Question on RB Recruiting

GwillMac6

So the RB recruiting drought we have been on this class got me curious. When is the last time it has been this long for us to have our first RB of the class on board? I did some research. AKA I went back and looked at the rivals commitment date of our past Rbs! lol It has not taken this long for our first RB of the class to be on board since the class of 2013 when CAP committed to AU in November of 2012. SO hey that turned out fantastic for us! In 2017 Alaric Williams was committed almost 2 years before signing day in the summer of 2015. Devan Barrett came aboard as well in July of 2016. In the 2016 class Malik Miller committed on June 12th. The 2015 class Kerryon popped for us in  April and Jovon came aboard only a month later. In the class of 2014 Bubba Pettway verbaled in march of 2013.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shivers has been on board since last year.  Seriously don't understand why everyone keeps over looking him.  No he won't be a 20 carry a game back but will do a lot of things for Chips offense.  Could be a dynamic playmaker.  

Just now, corchjay said:

Shivers has been on board since last year.  Seriously don't understand why everyone keeps over looking him.  No he won't be a 20 carry a game back but will do a lot of things for Chips offense.  Could be a dynamic playmaker.  

lol I seriously did forget about him!!! WOOPSY OOPSY daisies! I follow him on twitter and see his pro AU tweets everyday MUHHHHHHHH BAD.

Just now, ellitor said:

Shaun Shivers' primary position will be RB> He committed on October 26, 2016. Therefore the premise of this post is false.

hey hey NO NEED TO PILE ON FAM!!! the coach already got me on this! lol

I'm not that concerned with running back recruiting this year.  Take an elite guy or no one.  Don't settle for a backup guy because we will still have KJ, Miller, Martin, Barrett and Shivers all next year.  If we can get a top back take them but it's not a huge deal if we miss this year.  If we do we just have to make sure we get a big back next year.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

hey hey NO NEED TO PILE ON FAM!!! the coach already got me on this! lol

See edited post.

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

I'm not that concerned with running back recruiting this year.  Take an elite guy or no one.  Don't settle for a backup guy because we will still have KJ, Miller, Martin, Barrett and Shivers all next year.  If we can get a top bank take them but it's not a huge deal if we miss this year.  If we do we just have to make sure we get a big back next year.

Of those I only trust Miller between the tackles and Barrett if he grows into it. That's the bread n butter of our O. We need to get a feature back in this class especially if Bubba goes pro after this season as he plans to.

I think Barrett can be an in between the tackles back.  But the biggest thing for me is we need an elite back now.  We will not be running the ball as much and need a real game changer there for when he gets the opportunity to run.  We will still be run base but there won't be games that we only throw it 8 times

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Of those I only trust Miller between the tackles and Barrett if he grows into it. That's the bread n butter of our O. We need to get a feature back in this class especially if Bubba goes pro after this season as he plans to.

That is how I should of worded it. FEATURED back. Great premise E!

I think Barrett can be an in between the tackles back.  But the biggest thing for me is we need an elite back now.  We will not be running the ball as much and need a real game changer there for when he gets the opportunity to run.  We will still be run base but there won't be games that we only throw it 8 times

I think Bubba is our best RB but kerryon is a better fit with a qb like Stidham. I think barrett is going to be a elite back eventually. I have such high hopes for him.

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Running the ball not as much is only about a 5-7% change. We still will run it likely 60% of the time so a RB that can do work between the tackles remains important IMO. I like to have 3 on roster at all times that can do work between the tackles.

I think Bubba is our best RB but kerryon is a better fit with a qb like Stidham. I think barrett is going to be a elite back eventually. I have such high hopes for him.

I agree Barrett can be a very very good back.  I'm talking recruiting for the guy behind him.  That follows him as the starter the next in line kind of guy

Just now, corchjay said:

I agree Barrett can be a very very good back.  I'm talking recruiting for the guy behind him.  That follows him as the starter the next in line kind of guy

I don't think we really are looking good for any elite back in this years class unless you consider asa one and IDK how we even are doing for him now. 

When we go 1 back set Chandler cox could also easily be a pound the rock guy.  In a pinch.  And actually might not be a bad option for blitz pickup.  However I'm very interested to see how we use Cox and Kam Martin this year.  

I don't think we really are looking good for any elite back in this years class unless you consider asa one and IDK how we even are doing for him now. 

I like Pierce better. Master was the closest thing we had to a shot at elite in this class at 1 time.

Just now, ellitor said:

I like Pierce better. Master was the closest thing we had to a shot at elite in this class at 1 time.

Is he the one who dropped bama or was he the one who just said yes to Lsu the other day? 

When we go 1 back set Chandler cox could also easily be a pound the rock guy.  In a pinch.  And actually might not be a bad option for blitz pickup.  However I'm very interested to see how we use Cox and Kam Martin this year.  

From what I gather it sounds like we are going to use Cox as a flex HB more than a blocking HB because that's Chip's style.

Just now, ellitor said:

I agree.  Regardless of ranking.  For his style of back Teague was the best.  But Pierce is up there as well.  Probably top 5-10 in the big back category.  Asa is like Kerryon different kind of back but if he's the quality of a person and player that KJ is then I'd love to have Asa

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Is he the one who dropped bama or was he the one who just said yes to Lsu the other day? 

The Bama decommit. His thread should be on the first page of your recruiting forum.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Pierce is the bama decommit .  Proven sis the new LSU commit.  Probably a safety or nickel back in college

I agree.  Regardless of ranking.  For his style of back Teague was the best.  But Pierce is up there as well.  Probably top 5-10 in the big back category.  Asa is like Kerryon different kind of back but if he's the quality of a person and player that KJ is then I'd love to have Asa

I call KJ & Asa swiss army knife RBs. They both can do some of everything.

At this point in time for Running back Pierce and Asa might be the only options. Either would be a take.  Not sure Joiner or Provens were takes as running backs.  

Someone else could come into the picture as the season gets going.  

At this point in time for Running back Pierce and Asa might be the only options. Either would be a take.  Not sure Joiner or Provens were takes as running backs.  

Someone else could come into the picture as the season gets going.  

I like the Smoke kid out of Wetumpka but not sure we will give him a look.

If we have KJ, Miller and Barrett next year, then I agree that we're set. KJ can run between the tackles.

Definitely would be good to go ahead and get someone in behind them, but I agree with @corchjay. We don't need a body but we should try to lock down a legit starter if we can. Hopefully it's Pierce. Too bad it's likely not Teague, but I'm glad we're not 100% giving up on him.  

Archived