Personnel Assessment

SCTiger2011

1 minute ago, AUDynasty said:

That's what is so concerning about this offense. We rely on blown coverages, missed tackles, and defensive miscues in order to rack up yards. 

When we are challenged offensively, we do not show any sort of creativity on offense. We don't have any simple slants or outs to keep the defense honest. 

It's just baffling. Year 5 in his job, you would think the so-called offensive genius would have added some wrinkles here and there.

Well, everyone in the world knows he is not an offensive genius. He needs an athlete back there playing QB to win these type of games. That is in his DNA. If that is the case, stop recruiting the SW and JS of the world.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Clemson runs a Gus Malzahn offense, but they have evolved and improved the deficiencies.  That offense is one I would love at AU. That said, we are stale and predictable. We are unable to adjust and are incapable of improvement.

If up to me, I would want an offense like OU's over any other.

Our O used to be very unpredictable. We would catch D's with their pants down all of the time. It's like Gus lost all but two pages of his playbook. It's baffling.

8 minutes ago, WarEagle10 said:

Our O used to be very unpredictable. We would catch D's with their pants down all of the time. It's like Gus lost all but two pages of his playbook. It's baffling.

We can run fast tempo after first downs in between the 20s after first downs and after big plays...but those plays that we run after are usually runs. That was the scheme last year.  This year Auburn fast means: 1. Run up the middle, (usually by the same player from the previous play) 2. Wildcat (which kills all momentum we just had from the tempo or big play) Also the wildcat is just a fake sweep - 99.9% of the time.  I'm just a football fan, but its very predictable. 

Gus seems better suited as an offensive coordinator with someone else with their hands on the reins, or high school ball. 

3 minutes ago, WarEagle10 said:

It was because we had athletic QBs. He needs athletic QBs to win games like these, going back to his Chris Todd days. I think we got enamored by the yardage and points that we weren't accustomed to seeing prior to his arrival. But if you look at the stats, we still struggled mightily against teams with equal talent as ours.

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

It was because we had athletic QBs. He needs athletic QBs to win games like these, going back to his Chris Todd days. I think we got enamored by the yardage and points that we weren't accustomed to seeing prior to his arrival. But if you look at the stats, we still struggled mightily against teams with equal talent as ours.

honestly looking back now through the years it is amazing this chicken sh&t offense works against any sec team. Even the bottom feeders we roast. Like it is so dang predictable. There is no imagination whatsoever. Predictable playcalling over and over again. When it is bad it is sooooooooooo bad. Gus has never learned to adjust. He needs to go back to the sun belt where he can be Mark Hudspeth and have a nice career.

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

Also if Petrino can figure out to win with a Dual Threat QB that he has never had before  Gus has no excuse for never being able to win big with a successful pass first attack with a pocket passer. Good coaches find a way to win and adjust to the personel. Gus forces the personel to run his system.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Also if Petrino can figure out to win with a Dual Threat QB that he has never had before  Gus has no excuse for never being able to win big with a successful pass first attack with a pocket passer. Good coaches find a way tin and adjust to the personel. Gus forces the personel to run his system.

Petrino is a very good QB coach, but he loses big games A LOT. That is one of his major flaws besides being a personal scumbag.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Petrino is a very good QB coach, but he loses big games A LOT. That is one of his major flaws besides being a personal scumbag.

He does. That is where his biggest weakness which is recruiting comes through. He just does not have the horses on defense to hang with the big dogs of whatever conference he is in. Though that 65 points he hung on fsu last season was absolutely breathtaking offensive football.

7 hours ago, AUDynasty said:

And, I don't know what to say about Pettaway.  Evidently, his injuries have rendered him ineffective in the running game.

It has more to do with the switch from man blocking to zone blocking. Apparently Pettway can read blocks and needs to be told where the hole will be.  So basically he just runs straight into the line. It is sad to watch

I am not going to hammer the D today.  The jet sweep ( I think Roberts ) was out of place ( Trey Matthews) wouldn't have been.  As well as the dropped INT before  half time ( Trey would have probably caught it as well)  

I am going to blame the offense play calling.  Gus shows zero motivational skills.  Always looks scared and unsure of whats about to happen.   He is not a leader of men.  He may be a good man.  But to lead a team it takes guts.  Sometimes a guy needs to step up and show everyone the way, not tell them the way. 

I hate it and always have. It's ugly to watch. It completely relies on a script, and we do not adjust. We came out yesterday with a script and put up 20. LSU adjusted...we had no answer. That's too often the case; it even happens against the trash teams in the league, but we scored enough when things were working to cover. We don't seem to read what defenses are doing, we have zero intermediate passing game, our running game looks slow and ponderous between the tackles and we have serious trouble lining up and getting short yardage. These are problems consistent to Malzahn's offenses regardless of who has been the coordinator. The guy is just a bad combo. He has a scheme and sells books on it. He built up a major ego as a guru running a Sunbelt level offensive philosophy, and that's never going to consistently win in this league. He doesn't adjust and seems indifferent at fan exasperation. 

We've got to stop thinking there's some way to "trick" or shortcut our way to the top in the SEC. We're never going to have bama's talent advantage, but we have as much talent as any team in this league. We should be able to line up and get three yards. We should be able to toss an 8 yard strike to a HB or TE when the defense takes away the deep ball. We should be able to audible and make halftime adjustments and we should get the most out of the talent we have. Malzahn is incapable of this. He just has his script. 

4 hours ago, auburnpride99 said:

The jet sweep ( I think Roberts ) was out of place ( Trey Matthews) wouldn't have been.

It was Nick Tiffin.  He was there, just did not get wide enough. Which is why he is a back up. Unlike the offensive side of the ball, the defense plays the best players not favorites.

9 minutes ago, Brannigan said:

It was Nick Tiffin.  He was there, just did not get wide enough. Which is why he is a back up. Unlike the offensive side of the ball, the defense plays the best players not favorites.

the first half there were two or three plays we whiffed on like this one that makes it a half time shut out. 

On 10/15/2017 at 10:57 AM, aucom96 said:

I hate it and always have. It's ugly to watch. It completely relies on a script, and we do not adjust. We came out yesterday with a script and put up 20. LSU adjusted...we had no answer. That's too often the case; it even happens against the trash teams in the league, but we scored enough when things were working to cover. We don't seem to read what defenses are doing, we have zero intermediate passing game, our running game looks slow and ponderous between the tackles and we have serious trouble lining up and getting short yardage. These are problems consistent to Malzahn's offenses regardless of who has been the coordinator. The guy is just a bad combo. He has a scheme and sells books on it. He built up a major ego as a guru running a Sunbelt level offensive philosophy, and that's never going to consistently win in this league. He doesn't adjust and seems indifferent at fan exasperation. 

We've got to stop thinking there's some way to "trick" or shortcut our way to the top in the SEC. We're never going to have bama's talent advantage, but we have as much talent as any team in this league. We should be able to line up and get three yards. We should be able to toss an 8 yard strike to a HB or TE when the defense takes away the deep ball. We should be able to audible and make halftime adjustments and we should get the most out of the talent we have. Malzahn is incapable of this. He just has his script. 

Line up and get 3 yards? Our coach doesn't even put us in a position to get 6 inches easily. His insisting on shotgunning and wildcatting everything rather than just having your tall QB just fall forward in QB sneak fashion is just silly.

Archived