whipped us. But I love Joey G and I think his upside is higher than fields.  I cannot wait for him to truck their defenders as he goes in to the endzone in a couple of years. WAR DAMN JOEY G!!!! Fields is the enemy now.

Even more incentive to rip UGA a new one!  It's on now! Now that he's on the other side....

giphy (1).gif

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Fields will start at UGA next year.

Sorry brother, I call BS on this one. He will not unseat Fromm, and neither will Eason. Eason will wind up transferring, and Fields will ride the pine for at least the next 2 years. 

Archived